Home

MLB '10: The Show Top 5 Second Baseman

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Top 5 Second Baseman within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: MLB`10 The Show Top 5 Second Basemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupe
Phillips is rated too high as he is very inconsistent in my opinion. His batting stance seems to be wrong again this year. Good thing they allow us to change it.

First off, Thanks Russ and SCEA for giving BP some major love. Overated? Guy bats 4th on the worst offensive team in baseball (not this year though) and still hits almost .280 with 20 Hrs, 98 RBI's and 20+ steals and SHOULD have won gold glove. Votto was out for a month +, Bruce 3 months, and he only had Rolen protecting him for 40 games. HE IS A STUD!!!!!

Secondly, his stance is incorrect, but its hard to duplicate. He wiggles his bat a ton and then slows it down before the pitch comes. Guys can fix his stance. No big deal.

Go REDS!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #82
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: MLB '10: The Show Top 5 Second Baseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burds13
Utley and Zobrist are beast defensive 2nd basemen... oh, and they're beast offensive 2nd basemen, too. In Zobrist's case, you're probably dealing with a smaller sample size b/c he only really has 1.5 years worth of data, and it's allllll good.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...ition=2B/SS/OF

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...79&position=2B
Both Zobrist & Utley had .989 Fielding %, Cano had a .984 Fielding % That's a difference of .5. Not exactly a big difference
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #83
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4reak
Watch the games on a day to day basis then get back to me.
I could use my subjective eyes or I could use objective data compiled without bias. Which one do you think will be more accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4reak
His own manager felt he should have won it this year
You mean to tell me that a manager is promoting one of his own players? Holy crap, stop the presses. That's the most unbiased and reliable source out there!

Quote:
Everyone is using the ******** UZR ratings which have Teixeira as an average 1b basemen defensively.
UZR isn't a great stat for first basemen, this is something well known amongst statheads.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #84
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by burds13
I've never watched Hill on a consistent basis, but the numbers indicate that he's slightly below average. Not BAD, but not good or great.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...04&position=2B

It's crazy to see his OPS that low after launching 36 bombs.

Not sure what youre seeing here that says hes not a really good fielder..when he's played 2B he has .989 fielding pct had 3 seasons at .991 cano is right at .984 every year pretty much

and for the guys that think it was a burn to ask me about pitching around Hill..I never claimed they did pitch around him..just saying the obviously would not pitch around cano with the Yankees line up..hope that helps
Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #85
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Both Zobrist & Utley had .989 Fielding %, Cano had a 984 Fielding % That's a difference of .5. Not exactly a big difference
Check this out, takes range into account as well as ability to catch the ball.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-on-fangraphs/

Quote:
UZR/150 (ultimate zone rate per 150 games): The number of runs above or below average a fielder is, per 150 defensive games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #86
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBond007
Not sure what youre seeing here that says hes not a really good fielder..when he's played 2B he has .989 fielding pct had 3 seasons at .991 cano is right at .984 every year pretty much

and for the guys that think it was a burn to ask me about pitching around Hill..I never claimed they did pitch around him..just saying the obviously would not pitch around cano with the Yankees line up..hope that helps
See above link for UZR/150 metrics. (In lieu of fielding percentage)

Hill's not BAD, Hill's not great.

He's average.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #87
Rookie

keymax's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Both Zobrist & Utley had .989 Fielding %, Cano had a .984 Fielding % That's a difference of .5. Not exactly a big difference
Fielding pct. isn't a good way to evaluate a defensive player. It just says how many errors were made. And errors are determined by the the hometown scorer. So there is a subjective side. That's bad enough.

Also it doesn't show how good a player is getting to the ball at all. If you don't get a ball, you can't commit an error.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #88
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing
I could use my subjective eyes or I could use objective data compiled without bias. Which one do you think will be more accurate?

You mean to tell me that a manager is promoting one of his own players? Holy crap, stop the presses. That's the most unbiased and reliable source out there!

UZR isn't a great stat for first basemen, this is something well known amongst statheads.
SO his own manager would promote a subpar defender to the levels of a gold glove winner? Interesting how he pointed out ONLY Cano when asked about Mark Teixeira and a gold glove. You can give me this stats BS tag line but I know when I see him get to the balls that more the half the starting 2B cant get to that makes Cano a good defender.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »