Home

Five Reasons to Hold off on Buying NCAA Football 13

This is a discussion on Five Reasons to Hold off on Buying NCAA Football 13 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #65
Banned

OVR: 8
The only thing fun about Madden or the college football series is seeing your favorite team on the field for the first time. It goes downhill ... fast ... after that. (by the way, 'next gen' consoles aren't going to fix the issues we are seeing here, that's just wishful thinking)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #66
Rookie

MacDiiddy's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Five Reasons to Hold off on Buying NCAA Football 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Run/Pass Commit

Defenses can also participate in a guessing game called run/pass commit, where correctly choosing one of four offensive scenarios (pass, run right, run left, run middle) results in the play getting blown up like a scene out of Tecmo Super Bowl. Essentially, Run/Pass Commit functions just like Jump The Snap, only without the risk of ever taking a penalty.

With a 1:4 chance of guessing the right offensive setup and snuffing out the play, the odds in this gameplay mechanic are stacked largely in the defense's favor. At least in Tecmo Super Bowl the defense had only 1:8 odds of picking the right preplay setup.

As some downs will force the offense into obvious passing situations, the "pass commit" option becomes foolproof at times since there's no directional guessing involved like there is in run plays.

It's a mystery why this feature even exists. If the user wants to defend against a running play, why not just send blitzers into the gaps where the run is expected?

Or if the user believes a pass is coming, what's wrong with simply choosing a traditional coverage scheme or an overload blitz to the quarterback's weak side?

Why is it necessary to artificially enhance the defense's ability with a silly guessing mini game that can stifle any offensive play?

------------

This one puzzles me. I feel like this is feature is pretty fair. You're telling your players to sell out to stop a specific play. 3rd and 29? Hey, they are probably going to pass, tell your defense to drop back because you know a pass is coming.

And if you guess wrong you get destroyed. Especially if you guess run and it's a pass.
Pass commit makes sense to me. I have been coaching high school ball for 7 years now, and we have calls to tell our defense to play pass first (which deepens our skinny skills and tells our d-line to get after the QB).

The run commit is what I have a problem with. No one is going to say call a time out and say, okay they are going to run to the right. so everyone on the defense just sprint to that side on the snap of the ball.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #67
Rookie

AGG_JD's Arena

OVR: 16
In response to those that quoted me, I do see some things that would make the presentation better as well as some added features could make the game better. There are a number of brilliant ideas in the forums, as well, in these comments. But to speak about this game not being worth purchase is ludicrous to me.

It's a decent game. A better game for those who are not into football as much. It just appears that some people are presenting a large amount of hate for NCAA once again as if Madden was any better the past 5 years. I value reading people's opinions. It's just when they cross that line from stating opinions, to just down right being negative and hating.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #68
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDiiddy
Pass commit makes sense to me. I have been coaching high school ball for 7 years now, and we have calls to tell our defense to play pass first (which deepens our skinny skills and tells our d-line to get after the QB).
But can't I already do that with nickel or dime personnel, and then making a pre-snap adjustment to drop the DB's back into loose coverage?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #69
MVP

OVR: 3

Five?

I counted about 30 in that article.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #70
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG_JD
In response to those that quoted me, I do see some things that would make the presentation better as well as some added features could make the game better. There are a number of brilliant ideas in the forums, as well, in these comments. But to speak about this game not being worth purchase is ludicrous to me.

It's a decent game. A better game for those who are not into football as much. It just appears that some people are presenting a large amount of hate for NCAA once again as if Madden was any better the past 5 years. I value reading people's opinions. It's just when they cross that line from stating opinions, to just down right being negative and hating.
You kind of glossed over the concern I brought to your attention.

How could I recommend someone purchase this game when it has frozen more times than it has finished games and it has ruined my Playstation?

I love 13 when it works, I loved playing NCAA 12 despite glaring problems. But we're past gameplay problems and server quirks now, this series is now to the point where it is unstable across all game modes. I will play this game until it absolutely prevents me from doing so, but after another freeze and corresponding failure to load the disc tonight, I am up to 14 freezes.

There is a 31 page thread of people with the exact same problems, many of the people in it have already gotten rid of the game. If you posed the question, "Would you recommend this game to someone who has held off buying it" in that thread, I guarantee you would receive 0 yes responses.

If these problems are fixed, then absolutely this game is fantastic and well worth it. But I'm going to need a new PS3 because of this game ruining my current one before these patches are even released.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #71
Rookie

DarthLeon's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGKing
NCAA 13 is the best NCAA game i've ever played. It's heaps better than 12, 11, etc..

I guess it's because of the new passing, and it feels more smoother.
Oh yeah, 13 is definitely better by leaps and bounds. Certainly the best it has ever been.

In other news, I'm in the best mental state I've ever been. I used to be committing genocide on a daily basis; Now I only kill a guy once a week or so. Now that's progress!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #72
Banned

OVR: 32
Well written article... Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »