Home

NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #881
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB
Here's what they should do:

Change what is currently LT to LB (so make direct pass LB)
Make what is currently LB to RB (dunno what it is - plays? i dunno if I use it)
Make what is currently RB to clicking the right stick
Make LT post up

simple intuitive solution. just make LT post up and figure out which combination of the other 3 is most intuitive.
Simple, definitely not. But it would be nice.
I'm fast, dudes can't get past my past
How they supposed to deal with my perfect present?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #882
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB
Here's what they should do:

Change what is currently LT to LB (so make direct pass LB)
Make what is currently LB to RB (dunno what it is - plays? i dunno if I use it)
Make what is currently RB to clicking the right stick
Make LT post up

simple intuitive solution. just make LT post up and figure out which combination of the other 3 is most intuitive.
That isn't intuitive either. LB is plays, RB is quick play and its used to cycle through plays. Direct Pass needs to be on a trigger because its easier to hold down when you're using the off ball features/freestyle passing. Doesn't make any sense to switch all of that because some people are used to LT for posting up.

The only switch that could work would be either map quick play to clicking the stick and RB to post up, or map alleyoop to something else and use Y for postup. Face buttons should be for things that get the most use and alleyoop really should not be on the 4 main buttons.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #883
Pro

OVR: 9

My initial experience was very positive after I learned the playbooks and the dribble moves. However, the quirks are really starting to annoy me.

1. The blocking is akward at best, easily the worst part of the game. I don't like how your player jumps straight up into the air to contest a shot. In the NBA, a player must often contort or angle their body/ arm to make a play on the ball.

2. Rebounding has been greatly improved, but it's still weird and tough to reliably grab a board after gaining proper position.

3. The CPU throwing up fadeaway 3's at least once a game and usually making them.

4. Post defense - I think this goes back to the straight up blocking animation where you feel helpless defending the bigs down low.

5. Transition Defense - When the CPU is running the break I typically feel helpless. I try and play the angles to cut the off, but they usually blow by me for an easy layup or dunk. I'm hoping a 2k camera-like view would help this.

I know this post sounds negative, but I am enjoying live. I thought last year's game had a lot of potential and I am seeing much of it being fulfilled. I am a big 2k guy, but I will give live a serious shot since 2k has been going downhill recently.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #884
Banned

OVR: 22
If they make it like 09 u just click the stick to engagae and hold away from the , its not clunky at all and it works, but I personally like the post in this game as its more natural to call a iso and walk slowly into the post rather than just running to the post and clicking a button becaue the guy will just unnaturally turn his back without even feeling the defender b4 he turns just my opinion and I think everyone should just get the controls down to a T before just dismissing them because it will take some natural motion and realism out of the game
Old 09-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #885
Rookie

OVR: 14
I guess the best option to solve the ongoing question about the mapping of the backing down button (assuming they can only map it to either sticks) would be:

- make the user click the LS to initiate a manual back down but at the same time keep it context sensitive if you make contact with a defender in the post.

That would keep both camps happy since some are already used to the AI making that decision and others want control of it every time. Is that possible Mike?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #886
MVP

BiggD's Arena

OVR: 18

Well i'm loving the demo

after playing around with sliders(speed,steal ability and fouls) its very enjoyable.
The control we have is amazing.There is a learning curve to this game of about 1-2 hours to really master the movement etc. Loving the little things i've seen too

- Gasol hurts his wrist(Marv comments about it) runs doing the court trying to shake it off

- Kobe with the baseline drive plenty of contact going to the rim you hear the grunts and "ohs" from the players

- I got called for a illegal screen(i was so excited about it though.lol)

-Stadium and matchup loading screens are pretty cool(music has a NBA on NBC sound to it)

Help defense is very much it the game. The mismatches are great too.

CONS

-sometimes the blocks look good sometimes they are just wack

- the player models and faces are the best i've ever seen in a game.(yeah i said it)
i think the problem is there is too much lighting throwing off complexions of some guys(Kobe with a shiney head??)

all up,the more i play the more pumped i am for the game. I think some people might be thrown off a little because you have to play true to life basketball.. no more running down the court with turbo on doing spin moves all the way to the rim for a monster dunk..try run some plays,its by far the best nba "feel" i've ever experienced in a game.
3.Blake Griffin
4.Ben Wallace
5.Shawn Kemp
Old 09-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #887
Banned

OVR: 22
The ai doesn't make the decision to post you do when u press lightly on the left stick while approaching the basket ..... and to the people complaining about blocks stop jumping as soon as the offender jumps that does not work u control your defender take steps toward the shot before jumping you can jump a lil late and still block the shot. My guy always jumps in the direction of the shot.. at first he didn't cause I would just press y to jump. Even if its a half of a stwep towards the guy before jumping it will help you in blocking and contesting shots. Just try once u start doing it you won't try to block shots any other way. The blocking is fine.... the game is getting in position to block or contest not just jumping. I wish there was instant replay so I could show you guys what I mean. Trust me this works on layups as well especially when behind the ball handler i.e. when the ballhandler goes for the layup just keep running till you get as close as possible the ball will hang a lil bit so if u jump just before he releases the ball you will get the josh smith/lebron james block from behind. Like I said in a earlier post I have already pinned a shot of the backboard and actually came down with the ball and I have spike the ball of the backboard from behind.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #888
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivo1050
My initial experience was very positive after I learned the playbooks and the dribble moves. However, the quirks are really starting to annoy me.

1. The blocking is akward at best, easily the worst part of the game. I don't like how your player jumps straight up into the air to contest a shot. In the NBA, a player must often contort or angle their body/ arm to make a play on the ball.

2. Rebounding has been greatly improved, but it's still weird and tough to reliably grab a board after gaining proper position.

3. The CPU throwing up fadeaway 3's at least once a game and usually making them.

4. Post defense - I think this goes back to the straight up blocking animation where you feel helpless defending the bigs down low.

5. Transition Defense - When the CPU is running the break I typically feel helpless. I try and play the angles to cut the off, but they usually blow by me for an easy layup or dunk. I'm hoping a 2k camera-like view would help this.
I agree with everything you said. I really don't like the blocking - like you said - the players only jump straight up...after all the great work the devs did to incorporate player momentum into the offense, they have totally ignored realistic movement and momentum on defense.

I would say priority one for Live 11 is to make sure the defensive control and offball control feel as good as the dribbling. They've nearly perfected the dribbling control and movement...now it's time to put the same effort into other areas.

When I move my player on defense, I want to feel that same sort of momentum and responsiveness that I feel when dribbling...on defense and offball control I want that same ability to do a quick burst of speed or a juke based on my left stick movement.

Shot blocking just needs to have more AI built into it so that when you press the block button, your player makes the correct movement. also, you should be able to use the left stick movement to control the direction of your jump on block attempts...so you can perform "moving momentum shot contests" similar to the "momentum shooting".

As of now, there is no "intelligence" built into the blocking animations - you just have to hope your player performs a block animation that is good enough to contest the shot...unfortunately you often get a weird animation where your player jumps in the wrong direction, or just doensn't jump TOWARD the shooter at all. When I attempt a block, it does not feel like my player has eyes or a brain, he just randomly jumps in unpredictable ways and doesn't look like he even knows where the shooter is.

Last edited by blues rocker; 09-13-2009 at 11:15 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »