Home

Five Reasons to Hold off on Buying NCAA Football 13

This is a discussion on Five Reasons to Hold off on Buying NCAA Football 13 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #89
Rookie

Gatorfan Frank's Arena

OVR: 0
Oops, I meant NCAA 13, but same thing pretty much.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #90
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Five Reasons to Hold off on Buying NCAA Football 13

You know, the last NCAA game I played was NCAA 10 I believe before this year.
Whats funny is there are still the same issues back then there are today.

I finally realized the major problem, we pay, if we choose to, $60 every year for a "patch" with roster updates. Give us minor tweaks in gameplay, tweaking other modes here and there.

The game is fun, for I haven't played a college football game in awhile, but there are still so many issues. Issues I wonder if they will ever be corrected.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #91
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

You guys really should have posted this a little while back..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #92
Pro

Bull_Market's Arena

OVR: 8

Good read. I really don't understand the whole ”i love college football, so ill subject myself to questionable products” theory. Never have, never will. Im the opposite, i love football enough NOT to accept such a gross misrepresentation of the sport.

Im glad I had the strength and courage this year to hold off on purchasing this game. Articles like this really cement the fact that I made the right choice.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #93
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Run/Pass Commit

Defenses can also participate in a guessing game called run/pass commit, where correctly choosing one of four offensive scenarios (pass, run right, run left, run middle) results in the play getting blown up like a scene out of Tecmo Super Bowl. Essentially, Run/Pass Commit functions just like Jump The Snap, only without the risk of ever taking a penalty.

With a 1:4 chance of guessing the right offensive setup and snuffing out the play, the odds in this gameplay mechanic are stacked largely in the defense's favor. At least in Tecmo Super Bowl the defense had only 1:8 odds of picking the right preplay setup.

As some downs will force the offense into obvious passing situations, the "pass commit" option becomes foolproof at times since there's no directional guessing involved like there is in run plays.

It's a mystery why this feature even exists. If the user wants to defend against a running play, why not just send blitzers into the gaps where the run is expected?

Or if the user believes a pass is coming, what's wrong with simply choosing a traditional coverage scheme or an overload blitz to the quarterback's weak side?

Why is it necessary to artificially enhance the defense's ability with a silly guessing mini game that can stifle any offensive play?

------------

This one puzzles me. I feel like this is feature is pretty fair. You're telling your players to sell out to stop a specific play. 3rd and 29? Hey, they are probably going to pass, tell your defense to drop back because you know a pass is coming.

And if you guess wrong you get destroyed. Especially if you guess run and it's a pass.
No he is saying with that feature. It takes away the actually reason of picking a play and enhances a play you may have chose.
Like if it is 3&29 everyone knows it is a pass. So you choose a defensive play accordingly, but if you pick pass commit as well. It makes your pass coverage even greater because you committed to the pas. It is a double negative so to speak because you already pass committed with the defensive play you picked.
The same for a run if i blitz and overload the right side. If you commit to a run to the right it powers up the amount of pressure you get already even when you already chose to defend that side with the play chosen.
If you guess right then the results should be in your favor because of your good play calling not because you committed to a pass, but because you chose the right counter on defense to stop their offense.
Ea destroys the whole offense versus defense chess match with such features, bad physics, bad A.I. programming, and lack of a reward or risk factor.
Take Madden 12 on 360 or PS3 no real pass interference calls or excessive strips at the ball with no way to defend against after a catch don't result in anything against the defense. On PS2 you would get called for face mask if you tried to abuse it.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #94
Banned

therealslimshady's Arena

OVR: 4
It's been said a million times before, but wow am I sick of the computer knowing every damn play I run. There is no way of getting them to guess wrong. Run 3 pass plays and a draw? Forget about it they are bringing the house. Run a hb screen? Blitzing cb from the opposite side and get sacked, not to mention my qb gets sacked before I am even allowed to make a throw! It's just stupid an I wish I could get my money back.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #95
Rookie

OVR: 2
It seems as though there's some posters who don't believe that a company like EA could actually have a hand in creating/modifying its own market...but welcome to next-gen EA football! When a company monopolizes its market and offers a yearly virtual recreation of the most popular sport in America, they can have the game play however they'd like and it will STILL sell. Because we're talking about NCAA Football. And we're talking about a growing number of consumers who will overlook any issue just to keep up with the Jones'.

I read more and more posts on OS from posters who have grown complacent with these games and are bold enough to spew their unconscious decisions to others as though we should all conform and stop being critical. 1984, anyone!?

I post because I care about the value of sports and the games I play that represent them. This was a well-thought out and well deserved article about NCAA 13 and the former games of this series. Props to the OP Keep being critical, it's the only way to make someone/thing better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #96
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13

I'll give EA credit where it's due. Recruiting is much improved, and we finally got the pass trajectories we had last gen. Threads like these need to exist. Without being critical of a product there won't be changes. There are certain things we all want in these games, I know we can't all be happy. I pray for the day we get an excellent college football game.

These past few years have been trying for me. I'm 30 years old, love CFB, but I'm almost to the point where I am questioning myself. I think to myself, "maybe this is your awakening, maybe it's time to just give up video games and stick to watching on TV and gambling on it". I hope this isn't the case. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »