Home

NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #201
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
No, I'm talking about the left stick, just moving your player. If you're feathering the stick, without using turbo or the L2 button, your guy manually does defensive slides. I only use turbo and the L2 stick when I'm getting beat off of the dribble. Normally I tap the L2 button when I get close enough to "body" someone and it bumps them just enough.
Ok I'll try that and report back.

So I like the demo, I don't love it, but its solid. How much more do you think I'll like the retail version? Is it as improved as some people say.

I mean I've read the impressions forum, but I'm just trying to gage how much better it really is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #202
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

I think it's infinitely better, but for you, it depends on what you aren't in "love" with on the demo.

In the full version, in my mind, it's night and day. Just turning on the Auto Motion offense makes the game so much more fluid. Guys moving, cutting, setting back screens without the ball for both you and the CPU AI.

The synergy updates also make a world of difference.

But honestly, it just depends on what you're looking for.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #203
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9

I saw best buy had this game for $40 and am thinking of trading in 2k for 360 to make it cheaper, but I want to know first... In retail if hit square to steal will they actually try to do it? I try in the demo ovr and over and my guy just stands there many times
Old 12-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #204
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

I'd say 4/5 times your guy will go for the steal. What you're talking about happens more often when you're playing the passing lanes than actual swiping style steals.

I'd say a good 4/5 times though.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #205
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
I saw best buy had this game for $40 and am thinking of trading in 2k for 360 to make it cheaper, but I want to know first... In retail if hit square to steal will they actually try to do it? I try in the demo ovr and over and my guy just stands there many times

It's just as delayed as in the demo, haven't seen any improvement in that particular area...it's like I have to account for the delay when jumping a passing lane as well which makes it an even bigger gamble than it should be....

Gamestop is giving an extra 50% on trade ins toward used games BTW, just for the weekend. So if you are going to trade it in I would do it today...you should be able to find Live used...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #206
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Ok I'll try that and report back.

So I like the demo, I don't love it, but its solid. How much more do you think I'll like the retail version? Is it as improved as some people say.

I mean I've read the impressions forum, but I'm just trying to gage how much better it really is.
Retail with the patch is WAY better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #207
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Just played the demo again and it seems as if its connected to the same server as the retail with player updates because it didn't feel much different. At the end of the game playing the cavs Kyrie went full cheese and abused the paint over and again because the Cavs couldn't score otherwise.

Not only that, he kept doing the same cheesy layup animation I also saw Steve Nash doing as well. This game has a long was to go for sure.. At this point playing the demo you can come to a logical conclusion of how the retail feels without thinking its some magic game over it. Its not that much different.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #208
Rookie

OVR: 2

A few other observations from this game:

Most will agree without hesitation that the 2K is a much more asthetically pleasing game. But for some reason I keep coming back to this one. For one, the spacing as well as the player models are much better than the other game. When I pick-up the other game now, the players look chunky and the court looks crowded. Trust me, there are many issues with this game, but for the most part it looks and feels like basketball. I could write a list as long as my arm of things that need fixing.

I've gotten much better at defending both on the perimeter and in the paint and I'm able to make an impact if I stay focused. I feel like I can counter what my opponent is trying to do. I adjust, I change strategy and I play tough defense. My PIP allowed has fallen from 75% of points scored to near 40%.

At times offense comes too easy, which is accurate of what happens IRL where you get lulled into taking rushed or bad shots and suddenly you can't make anything. You have to pay attention because a run - either offensively or defensively - is only a bad shot or a missed defensive assignment away.

One ot the things that frustrated me about the other game was canned or scripted runs that you had no control over (other than the standard, "call a timeout" strategy). With this game I feel I can manage things better.

The other night I jumped out to a early 15 point lead in the first quarter, built to 20 and won by about that much - shoulda won by more but I got a little complacent and lost focus. But the game was a blowout from the start.

When I first got the game a 15 point first quarter lead would be reduced to two by halftime. Initially I blamed it on a scripted comeback - and that could possibly be so, but now I believe that it was more of me not managing the game, jacking up poor shots, playing porous defense - in essence allowing the computer to adjust to what I was doing rather than me adjusting to the flow of the game.

Didn't mean for this to be so long, but I've been trying to figure in my own head why I like this game. I still believe the other game is better, but (and I've heard a bunch of people say this) I have fun playing this one... not because I win or because I can bum rush the rim and dunk, but because it feels like a basketball game. It doesn't happen instantly... you have to learn the controls and understand what options you have at your disposal.

Personally I'm glad we have both, but for now I'm enjoying LIVE.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »