Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #705
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

Well, I think my goal of playing all 162 games in MLB 12 The Show is not going to happen. After playing MLB 13 last night, I don't think I can go back ... at least not right now.

As I stated in a thread I started, I'm going with all Analog controls (All-Star difficulty) this year. Last night I played what was just an absolute gem of a game.

Baltimore (CPU) @ Pittsburgh.

Final score: Orioles 4, Pirates 3

Just a thrilling game from start to finish even though I did lose. The game was smooth (no stutter, thanks patch!) the animations looked great and the user experience during batting, pitching and fielding was all-around fantastic.

Analog hitting is just so rewarding when you time things up perfectly. I didn't hit any homers but had three doubles and finished with 8 hits. The new timing window really helps me with this interface; on Timing I was early on everything the CPU threw at me. With Analog, thanks to the stride timing, I find that's not the case. I drew 3 walks (using a slightly modified version of the Catcher Offset camera) and struck out 8 times.

The hit variety is off the charts compared with previous years. I hit an opposite field flare with Russell Martin that I know had I made contact with that same pitch (jammed inside and my swing was a fraction late) in MLB 12-11-10, etc., it would've been a pop up to the catcher. The low-line drives are great and more groundballs find their way through the holes now, too.

As I've mentioned before, Analog pitching has a bit more looseness to it so if you aren't 100% accurate with your R-stick placement, expect your pitch to miss the mark by a decent margin. I was around 68% strikes for the game which is a shade high but better than the 75-80% range I was frequently around in MLB 11.

The Analog throwing is very responsive, too. I play with the meter turned off and no feedback but you know right away if your throw is going to offline. I rushed an attempted cutoff throw last night and the ball sailed right over the second baseman's head.

I'm playing on pretty much default All-Star across the board. The only changes I've made are to the CPU pitching sliders:
Control -1
Consistency -2
Strike Frequency -4

Last year it took me a while to lock in on my settings. That, and an unfortunate re-start (corrupted file) cost me some time in Franchise Mode and is why I'm at 132 games played in MLB 12. I will go back and finish at some point but right now, it's all about MLB 13.

I'll keep playing random Exhibition games until OSFM is released (man I really wish we could use those rosters in MLB Live) and then it's time to start a Franchise. I'll likely be using the Colorado Rockies this year. I won't play every game this year, but I'll play most of 'em.

MLB Live will also occupy a lot of my time.

I hope everyone is enjoying MLB 13 The Show as much as I am. I never think SCEA can top its previous effort but they always find a way. Congrats on putting out such a stellar game!
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #706
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvann4x
Pitching with Analog is fun and challenging, but I still rarely walk guys. I can increase the difficulty, but then I'll have more walks AND give up hits and homers left and right. Then it's off to Slider-Land.

A dev-tuned, out-of-the-box Sim Mode for all difficulty levels could fix Walk and Strike Frequency without forcing the user to run 75-game tests and devote so much time to Sliders. I've posted a suggestion in the Bug Report section at the Show's website under my username, lvann4x, if anyone cares to see this idea in more detail and vote on it. This would give the idea some support for the dev's to see
While I think the game is tuned remarkably to represent a true-to-life MLB product, I'd personally love to read your ideas! You do not need to open a bug report to share your thoughts. OS is an ideal place to put your suggestions out.

Quote:
What I'd like to see next year:

A Fielding Mini-Mode. Not just from RTTS first person view, but a Franchise Mode view as well. I always have auto fielding on in Franchise and Postseason Mode because I don't want to learn fielding on the fly. I manually throw to bases, but manually controlling my fielder just results in too many cartoonish Little League plays.

I'd love to have a Fielding Practice Mode from the Camera View of MY choice so I could get a bunch of reps without having to go through 20-30 important Franchise games handicapped by my fielding inadequacy. I don't use Analog Throwing for the same reason. I used to love controlling my fielders in past-gen games, but the learning curve is too steep now that I don't have hours of time to play anymore.
I wanted to see this for a while now. Look at it this way; I could take fielding off of Auto and all the world to see my sucky-ness!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #707
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Anyone notice the bats no longer have the "MLB The Show" logo on the barrel? Wonder why they removed it? I always kind of liked having something on the barrel like a real bat would.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #708
MVP

OVR: 4

Well, playing while fast forward pitching is impossible and zero fun. Here are my stats playing in that manor:

Team ERA: 6.66 (last)
Errors/Game: 1.25 (last)
Runs Allowed/Game: 7.625 (last)

And on top of that the ability to pinpoint pitch guessing on the Vita, a very worthwhile feature, has been removed.

The game looks great once the ball is in play, but other than that its current state is extremely disappointing.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #709
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
Well, playing while fast forward pitching is impossible and zero fun. Here are my stats playing in that manor:

And on top of that the ability to pinpoint pitch guessing on the Vita, a very worthwhile feature, has been removed.

The game looks great once the ball is in play, but other than that its current state is extremely disappointing.
I keep seeing you banging on about this in a number of threads.
I am not seeing this at all using FF to pitch.
Through 10 games in my 'test season' i have given up 59 runs which was padded by 2 games where we gave up a 10 and a 9 spot respectively.
Maybe try using a team with a better pitching staff and see what happens
Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #710
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
Man those ball physics 2.0 are so frikkin awesome! I've been surprised with it every game so far. I've seen all sorts of hits that you would never hit in previous installments. Makes the game so much more alive. I'm having a blast!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #711
MVP

DGuinta1's Arena

OVR: 29

This year best for me against the computer. Great games, tight games and actually able to come back against the computer this year and pull out some late innings heroics. Love me some The Show!

Online play is so arcadey to me cause everyone just skips thru everything, hurry hurry! Enjoy this great game and not rush rush... Geez.

Last edited by DGuinta1; 03-28-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #712
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete

This game just may not be for you. Although I thought we established that last year. Or was I thinking of someone else?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »