Home

NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-02-2014, 04:05 AM   #1025
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

Just lost a heartbreaker to OKC, Westbrook and Durrant both went for 28. Played on pro they really need to up fouls and get the CPU to shot more mid range and/or 3's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (196.7 KB, 118 views)

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #1026
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_sr
finally experienced the cpu holding the ball in a close game glitch smh

just got it again too....

Clippers down 1 with :30 seconds left, Paul dribbles until the clock runs out...
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #1027
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
just got it again too....

Clippers down 1 with :30 seconds left, Paul dribbles until the clock runs out...
Maybe he didn't notice the score. Dione the guy a break.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #1028
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

Why are you upping all those old discussions man? Lol
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #1029
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

ok so i finally got my own xbox one and live 14 (was going to wait and do a digital download but it was only $37 on amazon at the time) so i feel that i can do a real impression of the game now lol. i didnt play against the cpu at all until monday so i didnt realize how much i was missing by just playing against my friend. i havent played too many games yet but here are my thoughts so far from both the last week and the few games i had played prior to owning it. this may be kinda long since im just going to type things as they come to mind and i will try to keep 2k comparisons to a minimum and only related to the controls:

so i put the disc in and waited for it to install while watching tv (one of the xb ones best features imo - snap). once it was done booted it up and started up a quick game.

graphically the game is not nearly as bad as the reviews make it sound at least imo. the crowd looks decent and players look good. its obviously not on 2ks level graphically but i think it looks good especially in game with the espn overlays and scoreboard.

the first thing i did after tipoff was turn on automotion. started playing (as the cavs of course) for about a quarter and was a little disappointed on both sides of the ball. my team didnt seem to move around too much nor did the cpu.

so i quit out to the main screen and was going to try to find a game online just to test the lag that ive heard about. well it turns out that i wasnt connected to eas servers yet. as soon as i connected i had a roster update and three other updates to download. i thought they had already downloaded automatically while i was watching tv and not paying attention but sure enough they did not.

once the updates were done i decided to try another quick game and immediately noticed the difference. varejao was setting screens bynum was posting up and every so often my team would just clear out for kyrie. all without me having to issue a single command. i would use the screens and my perimeter players would move into position in case i needed to pass out. the cpu defense rotated well and i very rarely scored in the paint. of course at this time i didnt know a majority of the controls outside of dribbling. bynums post ups were pretty worthless to me and i called for a few five second back to baskets because i wasnt sure how to do post moves outside of fakes (i was still trying to use the 2k controls). the controls definitely take a lot of getting used to especially coming from nba 2k for the last 4 years. it took me a while to get used to holding the screen button again a la live 09 so i had a few hiccups where i made the screener slip by accident.

on the defensive end it was the opposite. the cpu clearly knew all of the moves at their disposal and how to use them. they spaced the floor well and ran smart screens both on and off the ball (probably running plays which i hadnt done yet) and reacted well to how i defended. a few times i decided to take the approach i would take in 2k when i saw a screen and just run into it immediately to get it out of the way. well that was a mistake because the cpu just ignored the screen and went the other way for an easy layup. as soon as i saw that i remembered wtfs posts saying how they reacted to trying to pull something like that lol.

so i got my *** handed to me in game one against the cpu. i decided to take game two a little differently and turned off the shot clock and five second back to basket so i could get a better feel for the controls. played as the cavs again this time against the knicks. turning off the shot clock definitely affected the way the players move because i noticed a lot less off-ball movement. which makes sense since theres no sense of urgency without a shot clock. i really just wanted to learn the post moves a little more. my first possession i posted up with bynum and backed down into the paint and scored with a hook shot. second possession i decided to try that same tactic. after two strong pushes with bynum the defender pulled the chair and i lost the ball. it was awesome lol.

the cpu offense also moved much differently with no shot clock but they still ran sets. for the most part they also stayed within the 24 seconds before they got a shot off. they got melo a few touches early and i made the mistake of trying to defend him myself. its a lot different when the cpu is controlling him vs another user with the same level of experience as me. he easily blew by me my first two attempts. the third time they went to him he did a quick dribble toward the basket so i tried to cut him off. he pulled up and took an open jumper since i overran him. once he scored three times in a row they just kept going to him every play until i called a timeout and got a stop. but it was awesome to see the cpu feeding the hot player.

i actually ended up winning the game against the knicks by like two points (after a lot of free throws from kyrie due to intentional fouling) but only because i had no shot clock so i made sure to get good shots. i also never really had a problem shooting free throws like some people have stated. same with jumpshots. maybe im weird but i adjusted pretty quick to shooting at the top of the shot. its a little jarring coming from 2k where a lot of players releases are late (almost as they start coming down) so that may be where some people are getting stuck.

after that game i decided to go with one of the big moments challenges. being a cavs fan (can you tell?) i went with the irving vs lillar (i think thats what its called in the game where lillard was a jerk and hit like eight three pointers including a game winner) and controlled kyrie. i was very disoriented by the camera (player lock) that they used and completely botched the first possession. i changed back to the espn camera from there. i honestly expected the cpu to just come down and keep shooting with lillard since the goal for me was to outscore lillard with kyrie. but even on the first possession he passed it off to aldridge in the post who hit a turnaround jumper. on the second possession i was playing tight on lillard. got caught behind a screen and he drove in for a layup. so then i tried an experiment. i remember reading somewhere on here (cant remember who posted it) that the cpu wont take advantage if you leave someone wide open unrealistically. so on their next possession i took kyrie and stood by half court. well lillard immediately pulled up and drained a three. ok so that didnt work as planned. next possession i tried another one of my tactics in 2k and tried to full court press him during the inbound pass to make them inbound to the sg. that did not work. it seems like there is a large delay when trying to steal the inbound and the cpu will not really care if youre covering the pg. anyway that put me out of position so i tried to sprint back and catch lillard. i went too far and stopped by the free throw line. he pulled up and dropped another three. except for the inbound nonsense it was just awesome to see him playing like he did that night. he didnt hesitate to take the open three because he was feeling it.

all in all im happy i bought the game. there are some definite issues trying to steal or cover the pg on an inbound and there arent enough fouls (although i havent touched the foul sliders yet). but honestly after the updates and synergy kicks in this game is amazing from a realism standpoint. its not as pretty graphically and some of the movements are off but it really does play like what you see on tv. one thing that i absolutely love is that it doesnt feel like the cpu defenders are psychic. they react to what im doing rather than knowing my button inputs. if they can add in a practice and tutorial mode it would do wonders i think.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #1030
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Why are you upping all those old discussions man? Lol
sorry lol havent been on here in about a week.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #1031
Rookie

OVR: 1

do they have create a player and is Rising Star Mode good? im really considering buying this especially to play Rising star mode
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #1032
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

Its driving me crazy that I cant find crowd atmosphere...as a (mostly) quick gamer, that was a big feature for me...

Its just gone, lol

anyone else?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »