Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #409
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

Well it's not like a team would trade Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, Adrien Gonzalez, and Nick Punto in one trade for a sub-par first baseman that they wouldn't even sign the following year...

Oh wait. Nevermind.
~syf
Old 03-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #410
Rookie

OVR: 5

I just picked up my copy and played an exhibition game. I love it!, Very smooth and it looks like they tighten-up the graphics and animations.

I'm not having any issues with stuttering at all so I'm puzzled why some are having it though. Granted, I just played one exhibition game so I don't know if the stuttering will happen when I do RTTS and Franchise.

Just for info, I have a cheap low-end 43 inch 720P Samsung Plasma and my PS3 is an old original fat 60gig version with an updated Hard drive (Toshiba 640gig) that I just installed.

So far, I love this years version!

peace

Last edited by Formula1Racing; 03-09-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #411
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefakeJTS
For the guy complaining about Strasburg playing for Toronto in 2014: Last year did you complain about Miami trading away Jose Reyes or Mark Buehrle?
The Marlins were coming off back to back 70 win, 5th place in the NL East finishes.

The Nationals are rising and close to making a big run. There is no way they are going to go into rebuilding mode next year. Maybe a 5% chance.

The same as the Angels are not going to trade Puljols this year after signing a huge contract, as I saw in someone elses post about their franchise sim

Trading Strasburg to Toronto looks bad and out of place. There is no reason to defend the trade/FA AI logic, it needs big time work. They hyped up big time how certain teams will be rebuilding for the future and some will be gearing up for a big run, but it doesn't seem to really be a big difference from any other past baseball game in terms of AI logic in franchise. It is all hogwash every sports developer says the same stuff but then you do 1 franchise sim and you see ridiculous things straight away. No sports game has franchise logic advanced enough to rely on the AI managing their teams, maybe in the next gen. It would be amazing if we could combine The Shows gameplay ingame with OOTPs management, A boy can dream!

It takes a lot of realism out of things to see that, trades just done for the hell of it by the AI with no logical reasoning behind it. thankful we have 30 team control

Last edited by BrianU; 03-09-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #412
Just started!

OVR: 0
Can somebody tell me how to sign free agents in the offseason?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #413
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by juegochamp
So I have followed this forum for years (on occasion), but finally have decided to take the time to sign up. Been playing since the Ortiz game in 06.

Heres my rant about this years game:

1. The glitch/stutter while your not in a game. It literally glitches like every 5 seconds and freezes the music and the screen. Is this my disk or the game? Its honestly ruining it.

2. Why in Franchise mode do players get poorly so quickly? Mariano goes from a 97 to a 78 in like 1 month of the 2013 season? WTF. This is honestly ridiculous. RA Dickey becomes a 75 after being a 95?!?! This is severely drastic, did I not do a new feature like train them or something?

I did 3 drafts so far, my team was 1st, 4th, and 3rd. After a month every single one was either 27, 29, 30th overall. I didnt just draft old people, it was a sold mix of youth and veterans.

3. The pictures coming and going on the player cards.

4. Side ways cards to read attributes? Not happy with that.

This is the worst Show I have ever played (in the little time I have played it), maybe I am doing something wrong that is new? But this is a HUGE, and I mean HUGEEEE letdown to the Show franchise. Im about to pop 2012 back in, that was a game.
None of those are baseball issues though, so what do you think of the on-the-field gameplay?

Now Playing FIFA, UFC 4, PGA Tour 2k23, WWE, MLB The Show and Dirt Rally 2.0
Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #414
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
None of those are baseball issues though, so what do you think of the on-the-field gameplay?
I've only been playing "MLB The Show" since the 2012 release. I am more of a football/hockey fan than baseball, and even when I played a baseball game it was from the XBox 2K series. But last year I viewed some YouTube game play videos of MLB 12, was impressed with what I saw, bought a PS3 + MLB 12, played one season and now that MLB 13 is out, I picked it up and it is just as good as MLB 12 with some very subtle improvements.

But it is hard to satisfy everyone because we all play the game a different way. Could MLB 13 be better? I am sure it could be. But over all at least how I play the game, I am happy with it. It is better than the 2K game and is one of, if not the best sports games. Now if only the football/hockey games were as good as MLB The Show.

Last edited by My993C2; 03-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #415
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Crazy things happen!...and they often make someone mad!
Just ask Steve Bartman from Chicago how mad people can get.

Oh and he wasn't the only fan who went for the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #416
Rookie

OVR: 3

After having played the game for the better part of a week now, I feel ready to elaborate on my early impressions. Longtime player from the early PS2 days, and I pretty much only play franchise, so YMMV, yada yada yada... anywho, onwards:

The (overwhelming) positives. I'll keep this section shorter, as most of this stuff has been covered in depth:

- Pitch repertoires are vastly improved. This has bugged me for years! Finally, lots of pitchers have non-4-seam FB primary pitches, and cutters and sinkers abound!

- Much improved ball physics. Bloops exist! Huzzah!

- I'm getting very, very different results every time I play, which I consider a huge positive.

- Being able to turn off the on-screen displays. Oh how big a difference such a simple option can make.

- Everything looks very polished. The franchise menus are easy to navigate, snappy, and informative. The sorting options in the roster management screens are so much more convenient. Not having to scroll to see what level a guy plays at is hugely time-saving.

- I've never touched scouting before, but it looks much more intuitive this time around, so I'll give it a go.

- Obviously, the game is gorgeous.

The negatives. I'll expand more on the negatives than the positives not because they outweigh positives (they absolutely do not), but in the hopes that this stuff gets rectified via patch or in future releases:

- The crowd is a little... funky. They're rather raucous in the first inning, which feels weird for a mid-May game between non-rivals, but they settle down after that. Maybe the bigger problem is that the crowd doesn't seem to respond to the right situations. I got out of a bases loaded jam in the 8th inning of a game by punching out two straight guys, and the crowd didn't make a peep. However, get a man on base any time in the late innings, and they start going nuts. It seems really over the top, like the game is trying to emphasize that the crowd exists. Problem is, baseball is a pretty placid game. 95% of the game is a soft buzz, muted cheers, and polite claps. In the Show, it's either silence or the park going nuts.

- The hat sweat. Ugh. I know this is really minor and superficial, but the details matter with this game, right? Anyways, the hat sweat is wrong on multiple levels. First, that every single player has a ring of sweat on their hats, including the managers, is a little bizarre. That it happens on 40-degree days is even worse. Most importantly, the new style of hats don't show sweat anymore, so hat sweat doesn't exist anymore. But in the game, it's on every player, all the time.

- The weather. I haven't delved too deeply into my franchise, but I'm still playing sleeved-games every night, short sleeves every day. It's been in the low 40's every night game in Boston in April. A little variety would be nice. And maybe a little toughness out of the players: pitchers should be able to pitch in short sleeves when it's 58 degrees. The whole "sleeves for below 60 for pitchers, below 50 for players" is a little bothersome.

- I'm not seeing the reliever-usage logic improvements. My last game, the Royals brought in Tim Collins in the 8th inning, up by two, to face a L, L, R. He got through those three, so that's good. He then comes back the next inning, faces a L, gets him too. But then he faces a R, R, R... and stays in the game. Predictably, I record a walk, single, three-run home run. The Royals had both Aaron Crow and Luke Hochevar up in the pen and warm.

- Contrary to my first post in this thread, I had to turn down solid hits several clicks again. I've done this every year, as I feel the game is a little too rocket-line-drivey for my tastes.

- CPU outfielders still play walls like psychics. This is probably exacerbated by playing at Fenway, to be fair.

Okay, I've run out of steam and am now tired. Great game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »