Home

Why The NFL 2K Series Was Truly Great And Why You Should Miss It

This is a discussion on Why The NFL 2K Series Was Truly Great And Why You Should Miss It within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #41
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
I really hope 2k has a CFL game in the works. I'm not Canadian but CFL is the second most popular professional sports league in Canada so it would be a sound investment there. 2k's name and past work on titles like NFL 2k5 and APF 2k8 would pull in American gamers too, especially if received well critically, which shouldn't at all be an issue if it's a fully featured game. Even though the CFL has 9 teams, a cool expansion feature would be nice where you can add teams you either created or from Junior football leagues in Canada that hopefully would be in the game. I don't even care for the amount of teams, the gameplay would be stellar I'm positive on new hardware.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #42
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Dozer
*sigh*

I still don't understand why they don't start making 2K football again. I couldn't possibly care any less about the NFL license. The ability to edit detail about all players and teams is WAY more important to me. My current football game is Madden 13 for Wii, in which I've used spreadsheets to create completely random players. So yeah, don't care even a little about having real players. And with the ability to edit everything, you can make them if you want.
Exactly. I would do just fine with fictional teams as long as the game was still fully featured (franchise, career, etc) and had tons of customization. They would have the advantage of putting in things that they couldn't with an NFL license, like certain hits, the trash talk in APF, and much much more. They can still have their pre, halftime, post, and weekly shows just like NFL 2k5. If done well, I'd be just as immersed or even more in this fictional-team game than I would be in an NFL licensed game. The NFL license doesn't matter when you have your 2k name as a selling point, critical receptions, word of mouth, and I would probably advise to price the game at $50 or $55.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #43
Pro

Jakeness23's Arena

OVR: 27
All I ask for is to just TRY a generic game while letting the player create the players, teams, stadiums, logos, etc. Maybe it won't sell well at first, but if you have good gameplay and can bring those features back from 2K5, it won't take long to dethrone Madden. You save a lot of money by not paying for the NFL and NFLPA licenses. JUST TRY IT! 2K, SCEA, anyone, just make an attempt. We need competition for football gaming if we ever want it to get better.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #44
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Love the article and wish NFL 2K could have kept going because I believe we'd be a lot further along the game development path.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #45
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Still no weekly recap show or halftime show in Madden a full DACADE later. One of the many shames of EASports and the Madden franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Why The NFL 2K Series Was Truly Great And Why You Should Miss It

Great read, brought back a lot memories, gaming and personal.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Why The NFL 2K Series Was Truly Great And Why You Should Miss It

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Contrary to common belief, ESPN NFL Football was not the first videogame to feature an in-helmet perspective; that honor belongs to Digital Pictures' Quarterback Attack With Mike Ditka, released on the SEGA Saturn in 1995 and the 3DO in 1996.
The first football game to do this was GFL Championship Football:

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/gf...ip-football-80
Old 07-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #48
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15
Fantastic article. Such a great game. I will never forget this series. It really sucked me in more than any football game ever has since, with 2k5 being the pinnacle.

I have not really enjoyed a football game since, with All Pro Football being the exception.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »