Home

The Show vs. 2K: MLB Grudge Match

This is a discussion on The Show vs. 2K: MLB Grudge Match within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #49
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: The Show vs. 2K: MLB Grudge Match

The only thing I don't like about analog pitching is the result feels random when you make a mistake.

In The Show, depending on where I miss the meter, or even in classic- where I release the button, a late release has the corresponding effect on the ball.

In 2k10, it just says bad gesture and the ball could go anywhere.

After playing 2k10, I'm not as big on analog controls as I used to be, in fact, if the classic mode wasn't pinpoint accuracy every time, I'd probably use it to pitch.

What I like about 2k10 is the pace of the game. 9 innings go by much faster than in the show.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #50
Banned

tKlausEffect's Arena

OVR: 1

Funny...this debate is almost identical to the one waged between NBA2K10 and NBA Live 10; NBA2K is to the Show10 in visuals and franchise as Live10 is to MLB2K in overall fun factor. Wierd.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0
I am a long time 360 owner and have played all the incarnations of 2K baseball and have always enjoyed the game even when the reviews sucked. That being said I was always itching to try The Show, and when I won my fantasy football league last season I used a portion of the winnings to pick up a PS3. I bought The Show the day it came out and have not been able to put it down. The occasional freezes up are quite annoying and the unforgiving difficulty drives me nuts at times, but the game on a whole is freaking amazing. As a life long baseball fanatic the presentation and feel for the live game are unmatched by any sports title I have ever played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #52
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

i am a giant mlb the show fan boy as it is really the only reason why i own a ps3 but i have to give the nod to 2k baseball this year. The show is becoming a bit dry in terms of game play. with the exception of graphical improvements from last gen to this generation of consoles and minor added features to the franchise and RTTS mode mlb the show has stayed pretty much the same.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #53
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi
I am a long time 360 owner and have played all the incarnations of 2K baseball and have always enjoyed the game even when the reviews sucked. That being said I was always itching to try The Show, and when I won my fantasy football league last season I used a portion of the winnings to pick up a PS3. I bought The Show the day it came out and have not been able to put it down. The occasional freezes up are quite annoying and the unforgiving difficulty drives me nuts at times, but the game on a whole is freaking amazing. As a life long baseball fanatic the presentation and feel for the live game are unmatched by any sports title I have ever played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
i am a giant mlb the show fan boy as it is really the only reason why i own a ps3 but i have to give the nod to 2k baseball this year. The show is becoming a bit dry in terms of game play. with the exception of graphical improvements from last gen to this generation of consoles and minor added features to the franchise and RTTS mode mlb the show has stayed pretty much the same.
Both of these quotes are perfect. The Show does so many things right and the baseball atmosphere is great. A first time Show fan will be delighted. But for some of us who have played the Show a long time it just feels stale and 2K10 is a breath of fresh air with different controls and camera angles.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #54
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

But in terms of head to head....it has zero bearing really. Objectively anyway.
Take a guy who's hasn't played either game and let them play both....I think I know which game they would say is better nearly to a man.
I'm sorry....but the Show is a FAR superior game to 2K10.
Not even close really.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #55
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
But in terms of head to head....it has zero bearing really. Objectively anyway.
Take a guy who's hasn't played either game and let them play both....I think I know which game they would say is better nearly to a man.
I'm sorry....but the Show is a FAR superior game to 2K10.
Not even close really.

M.K.
Knight165
That's probably a very easy decision for you because you are a manage only mode guy. I would agree that if you took two guys who haven't played either game that they would probably pick the Show. But how do you keep guys interested in the Show when the game has remained largely the same for years? They have shown no innovation with pitching or hitting mechanics. The lack of camera angles hurts as well.

What the Show does, it does extremely well. The game doesn't have any major flaws like 2K10 does but it needs to re-invent itself a bit imo. It really can't improve upon the options the game already has. It needs to add new options or it's in danger of becoming an annual roster update.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #56
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
That's probably a very easy decision for you because you are a manage only mode guy. I would agree that if you took two guys who haven't played either game that they would probably pick the Show. But how do you keep guys interested in the Show when the game has remained largely the same for years? They have shown no innovation with pitching or hitting mechanics. The lack of camera angles hurts as well.

What the Show does, it does extremely well. The game doesn't have any major flaws like 2K10 does but it needs to re-invent itself a bit imo. It really can't improve upon the options the game already has. It needs to add new options or it's in danger of becoming an annual roster update.
I very much disagree that it hasn't changed.
There are tons of new additions to the game....franchise...gameplay....graphics....ballpa rks(classics).
Okay..no new hitting or pitching mechanics(there were changes though)...but that's because....THEY WORK.
Also...no need to reinvent itself year after year after year....again...because it works. Sorry...but every iteration of MLB2K has been near horrible and it has no choice but to reinvent itself.

But again it seem from the article...they are matching The Show'10 to 2K10 head to head...not version to version, so being "stale" just doesn't hold here. To do so would not be objective IMO.

Hey....WSB and 2K used to be my game of choice ....the older versions of MLB('99...'00.....'01....etc., granted they were 989 games) were less than stellar(to be kind) and it would quite a few years until the tide turned('05 for me) that it would even be close. So it's not that I simply love the Show at all costs(but the fact that the game is so tight makes it pretty easy). If and when 2K gets their game together....open arms. Just hasn't happened yet.

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »