Home

NBA 2K15 - 44 More Details About the Game

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 - 44 More Details About the Game within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #97
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Game Informer: 44 Things We Know about NBA 2K15

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Okay, now THAT'S a problem. I'm gonna need some more details on that one. Cause there is no reason that Doc Rivers should just be taking over any team that you play for in your second year.
ARRRGH.

MORE OF THE PRE-SCRIPTED STORYLINE STUFF that pretty much randomly hijacks "your" career for a story that you don't even want.

Especially when Doc is one of my most disliked coaches as a Warrior fan, and now I'm supposed to play for him as if Kerr was immediately let go? Come on.

Which is doubly silly because Kerr worked for 2K. And he's literally next door if they want him to do a few lines.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #98
Rookie

OVR: 0
Is the Doc Rivers that disappointing to people? Like seriously, if you don't like it I'm sure there is a way around it. Perhaps you demand a trade your 2nd season and land on some other team. Would Rivers follow you there or will he be there the following season? Is there even a 'request a trade' option? I'm not too bothered with the Rivers thing but it's certainly not something that ruins the mycareer experience, I mean really who cares who your coach is, I just want to drain BUCKETS.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #99
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by luda06
Is the issue with Doc Rivers an immersion breaker, or you guys don't like Doc at all? He might provide some insightful tips.
Both.

I get the feeling whoever is in charge of the story elements in MyPlayer doesn't quite get how inauthentic much of the story-based or story-influenced decisions can come across to more-than-****** NBA fans. Lot of it has a vibe of "video game writing, so whatever"-- rather than being written it so it doesn't come across as one. But Doc agreed so he had to be shoehorned in somehow. Seemingly in the most jarring way possible (your 2nd year, rather than a few down the line where anything can happen).
Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #100
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NBA 2K15 - 44 More Details About the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCitizen
Is the Doc Rivers that disappointing to people? Like seriously, if you don't like it I'm sure there is a way around it. Perhaps you demand a trade your 2nd season and land on some other team. Would Rivers follow you there or will he be there the following season? Is there even a 'request a trade' option? I'm not too bothered with the Rivers thing but it's certainly not something that ruins the mycareer experience, I mean really who cares who your coach is, I just want to drain BUCKETS.
The problem with having a storyline mode is you have to stick to certain scripts I don't play Mycareer but if you want to freelance things the storyline doesn't suit your needs. Just like people want control over association like Myleage I think people want control over Mycareer. Need to be able to edit or alter the script to the users liking.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #101
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I believe Doc is the only coach who did a voice session so thats why.

People need to start thinking of this more as a story mode and not a career simulator. In a story mode, you have to interact with the players and have to be involved in the events the mode has. You have limited control over what happens in the mode other than the games you play and choices the mode allows you to make.
There's no real reason people should simply accept that MyCareer is just a linear story mode, especially when its legacy was a career simulator.

Imagine if people just "accepted" that MyGM was a story mode for Association and that's all we'll ever get, rather than fight for the return of MyLeague. What if we slowly just accepted that you always get fired in your 2nd year and win a championship in your 4th year?

MyCareer can easily return to its simulation/dynamic roots, while retaining the story elements. 2K just has to not be so heavy handed with them and be so caught up with their additions as to sacrifice gameplay and immersion (and what's the point of a story that breaks immersion?)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #102
Pro

Bolt957's Arena

OVR: 14
Things I took away from this:

Wasn't mentioned. so it looks like another year of not being able to select uniforms in MyCareer.

Don't know if I like Doc Rivers automatically being the coach in Season 2, no matter where you are playing. What if you get traded in Season 2, does Doc get traded along with you?

Like to hear you can use NBA players' hairstyles & features in Create A Player.

Like that there have been improvements in AI as far as the small spaces issues and the AI in general. Hopefully AI is improved well in MyCareer as well.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #103
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Both.

I get the feeling whoever is in charge of the story elements in MyPlayer doesn't quite get how inauthentic much of the story-based or story-influenced decisions can come across to more-than-****** NBA fans. Lot of it has a vibe of "video game writing, so whatever"-- rather than being written it so it doesn't come across as one. But Doc agreed so he had to be shoehorned in somehow. Seemingly in the most jarring way possible (your 2nd year, rather than a few down the line where anything can happen).
I definitely agree here. I've wondered who is in charge of some the decisions on the story elements in this mode, and that has gone back to 2k14. It definitely has the smell of a story written "by ****** basketball fans for ****** basketball fans" who just want to play through nondescript "rivalries" and have "alpha dog drama" without actually caring about the plausibility of the script. I mean ever since I got that dynamic goal of my literal coach telling me, a rookie bench player, to go out and "drop 25 points hotshot and give us a double digit win" I've suspected this.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #104
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: NBA 2K15 - 44 More Details About the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCitizen
It is to me. I don't like story modes in sports games, hate them really. That's just me though.

I probably won't touch MyPlayer too much now, why? I can probably watch Chris Smoove videos and get the same experience. That's what worries me, that the game will force my player down into a path I don't want. I rather not have the voice overs and it just be more open-ended. That's just me though.

Everything else though...I can't wait for this game. Even if I never touch myPlayer, seems plenty to do with the franchise modes and maybe even a park mode and MyTeam.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »