Home

Why The NFL 2K Series Was Truly Great And Why You Should Miss It

This is a discussion on Why The NFL 2K Series Was Truly Great And Why You Should Miss It within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm sorry but you guys overrate 2k5 so much. I'll never understand why so many believe that's the greatest football game ever.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:18 AM   #50
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Great write up, only thing missing is the "Lonely Man" theme playing at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0w1W5RGx9Q

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 07-20-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 AM   #51
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Why The NFL 2K Series Was Truly Great And Why You Should Miss It

I'm really disappointed that I missed out on playing this game as I'm from Australia...I can't seem to find a copy on PAL!, fantastic to see a community get so passionate and nostalgic about a football game!...very similar to the college hoops crowd!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2014, 02:33 AM   #52
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Meh, if we're going to post thoughts about NFL 2K5, I might as well join the party.

Things I liked:

- The passing game. It was always a strength of the 2K football games, IMO.
- Gameplay in general. Power-Os, draw plays, designed shovel passes, tiered play calling, package substitutions... there was a lot to like.
- The shoulder barge ballcarrier move. I abused the hell out of this sometimes, lol. Madden didn't have an equivalent for this until right-stick moves were introduced in Madden 07.
- Presentation / commentary / etc. We all know about this. This is a staple strength of 2K Sports.
- Custom stadium sounds. Added to the atmosphere by allowing the user to make the atmosphere whatever he wanted.
- Virtual Identity Profile: the most underrated feature to ever see the light of day in a sports game. I remember out of curiosity setting up a game against the CPU controlling my V.I.P., and I'll be damned if it didn't do every last thing I liked to do, all the way from play calling to snap count to hot routes to ballcarrier move usage. It was scary. Very few times have I been outright wowed in a sports game; this was one of those times.
- The NFL Combine. IMO only this game and NFL Head Coach 09 have really done the pre-draft process any justice with respect to user gameplay mechanics and realism of said mechanics.

Things I didn't like:

- Weekly Prep. For me this was not an enjoyable video game mechanic to interact with; manipulating it was akin to managing an Excel spreadsheet. Further, to me it always felt like a guessing game as to how to actually consistently get good results out of it. I remember having to look up guides on this forum for it in an attempt to even vaguely understand it; these guides seemingly always ultimately boiled down to "plug in these options and it will mostly work". At some point I ended up ignoring Weekly Prep altogether.
- Player progression. To this day I have absolutely no clue how player progression in any NFL 2K game worked. I was particularly disenchanted after my young Pro-Bowl-making Super-Bowl-winning quarterback went down significantly in ratings after the offseason concluded with absolutely no feedback as to why this happened.
- CPU-CPU trade logic. It was improved over ESPN NFL Football 2K4 which I remember being shockingly bad in this regard, but I still remember wonkiness here. Granted, Madden didn't have CPU-CPU trading at all at the time, but I'd rather that than outright stupidity.
- Inability to play franchise games out of order on the weekly schedule. This lack of functionality on its own - which Madden 2005 had, by contrast - prevented me from ever running an offline franchise with friends, and given no XBOX Live (and I was the only person I knew with an XBOX, everyone else had PS2), online leagues were no object to me even though they existed in the game.
- The NFL Draft. The notorious first-round AI bug ruined a lot of the strategy and drama from this component; CPU teams would only ever draft QB, RB, OT, or DE in Round 1. For me this was the straw that broke the camel's back for NFL 2K5's franchise mode.
- Minor bugs. Again, I didn't have XBOX Live at the time, so these may have been patched at some point, but I remember issues with Clipping penalties subtracting from a ballcarrier's rushing total (the gain was cancelled and then 15 yards was subtracted from the runner's total), and there were issues with safeties in deep splits running in circles at times (which was a point of debate for roster makers, who kept toying around with the Aggression rating attempting to mitigate the issue, IIRC). These were more annoying than anything else, but worth noting for completeness.

I greatly preferred NFL 2K5 to Madden 2005 and NCAA 2005 with respect to how it played on the field. The core football gameplay of NFL 2K5 on its own still holds up to this day very well, IMO, as evidenced by All Pro Football 2K8 which refined it. Being a franchise mode guy, however, the issues I had with that component eventually shelved this game for me and I haven't really ever had the desire to pick it back up again on that accord. For me personally, I consider the more recent Madden games (M12 onward) as better on-the-whole games than NFL 2K5 when evaluating them holistically, and I honestly haven't really missed NFL 2K5 since Madden 10 was released.

It was a really fun game, don't get me wrong; I just have moved on.

Last edited by Hooe; 07-20-2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: clarifications
Old 07-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #53
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

OVR: 7

Great Read! CM
Old 07-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #54
Pro

OVR: 4

I agree with your post CM, but for me it's hard to be critical of a game that came out in 2004 instead of the yearly editions we get of madden each year. I feel a lot of those flaws would have been addressed by now if they were still able to make nfl games. The thought of a football game having player tendencies like in the 2k basketball games would make most of us drool, and they were heading in that direction in apf with player traits. I really liked that idea.

The only reasons I play 2K5 now is because I prefer it's gameplay and I'm a big presentation guy, areas I feel are lacking in Madden. In 2K5, I can really feel a difference in power vs speed rbs, and I like it's defensive line play better. But 2K5 old as dirt though and has some major flaws that are game game enders for some people, so if Madden 15 improves it's a.i. and/or commentary on current gen(don't have the money to upgrade right now), then I'll pick it up in an instant.

I'd like it a lot better if 2K5 was just a retro game for me to play occasionally instead of being my main football fix because that's what it should be.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #55
Just started!

OVR: 0
Loved the NFL 2K series. Enjoyed it more, than the Madden series. I still own every NFL 2K game on the original Xbox. NFL 2K5 was my favorite game of the series and maybe my favorite football game, ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #56
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

It's hard to believe that it's been ten years since the game came out. That absolutely blows my mind because it feels like just yesterday that my Mom drove me to the store right after camp to go get the game, and only for $20. I spent so much time on that game, and it did so many things right that are still not in any game available today.

Some of the unsung features that I loved and that should be included in sports games today:

VIP System- God how that made the game shine! It was neat going head to head against every coach in the game and their different systems. You could also go online and download other people's gameplans and I could also practice against my family without them being there.

The Crib- It may seem kind of corny, but that was fun to have a pad and decorate it however you wished with memorabilia and games you could actually play. I've always thought that could replace the current menu in games, but I guess I'm in the minority on that one.

Slot Machine/Schoolyard Pick- I remember playing against my friends with the slot machine where you didn't know what players you would get until you pressed the button. There was also a two team draft that you could do before a game. I think that would be pretty neat if it came back in a game today.

That game did have some flaws but to me it was as close to a perfect game as one could get to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »