Home

Revamped Overall Formula for NBA 2K15 Player Ratings Explained

This is a discussion on Revamped Overall Formula for NBA 2K15 Player Ratings Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #65
MVP

seanbarkley's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Revamped Overall Formula for NBA 2K15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Who said there was any harm to having overalls?

Players in today's NBA don't have any overalls attached to them. Rookies in the scouting combine don't have overalls attached to them.

Can't you look at individual attributes and make your own determination? The overall rating is just a number and has no substantial meaning to me. I'm confident I could go in there and make a 90 OVR player that nobody would want on their team.
...to you (and me and a lot of OS users), but it has for most of the 'not so hardcore' fans/players of this game. Many people don't have the time or simply don't want to go so deep into the game, just that, and take into account that those are the vast majority. IMO 2K is combining both worlds perfectly with the system they are developing.

Last edited by seanbarkley; 09-04-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Interesting but my question is what data would drive a players value per system when all players have not performed under each system.

wouldn't that be mostly up for interpretation or is there existing data that shows a players effectiveness in a particular system?

I think what he means to say is more or less an evolution of the coach slider system.

For example we know D'Antoni favors spotup 3pt shooting, transition, and pick & rolls.
Prime Steve Nash would rate higher in his system, while Pau Gasol would rate lower.
The catch is not all 30 teams are coached by someone like D'Antoni whose offensive approach is easily defined due to it's extremities.

It's also not necessary and just confuses things. If a player has a higher OVR in a specific system than that messes with trade values considerably. Because then teams where the player doesn't fit will be placing a higher priority on that player.

Quote:
We don't necessarily know how a player will fare in a given system until we see him in it do we ?
There are some markers when you look at play-by-play data, but it's ultimately true.
Jamal Crawford serves as a good example. He was a combo guard before joining the Clippers and now is exclusively a SG. His efficiency has gone up because he takes considerably more spotup threes now. However, given his player history, it would have been just as likely that he'd take possessions away from Chris Paul. There isn't really any way to conclusively know until the player takes the court. Kevin Garnett didn't look like such a great pickup when the season started, did he?

Quote:
To me it just initially I think that would cause as many issues as it solves especially since it could be mostly user opinion that would drive it.
In short, yes.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 09-04-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Who said there was any harm to having overalls?

Players in today's NBA don't have any overalls attached to them. Rookies in the scouting combine don't have overalls attached to them.

Can't you look at individual attributes and make your own determination? The overall rating is just a number and has no substantial meaning to me. I'm confident I could go in there and make a 90 OVR player that nobody would want on their team.
And how do you translate a persons eye test determination of a player's skill in real life into a video game?

Last edited by eko718; 09-04-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #68
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

To me it's not that difficult to quickly scroll through ratings and get an idea of what a guy is good and/or bad at.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 09-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #69
MVP

Quote:
To me it's not that difficult to quickly scroll through ratings and get an idea of what a guy is good and/or bad at.
Sure, as can I, but that's not the point I was making. There will still be need to organize players in the game. Would you prefer when scouting prospects in Association for the players to be randomly arranged to where you would have to go in and blindly scout guys to discover who the top players are? There will always need to be a system of organization.

When I said I don't see the "harm" in having an overall rating, I mean I don't understand the argument for removing it... maybe you can elaborate on why removing it would be beneficial?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #70
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Prospects:
Give projections and player comparisons.

How to organize:
List them alphabetically or by projected starters first. They can have OVR under the hood, I just don't like the visual attribute as I believe it is doesn't hold much substance. You can have two 90 rated guys and they could be polar opposites

Issue I see with overall rating:
I see guys use it to justify ripping off the CPU in all sports games that I play (NBA/MLB/NFL). I think people put way too much stock into OVR.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 09-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #71
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

So we can potentially see CPU teams go after AND start the guys who are one-dimensional yet incredibly valuable to the team, like Kyle Korver or Tony Allen?

This is great news.

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #72
MVP

Quote:
Prospects:
Give projections and player comparisons.

How to organize:
List them alphabetically or by projected starters first. They can have OVR under the hood, I just don't like the visual attribute as I believe it is doesn't hold much substance. You can have two 90 rated guys and they could be polar opposites

Issue I see with overall rating:
I see guys use it to justify ripping off the CPU in all sports games that I play (NBA/MLB/NFL). I think people put way too much stock into OVR.
And that's my point I guess, as this seems to be the main issue folks have with the overall rating. I understand that, but ultimately, there is no concrete advantage to removing it, especially when the reason is one of visual/subjective annoyance. Whether under the hood or visible, it or some iteration of it is necessary. It drives so many systems in the game that it would probably break the game to remove it completely.

Maybe they can implement an option to visually turn it off, but either way they seem to be moving in the right direction with trying to make it more specific and meaningful.

Last edited by eko718; 09-04-2014 at 01:26 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »