Home

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Review (PS3)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Review (PS3) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Review (PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
You're right, and that's another gripe I have with this review.
While I can appreciate the effort and time that went into this review, I find myself disagreeing with numerous aspects of the review in which I see things completely differently, especially when it comes to the lack of "simulation like play" and options. I'll post more later when I actually have time to respond to the things I disagree with. And I am especially disappointed in the score and find it overly harsh compared to many other reviews from other gaming websites.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 7

I personally would score it 1 to 1.5 higher but I think this is in the bubble of scores to expect for this game. Having spent a good amount of time with this game and past TW games I would expect a lower score from sports focused sites like OS.

TW is judged in comparison to past TW games. There are no other real competitors to compare it to and there aren't really any other non-team sport games to compare it with. So when you look at scoring from a point of view of a purchase decision that is the only comparison to make.

OS being focused on sports tends to look at thing from a more sim pov. From that point of view the real addition is Augusta. That is big for some of us but not all. Gameplay wise most of us sim players took a pretty big hit. Yes you can get a tough sim game if you play with the move and like or at least tolerate meterless putting. Those are two big ifs(one impossible for 360 owners) for many of us. So when you look at that vs last year it has to be a big scoring hit for the sim player.

To me, caddie is a wash. He doesn't do anything for me and I would turn him completely off if that was an option, but I can deal with the part of him that I have to see knowing he adds to the game for others.

So gameplay took a hit for the way I prefer to play. Augusta and better use/pricing of DLC ends up making it a net push. A net push is aggravating when all they had to do was leave the option to play TW11 style true aim to create a large net gain. Just leave it alone and it borders on being a great edition instead of one that ends up just being good.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf
Gameplay wise most of us sim players took a pretty big hit. Yes you can get a tough sim game if you play with the move and like or at least tolerate meterless putting. Those are two big ifs(one impossible for 360 owners) for many of us. So when you look at that vs last year it has to be a big scoring hit for the sim player.
Can't say I agree at all especially the bolded part.....
Old 04-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Can't say I agree at all especially the bolded part.....
If I don't play without a putting meter I don't have anything close to true aim in 11. That is huge.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #29
MVP

The meter-less putting is brilliant and very challenging IMO. I hated it at first, but now I feel it is the best putting interface I have ever seen in any TW game. Sorry you don't agree....
Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
The career mode is the best that it's been in any TW game
Can you set up your own custom season/career?
Can you select any course to play in any tournament?
Can you use multiple courses in one tournament?
Can you add select user-created courses to play in your tournaments?
Can you set the purse, the number of rounds and the cut?
Can you preset the weather, the course conditions, and the pin placement difficulty in each round of every tournament?
Can you create CPU PGA golfers and edit their abilities, and add them to your tournaments?
Can you preselect the size of the field and the specific golfers you want competing in each tournament?

All those features and options were available in past TW games. With all the user-created courses, CPU golfer mods and options that used to be available, we were once able to customize TW season/career mode in a way that makes the current setup look about as deep as Mario Bros. golf on the Gamecube.

This isn't the best career mode ever in a TW game, not even remotely close.

Last edited by peigone; 04-08-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
I find myself disagreeing with numerous aspects of the review... especially when it comes to the lack of "simulation like play" and options.
As a customizable sports game, TW on the console is to "game options," what the IRS is to your pocket money: gone, goodbye, and never had it in the first place.

Last edited by peigone; 04-08-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #32
Sports Game Junkie!!!

Jordanfan23's Arena

OVR: 12
Great review but I would give this game at least a 8.0 or above. The caddy is often wrong, and while there are times I take his shot advice, 80% of the time I manually set-up the shot and if I do use the caddy, it is more around the green or on it.

And with the addition of Tournament difficulty, the game can play very challenging.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »