Home

OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
Disclaimer: I have only played about 7 innings of demo.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, I think people may have been looking for improved ball physics such as choppers and hump back liners etc. I think that would "freshen" it up some.

Things subtle to the AI that would make it play a little more realistic, such as injuries to pitchers on come backers,....

Again some of these things may be in, but I did not see them.

Ball physics have been improved in my opinion. I have not seen high choppers yet, but I hear what you saying.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #34
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

I think it is too early to pass judgment one way or the other. We need to play final build and go from there.

I also agree that bug fixes and tweaks are all that is needed to improve a game each year. We'll see March 8th...when I pick up my copy!!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Exactly... I mean, no **** it feels like 10. And oh no, it feels like one of the greatest baseball games ever made!?!? Come on SCEA, this game should be completely remade from the ground up so that it feels NOTHING like the previous version

Seriously though, will this be the thanks this team receives for having made such an authentic representation of the game? There is only so much more they can do to the gameplay each year. And what will happen next year, if they completely revamp the commentary? Will that again no longer be enough because the game already plays so well?

The "it feels just like 10" argument is just so incredibly ignorant IMO when it concerns this series. Other sports games? Yes, I could see the complaint, but here? To each their own I guess...
Wholeheartedly agree. All I can do is shake my head at the "feels too much like last year" argument.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #36
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

On the surface I could see why some would think its not a big improvement over 10. The game plays largely the same. Should we change the gameplay then? Its tried and true. Most would agree that this games represents baseball more than any other game represents its sport. So we should change that?

Analog controls give you a completely new way to play the game. I know they aren't for everyone, but at least give them a shot. In my opinion analog pitching revolutionized pitching in baseball games. I got into why I think that in the impressions thread. The new player models are spectacular. Players now look height weight proportionate and not stretched out to fit their body type. Don't even get me started on the lighting. Just ridiculously good.

As far as some other things that separate 11 form 10 are the ball physics. You can see the slicing and hooking the ball does in real life. The stances look better and more natural. I have also seen many new animations. Outfield play seems to have improved as well.

Look, I know I might sound like a shill for this game. Maybe in a way I am. Been playing it since 2005, but I admit its not perfect. There are definitely issues that still need worked out. Like the gloves not closing. lol this annoys me. They really need more catcher animations as well. Some choppers in the infield would be nice too.

I have faith they will fix these issues at some point. Until then, there is no reason to fix what isn't broken. Just continue to make it better.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #37
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

OVR: 14

It's hard to believe people want a completely different game than what The Show has been building for the last several years. It's a testament to the developers that they are allowed, due to the aforementioned foundation, to fine tune elements of the game to create the most authentic representation of baseball; a game full of subtleties. While I agree analog is not revolutionary, it was a much needed feature for this series.

I've read many posts complaining about the demo, but very few recommendations detailing improvements. The developers don't shy away from constructive criticism - community day is representative of this - so if you have an issue with the game, expound on it with an idea for improvement.

I love reading OS Staff Roundtables, but I am in disagreement with most of the thoughts presented. However, much like Chase, I love analog fielding and I think it's going to be the most lauded feature when the dust settles.

The demo give us all a very minor taste of what's to come for The Show '11. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the retail version March 8th.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #38
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearnzo
Wholeheartedly agree. All I can do is shake my head at the "feels too much like last year" argument.
Or your shake-weight - zinger!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...
Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 47

Great post 31. Totally agree.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #40
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
On the surface I could see why some would think its not a big improvement over 10. The game plays largely the same. Should we change the gameplay then? Its tried and true. Most would agree that this games represents baseball more than any other game represents its sport. So we should change that?

Analog controls give you a completely new way to play the game. I know they aren't for everyone, but at least give them a shot. In my opinion analog pitching revolutionized pitching in baseball games. I got into why I think that in the impressions thread. The new player models are spectacular. Players now look height weight proportionate and not stretched out to fit their body type. Don't even get me started on the lighting. Just ridiculously good.

As far as some other things that separate 11 form 10 are the ball physics. You can see the slicing and hooking the ball does in real life. The stances look better and more natural. I have also seen many new animations. Outfield play seems to have improved as well.

Look, I know I might sound like a shill for this game. Maybe in a way I am. Been playing it since 2005, but I admit its not perfect. There are definitely issues that still need worked out. Like the gloves not closing. lol this annoys me. They really need more catcher animations as well. Some choppers in the infield would be nice too.

I have faith they will fix these issues at some point. Until then, there is no reason to fix what isn't broken. Just continue to make it better.
The point for me anyways is why is the "Big Improvement" even discussed. It's not like the game needed a bunch of improvements. There's only so much you can improve on and a lot are dictated by technology available.
I've also played this series since it was 989 and it does get better each year. It's hard for any game to make huge strides in one year but the nature of the beast is we get a yearly release.
I just don't see where the game needs a "Big Improvement". Someone even posted that 2K made more improvements than the Show 11 like that was some negative on The Show 11....
2K had much more room to improve on so yeah if 2K wanted to of course they could make more improvements. (BTW I'm excited to see how 2K11 is coming around)
Other than lacing it up and hitting the field I don't know what more "Gameplay wise" SCEA can do that would amount to a "Big Improvement"

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »