Home

OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
It's the Madden syndrom. It conditioned people to expect some new feature (usually pointless) each year that mainly tried to disguise the many faults of the game.
Its baseball. We have mutliple ways to play. Graphics/lighting improved, new fielding and hitting mechanics etc.....

Felt like '10?????
I think this is true. I mean when you say the game hasnt changed aside from a new control scheme, what is that supposed to mean? Yes, we have seen the controls before but there is only so much you can do that maps to the controllers functionality right.

I think alot of the indifefence comes from the learning curve involved in the analog controls along with a natural tendency for some to resist change. Chase was absolutely on the screws when he said that the mind blowing thing is that you can go between control schemes and you can achieve the same results. You have to work at it to do that but at least you know it can be done.

I think a more acurate description is that the gameplay seems unchanged outside of analog control. Outside of that there is going to be alot to like.

At least an attempt at threaded commentary (doesnt quite reach the 2k level but its an improvement)
User controlled errors
Balks (I keep trying to get one called and its not happening but apparently you can)
Co Op
Challenge of the week
Player Vault
Better day night transition.

I could go on. I think that is the issue with judging the demo because the gameplay may not have changed alot but the overall package is going to be miles ahead.

Also. I want to give a shoutout to SCEA for something. Most sports demos that are time restricted end when that time is up no matter the score. Last night I played "extra innings" into the 6th of a tie game before giving up a walk off. Its a small thing but since we are talking about the quality of the demo, I thought that deserved a mention. Good work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: OS Roundtable -- MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but some people expect too much change on sports games that are forced into a 1 year development cycle. Gotta wait for the next platform for that.

If it's not broke, don't fix it, perfect it.
Exactly, no need to fix it if it ain't broke. The show is the best video game of all time and nothing else is even in the same league. When I say all video games thats all I play is sports game(football, basketball and baseball). I have never in my life played anything else so thats all I got to go on,lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #43
Rookie

B-Man1985's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis72
Exactly, no need to fix it if it ain't broke. The show is the best video game of all time and nothing else is even in the same league. When I say all video games thats all I play is sports game(football, basketball and baseball). I have never in my life played anything else so thats all I got to go on,lol.
I second this
Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #44
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20
I agree with Chase. This game looks better than MLB 10, and the addition of analog pitching and hitting makes this game even better.

but I can also see and understand, for those who have played the game to death over the last few years, how they could be a little underwhelmed with what is being offered in the demo.

Last edited by Peter_OS; 02-25-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #45
Pro

etched Chaos's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

To those saying that a gradual change from year to year is better than massive chancges. You're right but on the other side if you improve very few things then it starts to become a $60 roster update and thats something I never hope to see. As it is from my POV the RTTS changes are enough to justify my buying it, thats and the analog controls. But if you removed those two additions and said to someone 'hey pay $60 for last year's game with better player models, weather and better lighting' do you really think they would?

Thats the problem with having an excellent product, eventually you have to add in new features or change enough to justify people paying $60 for the game. Fortunately for the Show, we still have the commentary system and Franchise thats left for a redesign and so its not likely to become a $60 roster update anytime soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #46
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by etched Chaos
To those saying that a gradual change from year to year is better than massive chancges. You're right but on the other side if you improve very few things then it starts to become a $60 roster update and thats something I never hope to see. As it is from my POV the RTTS changes are enough to justify my buying it, thats and the analog controls. But if you removed those two additions and said to someone 'hey pay $60 for last year's game with better player models, weather and better lighting' do you really think they would?

Thats the problem with having an excellent product, eventually you have to add in new features or change enough to justify people paying $60 for the game. Fortunately for the Show, we still have the commentary system and Franchise thats left for a redesign and so its not likely to become a $60 roster update anytime soon.
I do see your point here. Does the $60 price tag justify the changes made to the game this year?? Remember we get a baseball game every year.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #47
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

I'm really disappointed with Major League Baseball.
I watched a game today(granted...Spring Training)...and it looked like a game I watched last year...and even the year before that!!!!
I guess I'm a little underwhelmed.
I was fully expecting something different. I mean c'mon...it's been over 100 years and it's basically the same.
A roundhouse kick to the runner rounding the base by the 1st basemen......
A cartwheel from the pitcher after a K...SOMETHING different.

Yes...I did it.

Square table is more like it! You guys are FIRED!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #48
JJT
MVP

JJT's Arena

OVR: 4

Some minor gameplay changes could make the game feel more new.

For example when you hit a foul ball, whats does this remind you of? Thats right, the show 10.

If they changed the animation for that and so forth, minor things but the game would feel more fresh this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »