Home

OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I'm really disappointed with Major League Baseball.
I watched a game today(granted...Spring Training)...and it looked like a game I watched last year...and even the year before that!!!!
I guess I'm a little underwhelmed.
I was fully expecting something different. I mean c'mon...it's been over 100 years and it's basically the same.
A roundhouse kick to the runner rounding the base by the 1st basemen......
A cartwheel from the pitcher after a K...SOMETHING different.

Yes...I did it.

Square table is more like it! You guys are FIRED!

M.K.
Knight165

Lmao! Hilarious!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #50
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
Some minor gameplay changes could make the game feel more new.

For example when you hit a foul ball, whats does this remind you of? Thats right, the show 10.

If they changed the animation for that and so forth, minor things but the game would feel more fresh this year.
So you're saying that a foul ball hit in this years version should feel more like what??.....a fair ball?!...a strikeout?...a walk?
C'mon...give us a hint!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #51
JJT
MVP

JJT's Arena

OVR: 4

Dont know why the sarcasm, but ill try and make my point again.

The game of baseball has been the same for 100 years like you said and the show has that down great.

Its the presentation of the game that needs change. So different foul ball animations or when you hit a homerun, some different home run animations.

The game of baseball is down its the presentation of that game I and many others would like to see freshen up year to year and warrant $60 a year.

When you go to maybe 3 games a year, your paying the same price to go to the same game of baseball, but is the experience the same each game? No.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #52
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
Dont know why the sarcasm, but ill try and make my point again.

The game of baseball has been the same for 100 years like you said and the show has that down great.

Its the presentation of the game that needs change. So different foul ball animations or when you hit a homerun, some different home run animations.

The game of baseball is down its the presentation of that game I and many others would like to see freshen up year to year and warrant $60 a year.

When you go to maybe 3 games a year, your paying the same price to go to the same game of baseball, but is the experience the same each game? No.
No need to make the point again....I understood it perfectly the first time.
It's not the same...not even remotely the same.
There is simply no way to re-do everything year in and year out. You're focus on something that may or may not have been added to simply does not mean it's the same game as last year. I'm sorry. No way...no how.
The list of changes is quite extensive.
If you choose to look past them that's not a problem of the game.
I see that ....that is becoming the norm though. Unfortunate.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #53
JJT
MVP

JJT's Arena

OVR: 4

There isnt a problem with the game, thats what I am saying. Its the presentation of said game. New player models, lighting and so forth is good for sure and should happen, but when I hit a foul ball and see the same thing ive seen 1700 times thats why people feel underwelmed as they so put it.

I am buying the game because of the changes to rtts, so I know the changes.

Just saying that if next year the game is presented the same way, people will be swayed to keep the game they already have, which some people will do this year.

The gameplay can stay the same, but present the game different to me.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #54
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
I feel very much like Christian does. I thought I would be more impressed.

The Show's biggest competition is themselves. How do you outdo the previous year and still keep it fresh? The Show has been considered by many the pinnacle of all sports gaming without many problems. NCAA Football has a lot of issues so when they improve the game I'm excited despite the fact there may still be significant things I don't like. The Show doesn't really do anything wrong and like Chase said, if nobody had ever played the Show before they would be blown away. So how do you improve a game significantly when everyone already seems happy?

I think our enjoyment of a game is often influenced heavily by our expectations and these expectations may be influencing these opinions more than anything.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 47

Great post Rudy as usual. I agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 0
I was let down with the demo. Mainly with the fact that I have been seeing the same fielding animations for several years now. Outfield throws look weak and awkward at times. Way too many "girly" throws. Infielding animations are very outdated as well. I hit a chopper to short and the cpu charged it but stopped, planted and took a couple of hops before throwing. Clearly safe, and clearly not the right animation.

Analog controls do nothing for this game. I am not sure why the need to waste development time on this.

Improved scoreboards: ? didn't notice ANYTHING different.

Player Models: Look better, but do nothing as far as improving animations.

So what really changed? And was the whole year of development time used wisely, or is this game on a tight budget?

Do we need new members attending the community day? I guarantee the guys that attend every year will not talk bad about the game, thus not helping improve it.

And why is one guy's opinion attacked if it is not the acceptable opinion around here? JJT has some valid points with keeping the game fresh and should not be ridiculed for that.

I will play the demo more, but for now I am very underwelmed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »