Home

OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
I haven't finished downloading but I'm glad Chase had a positive perspective. I was afraid I was in for a big disappointment.

But after reading what the rest of you guys are saying.....it sounds like the game IS INDEED good. But sometimes an already great game can create unrealistic expectations.

And I never cared for analog anyway so that won't affect my view of the overall game.

Last edited by statum71; 02-25-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #26
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: OS Roundtable -- MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Agreed.

Chase is spot on with his observations, the others...well, i just dont know what people expect, its baseball after all, theres only so much you can do to improve what is in essence the same thing year after year, its not like COD with new maps etc.
It's the Madden syndrom. It conditioned people to expect some new feature (usually pointless) each year that mainly tried to disguise the many faults of the game.
Its baseball. We have mutliple ways to play. Graphics/lighting improved, new fielding and hitting mechanics etc.....

Felt like '10?????

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 47
I kind laugh when people say it is like 10. Duh,it is the same devs making the game. What game ever feel completely different from one year to another? I mean every game I have ever played feels like that last years game. If I was to play the devil avocate here. The show has new controls, better player models, more animation and more life like stadiums and yet it feels like 10? Really?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

From where I sit, the aspect of 10 that was most troublesome was the franchise mode. The FA and trade logic were poor and the menus and interface needed work. The on field product was about as sound and customizable as you could ever expect from a video game in this generation. They've added new control mechanics and, I think, improved the lighting and animations.

However, it all means nothing if the franchise issues aren't fixed. For most of us, that's as important as the on field product-- and we've seen nothing of it yet. The demo serves as a teaser trailer, noting more. It doesn't even offer the full range of the on field experience. So, I don't know why any would conclude anything about the game's long term viability from the demo.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I kind laugh when people say it is like 10. Duh,it is the same devs making the game. What game ever feel completely different from one year to another? I mean every game I have ever played feels like that last years game. If I was to play the devil avocate here. The show has new controls, better player models, more animation and more life like stadiums and yet it feels like 10? Really?
Exactly... I mean, no **** it feels like 10. And oh no, it feels like one of the greatest baseball games ever made!?!? Come on SCEA, this game should be completely remade from the ground up so that it feels NOTHING like the previous version

Seriously though, will this be the thanks this team receives for having made such an authentic representation of the game? There is only so much more they can do to the gameplay each year. And what will happen next year, if they completely revamp the commentary? Will that again no longer be enough because the game already plays so well?

The "it feels just like 10" argument is just so incredibly ignorant IMO when it concerns this series. Other sports games? Yes, I could see the complaint, but here? To each their own I guess...
Old 02-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #30
Legend

Tommyklaid's Arena

OVR: 20

Don't fix it if it ain't broke - this game seems like '10, because '10 was the BEST game - they added features, polished it up, etc, etc...

I'm lovin' the demo - I can't even imgaine how fun the retail version is going to be!
  • The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM - XBOX SERIES X
Old 02-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #31
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau

Disclaimer: I have only played about 7 innings of demo.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, I think people may have been looking for improved ball physics such as choppers and hump back liners etc. I think that would "freshen" it up some.

Things subtle to the AI that would make it play a little more realistic, such as injuries to pitchers on come backers,....

Again some of these things may be in, but I did not see them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 47

To behonest with you all I want or expect from a game is to fix the bugs that last years game had. I don't need a completely difference game every year. If it feels like 10 too much stick with 10 then. But for with the improved player models and stadiums and the bugs most likely fixed from 10. I am going to enjoy 11. Again this is just my opinion. And Chase had the best reply to the others on that round table.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »