Home

This game owns my soul.

This is a discussion on This game owns my soul. within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
War Eagle

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
This game owns my soul.

Honestly, I've never played a more complete sports title. Ever.

I'm in year 3 of my Auburn dynasty, one game left in the regular season. I'm 17-9, 10-5 in the SEC. I was on a 10 game win streak, then hit a cold stretch and dropped 3 consecutive conference games. I gathered myself, and have reeled off 2 straight road wins at Arkansas and at Georgia.

I was 23-11 in my first year and won the SEC. I had a Cinderella run through the NCAA tourney and managed to make it to the Final Four before getting drilled by Kansas.

Normally, I would feel "Ah, I've got the hang of this one" and think I was going to go 32-1 in Year 2 and win the NC. But no....I do have a great season with lots of returning talent and go 29-7, but I get bounced in the second round of the NCAA tourney by Syracuse. I was as heartbroken, literally, as any time I've played a sports game. I got my #1 seed. I had a great mix of young talent and senior leadership. It was "my year". But it wasn't to be.

Year 3 has been a rollercoaster. Lots of underclassmen on my squad now, mostly frosh and sophs. I've had my ups. I've had my downs. But the game stays fresh.

I've had blowout wins, blowout losses, last second victory and a heart breaking defeat at the buzzer (to Mississippi State). I never feel like I've got the game in the bag before it starts...every game could be a war, or a 20 point blowout one way or the other.

I'm not landing the #1 recruiting class every year. I'm not even in the top 20 every year. But I get my share of studs and my prestige is improving as I see more "elite" players taking a look at Auburn as a legit Bball power with my recent success.

Name another sports title where you get to see Dave Odom retire at USC and be replaced by a REAL coach from another school. Name another sports title where after Wake Forest fires their head coach, SIX Demon Deacons transfer. That is adding another dimension of immersion to the whole experience for the gamer.

Nothing feels "cheap" in this game. I've tweaked sliders here and there..but again...I've only really had to move things a few clicks here or there...no major flaw holding the game back.

I get so into the game as I sit back and watch the weekly wrap up shows with highlights, bubble team info, etc.

Selection Sunday is still probably the single coolest video game sports addition I've ever seen as far as atmosphere goes ( ARE YOU LISTENING EA DEVELOPERS? ).

I simply cannot express how great it is for a company to CONTINUE to get a franchise "right". College Hoops has been and continues to be THE epitome of sports gaming goodness for me.

I will not be buying March Madness next year. I wil simply be waiting for what I know will be coming...fellow Hoops supporters who will update the rosters and continue to enjoy what I think is the best sports gaming title to date.

This game owns my soul.

Last edited by AuburnAlumni; 03-19-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: This game owns my soul.

Cosign completely.

I am as involved in my virtual season with Wake Forest as I am in with my favorite team in real life. Just when I think have turned the corner (upsetting #2 Clemson in their gym) I go ahead and lose 4 straight ACC games and then to make it even crazier, win 5 of my next 7 to head into ACC torney play.

It's the only hoops game I've played where I have to sit back and actually calculate how to break down zones and attack teams. You can't just run & gun or else you will be headed for a lot of frustration.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
stewaat

OVR:

Definitely agree with everything said in this thread. The AI varies and doesn't get stale. It leads to fun, challenging games.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
College Hoops has been and continues to be THE epitome of sports gaming goodness for me.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

OVR: 28

Agreed. And I haven't even played legacy or season. I started off playing single games, then online for a little while, now I'm naming all the classic/historical rosters while making to the Final 4 in Tourney mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
I smell sulfur...

Kodii Rockets's Arena

OVR: 12

Auburn, along with your seemingly annual Avatar of the year, you now receive the Greatest Thread Title award as well. I actually spit chips on my computer when I read that, LOL but the Wake coach firing and 6 players transferring is AWESOME!!! that is totally unexpected and totally uneccessary, beautiful. I have to say that I agree with you wholeheartedly, as far as depth, realism, and fun factor go this game can't be beat.

Also looking for solid CF25 Dynasty owners, follow the link to get started >> PS5 P5 Dynasty Discord
Old 03-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
Rookie

Intelx's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Honestly, I've never played a more complete sports title. Ever.

I'm in year 3 of my Auburn dynasty, one game left in the regular season. I'm 17-9, 10-5 in the SEC. I was on a 10 game win streak, then hit a cold stretch and dropped 3 consecutive conference games. I gathered myself, and have reeled off 2 straight road wins at Arkansas and at Georgia.

I was 23-11 in my first year and won the SEC. I had a Cinderella run through the NCAA tourney and managed to make it to the Final Four before getting drilled by Kansas.

Normally, I would feel "Ah, I've got the hang of this one" and think I was going to go 32-1 in Year 2 and win the NC. But no....I do have a great season with lots of returning talent and go 29-7, but I get bounced in the second round of the NCAA tourney by Syracuse. I was as heartbroken, literally, as any time I've played a sports game. I got my #1 seed. I had a great mix of young talent and senior leadership. It was "my year". But it wasn't to be.

Year 3 has been a rollercoaster. Lots of underclassmen on my squad now, mostly frosh and sophs. I've had my ups. I've had my downs. But the game stays fresh.

I've had blowout wins, blowout losses, last second victory and a heart breaking defeat at the buzzer (to Mississippi State). I never feel like I've got the game in the bag before it starts...every game could be a war, or a 20 point blowout one way or the other.

I'm not landing the #1 recruiting class every year. I'm not even in the top 20 every year. But I get my share of studs and my prestige is improving as I see more "elite" players taking a look at Auburn as a legit Bball power with my recent success.

Name another sports title where you get to see Dave Odom retire at USC and be replaced by a REAL coach from another school. Name another sports title where after Wake Forest fires their head coach, SIX Demon Deacons transfer. That is adding another dimension of immersion to the whole experience for the gamer.

Nothing feels "cheap" in this game. I've tweaked sliders here and there..but again...I've only really had to move things a few clicks here or there...no major flaw holding the game back.

I get so into the game as I sit back and watch the weekly wrap up shows with highlights, bubble team info, etc.

Selection Sunday is still probably the single coolest video game sports addition I've ever seen as far as atmosphere goes ( ARE YOU LISTENING EA DEVELOPERS? ).

I simply cannot express how great it is for a company to CONTINUE to get a franchise "right". College Hoops has been and continues to be THE epitome of sports gaming goodness for me.

I will not be buying March Madness next year. I wil simply be waiting for what I know will be coming...fellow Hoops supporters who will update the rosters and continue to enjoy what I think is the best sports gaming title to date.

This game owns my soul.
How can I not co-sign this!

Intelx
Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Have you guys ever got so entangled in your own dynasties you get confused about what happening in real life? Last night was watching SportsCenter and they were breaking down the south region and were talking about Oregon vs. Mississippi St. and I said to myself..I thought Oregon didn't make it, only to realize that it was in my dynasty were Oregon was left on the outside looking in.

By the way, I love this game too. I'm addicted to the point where I keep putting off a 10 page paper I have not started yet, just to play 10 minute ABL games. I've only finished the first year of my closed dynasty but I hope I get the same parity you describe. Last year I would dominate my conference losing only 3 conference games in 2 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »