Home

Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

This is a discussion on Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #217
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

A new feature in the hitting mechanic is not a necessity for me. I'd be welcome to some more seperation between great/good/bad CPU pitchers, but I'm not boycotting next year's title if they don't give us a new feature (flashing colors, etc). A new option actually scares me. The development process for a "new toy" generally takes a few years to perfect. Here's my case for adjustments vs. makeover.

This game has slightly too much up-side for a high power rating/downside for a contact guy with no power. A tweak in the power rating's importance could fix this.

The PCI is slightly too forgiving. Again, a tweak. No overhaul is needed.

Aces (CPU) are a little too easy to rattle (this kind of goes hand in hand with the PCI forgiveness). That said, run of the mill guys as well as "good" pitchers perform very realistically. No revamp is necessary.

User pitching is nearly perfect right now. As well CPU hitting (obviously, because these go hand in hand). My user walks allowed, strikeouts, hits per game, home runs allowed are all nearly spot on.

Fielding, on the other hand, really needs some work. A new feature here I would welcome, as long as auto field stays (just incase the new feature needs work).

Other than outfield errors and the stolen base/pickoff programming, I think I just about covered it (for in game play). This is game is beautiful! Am I the only one? We've got two choices:

1. Tear down, and rebuild.

2. Add to the foundation of this year's model

I'll take the latter. Why mess too much with a good thing?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:21 AM   #218
Rookie

OVR: 4

1. Create A Team (and be able to use it in Franchise Mode)

2. Create A Stadium

That's what I want!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #219
Knows what evil lurks...

JaSnake16's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
This game has slightly too much up-side for a high power rating/downside for a contact guy with no power. A tweak in the power rating's importance could fix this.
You make some great points in your entire post. My only slight caveat would be that the power ratings for out of the box stock players should be slightly tweaked where a 99 overall power hitter may hit say on average 52 homers over a 10 season (not career but the same season over and over) sim. This would put power where it rightfully is currently in baseball. Right now these hitters over a sim average closer to 65 which may have worked 10 years ago but not now. Im sure the "curve" on the power ratings wouldnt be too much to adjust. This would work as well for "weaker" hitters where they could still be able to hit the most obvious mistake for a HR every now and then during a played game. Hope you get my point

Another year, and here we go again.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #220
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
A new feature in the hitting mechanic is not a necessity for me. I'd be welcome to some more seperation between great/good/bad CPU pitchers, but I'm not boycotting next year's title if they don't give us a new feature (flashing colors, etc). A new option actually scares me. The development process for a "new toy" generally takes a few years to perfect. Here's my case for adjustments vs. makeover.

The PCI is slightly too forgiving. Again, a tweak. No overhaul is needed.

Aces (CPU) are a little too easy to rattle (this kind of goes hand in hand with the PCI forgiveness). That said, run of the mill guys as well as "good" pitchers perform very realistically. No revamp is necessary.

User pitching is nearly perfect right now. As well CPU hitting (obviously, because these go hand in hand). My user walks allowed, strikeouts, hits per game, home runs allowed are all nearly spot on.

Fielding, on the other hand, really needs some work. A new feature here I would welcome, as long as auto field stays (just incase the new feature needs work).

Other than outfield errors and the stolen base/pickoff programming, I think I just about covered it (for in game play). This is game is beautiful! Am I the only one? We've got two choices:

1. Tear down, and rebuild.

2. Add to the foundation of this year's model

I'll take the latter. Why mess too much with a good thing?
I wonder if SCEA gets user data sent to them - similiar to EA who gets millions of reports so they can send out tune files to tweak problem areas? Seems like that would go a long way in improving the current system.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #221
Rookie

OVR: 3
Well, I have been mentioning the playoff setup feature for use online/offline for more than 3 years. Glad someone found it on the forum. Here is a link to just one made earlier this year.

http://www.operationsports.com/vBulletin/scea-sports-mlb-online/401231-online-features-expansion-inclusion.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #222
Rookie

OVR: 8
Im one of those in betweeners. I cant sit thru a MOM mode, but I dont like too much user influence in the game. I like the balance the SCEA team has provided. One thing I enjoy is that I dont need to be playing everyday to keep my skill levels equal or greater than I was previously. On the flip side, I feel like if I do play everyday, Im not increasing my teams success too much. Granted I improve a little with awareness and timing, but Im still married to my player ratings/confidence/hot-cold streaks. I cant say that with other sport titles. I wouldnt revamp what isnt broke.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #223
Pro

OVR: 10

Just do something about the confidence meter please. Especially with relief pitchers at higher levels. Too many relievers come in with super human late slider movement and get strikeouts with relative ease. After one strikeout, the reliever's confidence is maxed out and the no hit robo pitcher is well on his way. Very arcade if you ask me.

If anything, relief pitchers blow a tremendous amount of games with leads in real life. Also, since when do relievers have 5 pitches they can throw for strikes! Make it real. They have 3 pitches and can throw 2 for strikes.

There are far too many swing and misses on sliders and changeups. The timing definitely needs to be tweaked so that foul tips are better represented. Sliders don't prevail on this. Professional hitters can foul off tons of pitches to get one they can make decent contact. This should not add to hits but more groundouts and popups.

Also, I will lower a cpu's fastball from 95 to 92 because that's what he throws in real life and he'll still throw 95 in the game! Make the attributes show up in the game! Too many pitchers with high walk meters show incredible control. This again is driven by the confidence meter.

95% of the game plays perfect. This year's game has some real arcade like gameplay. I can pretty much tell if I'm going to win or lose by the 2nd inning. The game should have more surprises and exciting finishes which I don't see this year.

Read More - Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show[/quote]
Old 11-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #224
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

I went back and read this entire thread and found lot's of great points. While I do not own 2010 (playing 2009) the improvements I would like to see are pretty simple as I think this game is almost perfect.

1) Fielding and running controls - I don't think these are great at all. Clunky would be the word I would use. I was an MVP 2005 player (PS2) before getting the show 2009 and their fielding and baserunning was and is still the best ever. I don't field or baserun on The Show. It is all set to auto which I have had no problem with, I feel it is much more sim playing that way. But if they were to improve the tightness of the controls in that area I would love to play the field and run again. Right now for me it is too frustrating to try. Plus I am a ballplayer so it really get's me upset when the wrong fielder is chosen etc on hot liners etc. And the baserunning can really be a cluster **** sometimes IMO.

2) Presentation - Just keep adding to this. The game is beautiful and all it needs are some tweaks like a weekly show, highlights, rumors etc. Baseball tonight or MLB network type of stuff.

That's it. This game to me is one of the crown jewels of sports games (NBA2K11,NCAA2011 and NHL 2011 being the others).

I love the hitting. It truly gives me the feeling I am battling and fighting for every hit, HR that I get.

I love Classic pitching. I love the fact it is a feel based method, and that some days my guys have great stuff and some days they don't.

While I loved the meter on MVP, I found that once you got your timing down it was too easy. Now the meter on The Show is different, as you still will miss the strike zone even if you time it perfect....so with that happening I felt classic pitching worked better for me and visually looks much better as I use no visual aids for pitching or hitting other than 1/4 guess pitch for hitting.

Not much needs to be done IMO with gameplay other than more window dressing. and improved controls.

On the AI front this is where things can really be tweaked better so you don't have to control all 30 teams to play commisoner for the purpose of vetoing a trade that is stupid, or resigning guys you know would not be out on the market etc. So I hope they do a nice scrub of the franchise AI and improve that like 2K11 has managed to do for Association.

I hope 2011 tempts me to upgrade from 2009!
NHL23 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 11-06-2010 at 08:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »