Home

MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #401
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions

True Knight lol

The biggest mistake is leaving pitchers in too long or giving it to the batters IMO..

Anyways just dropped the first game at Baltimore.. Tex had a terrible game in the field.
Was up 1-0 and then

Spoiler

Ended up losing 6-1. Tex also added a boot later in game.

Currently 4-3 record....
Loving the variety of games and occurrences.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #402
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

OVR: 0

WAIT!!!! THERE'S A COMEBACK CODE????? that explains so much. LOL

actually the first few games I played before starting my franchise, I won each game with ease with no problems with hitting, pitching, fielding, or base running. but then I started my franchise and things just nose dived on me, my hitting went cold and baserunning(totally my fault, although sometimes it seemed that my commands weren't registering when trying to get a runner to run home from second with another guy on the base path) but the most complexing was that my bullpen couldn't get a out to save their life, every single one of my reliever gave up multiple runs and would lose the game on me. this went on for the first 6 games of my franchise going 2 for 4 . but after that I've been on a 5 game winning streak and even making comebacks from a good deficit(which I always use to struggle with, if I was down by 3 or 4 runs by the 8th inning in the past I always counted on losing that game) but yet this time I was down 6 to 1 in the 9th and scoring 6 runs for the win and my relievers are starting to get outs.

So really this game plays to both the user and the cpu equally, you will have your up's were everything is going your way and the down's were it seems you can't do anything right. I don't think gameplay has ever been a issue for out of the 6 years I've been playing this series.

Last edited by ryanmc564; 04-09-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #403
Rookie

OVR: 3

This is the best the game has ever played out of the box, at least if you play offline. The only slider I've touched is the solid hits one, lowering it a couple notches, and I don't anticipate messing around with many others. Pitch speed, fielder speed, baserunners... All that feels phenomenal. Even better, I'm actually seeing balls hit over outfielders' heads. My god, it's a thing of beauty! I could stand to see some more bloops, but that's kinda nitpicking. This team deserves all the kudos for putting out a fully functional, playable game on day 1. Seriously, that's so rare these day.

One area of the gameplay that still needs improvement is hits down the line. Even hard hit balls past or over the third baseman don't really roll to the corners, instead just dying in the outfield grass. If a ball is hit to the right of the third baseman, it most likely is going to get into the LF corner. That rarely happens in the Show. Usually the LF cuts the ball off and holds my guy to a single. I know this has been an issue in the past and that the development team has worked on it, but it's just not there yet.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #404
Banned

OVR: 20

As much as I adore what they've done here with the Partly Cloudy lighting system, I wish Overcast got some similar treatment. Would be fantastic if when selecting Overcast the Party Cloudy system would go into effect for like a half-inning here and there, where the sun peeks through the clouds for the first in like the bottom of the sixth or whatever.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #405
Pro

OVR: 0

One thing I would suggest is letting players adjust the sensitivity of the PCI movement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #406
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

The most impressive aspect of The Show '15 to me is the overhaul of the fielding system. The smoothness of fielding animations is just so natural this year. To me they spent a great amount of time cleaning this up. In '14 it was an area that was quite an eyesore to be completely honest. Too many times you saw IF'ers do unnatural movements and attempt crazy throws. The level of improvement in this aspect has made the game so organic.

Let me go ahead and list some other things I'm enjoying:
+ The extra 0.5 seconds you get to watch the flight of the ball after contact (catcher view hitting)
+ The slide step was something that needed to be in and it's a great tool
+ The added slide animations are top notch
+ I feel like the ball physics were improved overall. I'm seeing some great hit variety on Timing hitting
+ The licensed equipment adds an overall immersion and presentation factor that I didn't think would be this impactful
+ Improvements to quick counts. Less 3-ball/2-strike counts BUT they are still there.
+ Outfield animations are more crisp. No longer tied into long animations that often
+ Revamped pitch movement. I feel like I see the ball so much better this year and it's because you can read the pitches out of the hand better. Overall the movement is just spot on, I love it.

I've had a few small issues but they pale in comparison to the improvements.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 04-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #407
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Well 9 games into my franchise and I'm loving it as much as ever.
Just dropped 2 of 3 at Baltimore and have a record of 6-3. Next up is a series vs the 10-0 Rays.
Should be a fun 1.
Co-sign on the smoothness of the fielding.
The variety of games is very nice also.
Then there's the so far constant of CC not making it past the 5th inning lol
So far he's been abysmal in his 2 starts.

Hopefully he turns it around sooner rather than later.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 04-10-2015, 05:02 AM   #408
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Been playing the Royals vs. Giants while I wait for the install, very impressed! I'm not easily impressed either.

Things that jump out:

-Lighting is a big improvement. Game looks a lot better than 14.
-Hit trajectory and variety is a lot better. I'm seeing a lot more hits over the infield and in front of the outfield for example, something 14 didn't have enough of.
-Better fielding animations.

Also, I'm really liking the new hit direction control. It feels very realistic to get that pitch inside, and pointing the L-stick in that direction to simulate a hitter pulling his hands inside the ball. Or on the flip side, to push away simulating a hitting keeping his front should closed. It captures that aspect very well.

It also seems that you aren't locked into that spray style of hitting, in other words it seems like you can still pull outside pitches if you want, but it's tough to tell after only a brief bit of playing.
Nothing really positive to say beyond this. The series feels very stale. Pitchers still pound the strike zone too much, and are still too good at throwing a strike when they need one. I've been bringing this up as an issue for a while now, past couple of years at least, and for whatever reason nothing gets done about it. CPU Pitchers never really labor, and they never seem to get in jams and struggle, all because the AI is too good at throwing pitches inside the zone when they need a strike.

Tried playing a franchise for the first time in a few years, and the mode is just as bad as I remember. Managing your team as GM is still a convoluted mess. The mode is no fun at all. You have to back in and out of menus for even the simplest things. You never really get the sense that you are part of a league, because everything is detached. To get a grip on the state of your team you have to search through a number of different places. To get a grip on where your team fits into the league you have to search through even more.

They desperately need to do something about franchise. Burn it down, start from scratch, incorporate modern baseball ideas, make organizational depth charts matter down to every last detail like LH relievers and RH power and OBP and so on and so forth, make organizational strengths and weaknesses matter so you know how to draft and what to try and trade for, give the other GMs some sense of life so it feels like there is some interaction...

Yes, it needs a serious revamp.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »