Home

NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #1489
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I think this is the only videogame that you can be ridiculed for liking, and I'm sure plenty of naysayers will chime in and downplay the post, but I feel like it does a lot of basketball plays right. You don't have super psychic defenders picking off passes with their backs turned to the play, nor the ball passing through 3 of your defenders torso's. If you try to pass through the lane, most of the time you better have a true opening, as the ball will hit legs, bodies, heads, etc and react accordingly. I tried to pass through defense, and Beasley's arm was swinging as he was running, the ball hit his fist and went flying into the air, just as you'd expect it to do.
For me it's not about ridiculing people for liking this game. For me it's about people making broad statements about the good things in this game and why they like it without details, but going into immense detail about what they don't like about the competition. Also for liking something in this game more and giving it more credit when the competitions game does something similar or the same thing. It just comes off as people preferring this game because it's something different and having extreme distaste for the competition. I would love to have an option in the future, so I'm just trying to understand the appeal, because I don't get it from the footage I see. I think I get it though.....

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

Last edited by SageInfinite; 01-19-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #1490
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
In my case, the Computer AI and your teammate AI is what keeps me here. Your teammates make smart basketball plays (for the most part) both on offense and defense. Whether it be rotations, help defense, showing help but staying home on defense, or setting a backscreen for your teammate, running off of double screens, making hard cuts, etc on offense... that's where it's
True story... This is my main reason as well. My teammate aren't leaving their player for some odd reason, they'll set picks in appreciate areas and also, hedge on screens when you want them too. When I play a game, I don't want to be pissed off cause my idiot AI defender left a man wide open for three.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #1491
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
For me it's not about ridiculing people for liking this game. For me it's about people making broad statements about the good things in this game and why they like it without details, but going into immense detail about what they don't like about the competition. Also for liking something in this game more and giving it more credit when the competitions game does something similar or the same thing. It just comes off as people preferring this game because it's something different and having extreme distaste for the competition. I would love to have an option in the future, so I'm just trying to understand the appeal, because I don't get it from the footage I see. I think I get it though.....
Oh I know. I was just answering my opinion. My love for the game is purely on what it does right, and that's what keeps me coming back and posting as in depth as I do.

Do I wish that others wouldn't be ridiculed for enjoying the game? You bet. I have had more pm's from thankful people who are enjoying the game after reading the impressions and more messages on youtube, which is great. Glad that others have given it a fair shake.

I have never been in the minority on a video game really, but regardless, I will still give my impressions and what I'm seeing, popular or not.

Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it in the future. A few tweaks from where I'm at and it'll be golden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #1492
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
What does that mean as far as basketball videogames go? It's more fundamentally sound?

Court spacing is great.

I love the fact that i'm not forced to run to a certain spot on the floor for plays to start.

Players help with purpose.

Multiple ways to set up how you play the ball handler and screens.

Just small things man, simple basketball. It really helps to have a designer that actually knows basketball on the staff.

I feel like you guys are trying to turn anyone that says anything positive about the game into a hyperbole lol. I, by NO means, am saying this game is great, or even good. Im just saying that its a nice alternative to playing a game full of flashy passes, alley oops, and windmill dunks in traffic, while shooting 70% every game.

Sent from the Laboratory at SimNation Headquarters using Tapatalk
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 01-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #1493
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Hopefully we can keep this discussion mature. If not, I'll have to stop everyone.

I don't want to answer for que, but I agree with you to a point. I think there are issues in games that typically kill much of the experience for some, specifically teammate AI. while I don't want to start comparing the two (and I'll probably regret bringing this up) there are issues with 2k14's defensive rotations, the way players don't know when to use turbo or get in a defensive stance. These things, since they aren't in the player's control frustrate people and I don't see those SPECIFIC issues here. Players generally stay on their man and rotate properly. They do a good job not crowding certain sides of the court. And there are others...

I liken it to baseball games though. The one on one is a huge part of a basketball game, much like the batter pitcher interface. You're always in control of one guy and going against one defender. This area, whether it is facing up, in the post, etc. needs to be deep to me. Can jab step left? Right? Fake spin? Launch? Quick step back into a pull up? Double fake? All of this is huge for me. I've spent two-three community days telling EA this and the controls were never fleshed out to the depth I detailed. Until I start seeing deeper controls the game just seems shallow. If you can overlook this and want simple X's and O's the game seems to be doing that with very minor warts. I believe that is the draw and the "fundamentals" guys will point to. But you're right - you can have a fundamentally sound game but we've had that in previous years. Unless Live and ID now all of a sudden were not of the like...
The main reason I have such high hopes for the Live series is because of the strong foundation set in this first next gen effort. Looking very much forward to Live 15.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #1494
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
I feel like you guys are trying to turn anyone that says anything positive about the game into a hyperbole lol. I, by NO means, am saying this game is great, or even good. Im just saying that its a nice alternative to playing a game full of flashy passes, alley oops, and windmill dunks in traffic, while shooting 70% every game.

Sent from the Laboratory at SimNation Headquarters using Tapatalk

You say this, then give a hyperbole yourself...y'all say this stuff, throw a "oh it's not perfect" out there and don't expect a response, lol

To be honest...this is the game with the most dunking in traffic, and the higher PIP totals...however some want to rationalize it...

It's all about what your willing to deal with....don't know why we can't just leave it at that...
Old 01-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #1495
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
You say this, then give a hyperbole yourself...y'all say this stuff, throw a "oh it's not perfect" out there and don't expect a response, lol

To be honest...this is the game with the most dunking in traffic, and the higher PIP totals...however some want to rationalize it...

It's all about what your willing to deal with....don't know why we can't just leave it at that...
I could go on and on and on about everything negative in this game just like you could. But what would be the point? Everyone with eyes knows this game has issues, huge issues. But because I choose to not bash, and praise it on what it actually does right, thats a hyperbole?
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #1496
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston

I just asked a question about your statement. Appreciate your answer. It's all about perception. You perceive those things to happen in 2k every game, I can say I don't. It's just when people make statements like that, it makes me believe people just prefer Live over the competition, which is fine.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »