Home

The Show vs. 2K: MLB Grudge Match

This is a discussion on The Show vs. 2K: MLB Grudge Match within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #25
Pro

Vipers2k9's Arena

OVR: 11
In total agreement with rudyjuly2 here. After playing both games this year my thoughts are this. Graphicly the award goes to MLB 10 The show. Great Graphics but that's the problem in that that is all it has Graphics. All the Fun, Anything that would keep me wanting to play the show over and over and over has all been sucked out of this game.

The pitching and batting systems are horrid at best., Camera angle makes it feel like the Pitch is right on top of you so you have no time to swing the bat or even guess at the pitch. "Push-Button" Batting is so boring and does not feel like you in the game or playing the game.

While 2k10 does not have the graphics that the show has it has everything else that makes you play it over and over everyday. The pitching makes me feel like you are on the mound instead of just controlling the player. The batting is dead on as well. It feels like you are in the box and the way you have to do the contact and power swing is like you would have to do in real life.

2K10 by far blew The show out of the war in the baseball game war this year hands down. If the show's graphics where together with 2K10's game it would all be over but the shouting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #26
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: The Show vs. 2K: MLB Grudge Match

Well here is the thing. If you think it's a gimic then fine, personally I don't care if it's a gimic or not. We are not major league hitters, we are playing a video game. Yes we want it to be realistic but for me being realistic means getting realistic stats, not playing the game exactly like major leaguers do. So guess pitch is a feature I use because it helps me get realistic stats. I use 1/4 guess pitch so the penalty/reward isn't as great. I think it's a good feature because major league hitters do in fact look for certain pitches in certain counts and in certain locations. Now granted they don't know 100% where it's going if they guess right and that criticism is valid but if that bothers you then use no feedback and you won't either. For me I need the help and it's enhanced the gaming experience for me. I like thinking along with a pitcher instead of just seeing ball, hit ball. I hope they never take this feature out, gimic or not.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #27
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
Well here is the thing. If you think it's a gimic then fine, personally I don't care if it's a gimic or not. We are not major league hitters, we are playing a video game. Yes we want it to be realistic but for me being realistic means getting realistic stats, not playing the game exactly like major leaguers do. So guess pitch is a feature I use because it helps me get realistic stats. I use 1/4 guess pitch so the penalty/reward isn't as great. I think it's a good feature because major league hitters do in fact look for certain pitches in certain counts and in certain locations. Now granted they don't know 100% where it's going if they guess right and that criticism is valid but if that bothers you then use no feedback and you won't either. For me I need the help and it's enhanced the gaming experience for me. I like thinking along with a pitcher instead of just seeing ball, hit ball. I hope they never take this feature out, gimic or not.
I understand. If it's fun for you then great. I'd rather slow the pitch speed down a little more to help me read the pitch instead. You have an option that works for you in guess pitch. I don't have an option that I like. The pitch speed slider at 0 is still a touch too fast for me and leaves me frustrated. I prefer slowing it down and reducing the contact slider to balance it out.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #28
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26
Good write up. I agree that the commentating in the show is getting very stale. They need new commentators. Mlb2k10 is a fun game, but as the article states it still needs work especially in the fielding department. Both games have their strengths and weakness. I also agree with the show needing some new controls. Overall good write up..
Old 05-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #29
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
MLB 2k10 made me not throw out my 360 this year. MLB the show is still great but, my brother in law did not see enough to warrent buying the game this year as he just kept playing last years. 2k10 wins the upgrade war.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 46

2k was more fun for me this year as well, but no injuries and errors killed it off early. i went back to the show.
I prefer 09 over 10 but ah well.

As far as tghe shows negatives? i am sure the devs know what they are:

Bland/Lame overlays/stat presentation

horrid announcing [soup and rex]

old interface

those WILL get fixed next year.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #31
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
It's not just pitch speed. That was one factor. As I said, the commentary, pitching and batting angles and analog controls all make 2K10 more fun for me. I have stated many times (and I did earlier as well) that the Show is clearly more polished and is a better sim but it's stale right now for me. I'm bored with the pitching system in the Show and the fun factor just isn't there anymore.
this.

i have found myself asking, what is missing from the show? its the fun factor. it has become so good, but so stale at the same time. i find myself getting bored lol. maybe im just losing my luster for baseball and football games but i just find them stale. i rented 2k 10 from gamefly and while fun for a bit just wasnt my cup of tea either.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14
X
https://x.com/Fiddy14_

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
this.

i have found myself asking, what is missing from the show? its the fun factor. it has become so good, but so stale at the same time. i find myself getting bored lol. maybe im just losing my luster for baseball and football games but i just find them stale. i rented 2k 10 from gamefly and while fun for a bit just wasnt my cup of tea either.
I think The Show can be fun if you let it be fun.

Me personally, I couldn't stand playing 2k10 much at all. I might just be slow, but I could never get down the pitch movements. Heck, I know how to do a fireball in Street Fighter, but I can't throw a curveball! And the analog swinging was hit & miss too. Maybe it's just me.

The Show I think is getting to the point the last 3 years where to somebody who is just starting with the franchise will think it's amazing, but if you've been there all 3 years, you're going to be asking for more. Remember when Madden on PS2 was pretty solid, and we all wanted more? Personally, I'm still waiting for the "more" from that game. I really don't want The Show to add a few features, but in the same time losing its core qualities.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »