Home

NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #153
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

The game has no real sense of speed. If im John Wall and I deflect the ball in such a way that me and Deron Williams from a dead stop have to sprint to the ball, I should win 10/10 times. Instead they're the same speed.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #154
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude916
2K has never played realistically, and it never will. Players are uncontrollable because they are to loose, once you get going one way, it's impossible to go the other. Players sliding around the court, getting sucked into animations, making every 3 you put up, ghost fouls, I could go on and on.
You sir IMO have never watched nor played a basketball game in your life with a post like this
Old 11-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #155
Rookie

OVR: 4

I have a confession to make...I'm really having fun with this demo.

I used the word "confession" because it feels wrong to like this game. I own 2K and have played it for hours and hours and I love it. I think we all know that it's far and away a better game than Live. That being said, there's just something about Live that keeps me coming back to the demo.

I would say that the biggest reason is probably nostalgia. I'm 33 years old, so EA basketball has been a big part of my gaming life ever since Bulls vs. Lakers. No matter how far the Live series has fallen, I think I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this game.

Other than that, though, I am somewhat enjoying the gameplay. I mean, there's a lot to dislike too. The graphics are subpar, and the animations are terrible at best. Obviously, that's kind of important and hard to overlook. But, I am just enjoying the game for what is is at this point. Some random thoughts:

- I really like the hop step. I have been reading a lot of impressions on how it is easily exploited, but I don't use it that way. As herky-jerky as the game can feel a lot of the time, I love how smooth it feels to hop step in the lane and then pull up for a jumper.

- I like that the CPU actually misses shots. One of the things in 2K that bothers me is that the CPU makes way too many shots, even with slider adjustments. The problem in Live, however, is that there are too many missed shots.

- If Synergy is working, I haven't really seen it yet. The only team on the demo that seems to not iso all game is the Warriors. I hope this will get fixed.

- I enjoy that the game is slower paced. However, it just plays too slow most of the time. While this is great when you are in the half court, it ruins the fun of running the break because the players are so sluggish.

- I'm enjoying the atmosphere of the crowd, but I can't believe how bad the commentary is. I mean Breen and JVG sounds good, but they aren't fluid. There is too much dead air.

So honestly, there is more bad in this game than there is good. But, with 2K and COD as my only games until The Show comes out, I think I'll enjoy Live enough to pick it up and put it in my rotation. Don't worry guys, I have enough credit at GameStop that it won't cost me a dime...LOL. Hopefully if these patches work out some of the quirks, and I can get the more advanced controls down, I will be able to have a nice alternative to 2K.

Last edited by JoeDog10; 11-24-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #156
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDog10
I have a confession to make...I'm really having fun with this demo.

I used the word "confession" because it feels wrong to like this game. I own 2K and have played it for hours and hours and I love it. I think we all know that it's far and away a better game than Live. That being said, there's just something about Live that keeps me coming back to the demo.

I would say that the biggest reason is probably nostalgia. I'm 33 years old, so EA basketball has been a big part of my gaming life ever since Bulls vs. Lakers. No matter how far the Live series has fallen, I think I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this game.

Other than that, though, I am somewhat enjoying the gameplay. I mean, there's a lot to dislike too. The graphics are subpar, and the animations are terrible at best. Obviously, that's kind of important and hard to overlook. But, I am just enjoying the game for what is is at this point. Some random thoughts:

- I really like the hop step. I have been reading a lot of impressions on how it is easily exploited, but I don't use it that way. As herky-jerky as the game can feel a lot of the time, I love how smooth it feels to hop step in the lane and then pull up for a jumper.

- I like that the CPU actually misses shots. One of the things in 2K that bothers me is that the CPU makes way too many shots, even with slider adjustments. The problem in Live, however, is that there are too many missed shots.

- If Synergy is working, I haven't really seen it yet. The only team on the demo that seems to not iso all game is the Warriors. I hope this will get fixed.

- I enjoy that the game is slower paced. However, it just plays too slow most of the time. While this is great when you are in the half court, it ruins the fun of running the break because the players are so sluggish.

- I'm enjoying the atmosphere of the crowd, but I can't believe how bad the commentary is. I mean Breen and JVG sounds good, but they aren't fluid. There is too much dead air.

So honestly, there is more bad in this game than there is good. But, with 2K and COD as my only games until The Show comes out, I think I'll enjoy Live enough to pick it up and put it in my rotation. Don't worry guys, I have enough credit at GameStop that it won't cost me a dime...LOL. Hopefully if these patches work out some of the quirks, and I can get the more advanced controls down, I will be able to have a nice alternative to 2K.
get the game and you will enjoy it more! love how bouncetek differentiates between players. they weren't talking nonsense when they said guys will play like they do in real life.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #157
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalhologram
anyway to move your off the ball players eg: take control of the get them to cut etc ,as a feature we used to have in live 10.
learn the controls. I know it is frustrating
Old 11-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #158
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_sr
get the game and you will enjoy it more!
Yeah, because a game you kinda like is MUCH better when you spend $63 on it!

:^/

Hope you get your commissions.. No wait. You're salaried, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 11-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #159
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Yeah, because a game you kinda like is MUCH better when you spend $63 on it!

:^/

Hope you get your commissions.. No wait. You're salaried, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
well, there's a lot more to do in the game lol
Old 11-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #160
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
anyway to move your off the ball players eg: take control of the get them to cut etc ,as a feature we used to have in live 10.
Double-tap down on the d-pad. Then press the face button for the player whom you want to make a cut.

This paper manual really should have shipped with the game:

http://d2ro3qwxdn69cl.cloudfront.net...LeUS_FINAL.pdf

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »