Home

NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports FC 25 Review: We Need to Go Back to Formula
The Pain and Misery of Simulated Stats
EA Sports College Football 25 Guides, Explainers, and Tutorials

Old 09-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #577
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Sure, but this sort of positional defense was available to you last year. What held it back was the fact that you would sort of "suction" to the offensive player and could disrupt what he was doing. It would look awkward, with the player clinging on, latching off, clinging on... I'm glad it's gone.

But that doesn't mean a defender can be more active. The post, on the perimeter... as a defender I position myself to not give the man I'm defending a spot to get to... but what else is there? The challenge shot doesn't work after your player has jumped for a shot. Is this a demo only issue?

I just feel the defense is "passable" this year, but it was the same thing last year. You have enough things to sort of disrupt the offensive player... but look at the upgrade the offense received in terms of dribbling, passing, shooting... I honestly don't think anyone can say that defense was given the same sort of thorough cleansing. It's almost impossible to stop an offensive player already ahead of you with a hard foul or block attempt... they just swipe at the air behind them, even if you have momentum.

I'm not trying to take away from the good in the game. But the problem is... the good is so good, it makes the bad that much more noticeable.

I know you guys know exactly what I mean when I make that comment.
Can you tell us more of what it is you want to happen on defense. It's very fundamentally sound. There's no reason to create an overly powerful defense, because it just doesn't exist. NOBODY can stop KOBE. period. Or Lebron or wade or any of the other great offensive players in the league. I agree with the swiping at the air comment. But what is it that you want to see happening on defense. Holding? More bumping? I have not had any problems with staying in front of my man. But Im only playing for the contest. No steals, not blocks. But anyway I just think the system here allows me to play defense the way it should be played and without the videogamey suctions and warping to make up for it.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #578
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Sure, but this sort of positional defense was available to you last year. What held it back was the fact that you would sort of "suction" to the offensive player and could disrupt what he was doing. It would look awkward, with the player clinging on, latching off, clinging on... I'm glad it's gone.

But that doesn't mean a defender can be more active. The post, on the perimeter... as a defender I position myself to not give the man I'm defending a spot to get to... but what else is there? The challenge shot doesn't work after your player has jumped for a shot. Is this a demo only issue?

I just feel the defense is "passable" this year, but it was the same thing last year. You have enough things to sort of disrupt the offensive player... but look at the upgrade the offense received in terms of dribbling, passing, shooting... I honestly don't think anyone can say that defense was given the same sort of thorough cleansing. It's almost impossible to stop an offensive player already ahead of you with a hard foul or block attempt... they just swipe at the air behind them, even if you have momentum.

I'm not trying to take away from the good in the game. But the problem is... the good is so good, it makes the bad that much more noticeable.

fair enough. but consider this:

• rebuilding the onball defensive system to get rid of the literal suckage and canned outcomes in favor of a system that more reliably rewards good positional defense
  • incorporating the steal/take charge/neutral outcomes to the dribbling system
  • adding new trap scenarios
  • upgrading the layup/dunk counter system to include strips, hard fouls, and blocks
  • scrapping last year's canned block system for one that actually rewards good timing (albeit a bit buggy with facing and momentum issues)
  • improving double team logic, help defense, team-based defensive positioning/switching/rotations
  • defensive locomotion upgrade

and I could go on... does take quite a bit of effort and dev spend. to be honest, I agree that defense still needs work and we have plans to make it more engaging from a gaming perspective as well for next year. but it is a bit unfair to say that we ignored defense. not trying to argue with you or make you change your opinion, as I completely understand what you're saying. but i'm sure you understand that i have to defend my gameplay team as well. and the one thing that i am really happy about is that the sum of the parts (defensively) does do a "serviceable" job at balancing gameplay. and i think you guys will find in the full version that when you play full length games (be it online, OTP, against the AI, or against another user) that you will have some serious battles and valid defensive stops that don't come from me artificially nerfing the shooting %'s.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:47 AM   #579
Rookie

OVR: 8

Man, I had A LOT of fun. I was having some real difficulty getting used to the controls in my first game (one full court heave lol) but it felt pretty good afterwards.

Despite the hoopla and hype, deep inside I was of the mindset that if it 'felt' like the NBA Live of yesteryear then I'd skip it and stick with 2K. I don't think that's the case.

Overall, it's charming with the goofy intros, visually it's crisp and clean. Controlling players like I mentioned was awkward for me personally, but I really like the momentum players carried themselves with. The crowd was electric, and really made it feel like I was playing something I'd watch on TV. I caught myself with a huge grin on my face at least a couple of times - once with a Kobe three point buzzer beater to end the half and a sweet breakaway dunk with Gasol. Good stuff.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #580
Plata o Plomo

iLLosophy's Arena

OVR: 26

For those of you who have a problem with the way the AI grabs boards, goes for loose balls, or plays D, try playing it on Superstar. A lot (not all) of those issues seem to go away and it doesn't feel like the computer is cheating.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #581
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
For those of you who have a problem with the way the AI grabs boards, goes for loose balls, or plays D, try playing it on Superstar. A lot (not all) of those issues seem to go away and it doesn't feel like the computer is cheating.
this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #582
Banned

OVR: 6
Quote:

Agee 100% LIve 11 might be the game thats has the synergy defense.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #583
Pro

OVR: 33
Got to say I'm disappointed with NBA Live 10. From the moment I got into the game screen my first thoughts were, this looks like a cartoon. Everything looks far too bright & the uniforms just look like gloss paint (no material quality to them at all).
Sure the gameplay has improved but I still prefer the feel of the 2K series. It plays alot more smoothly & feels more organic.
I just hope 2K do something about them damned blurry caught logos that blemished the overall visual quality of NBA 2K9.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #584
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
Got to say I'm disappointed with NBA Live 10. From the moment I got into the game screen my first thoughts were, this looks like a cartoon. Everything looks far too bright & the uniforms just look like gloss paint (no material quality to them at all).
Sure the gameplay has improved but I still prefer the feel of the 2K series. It plays alot more smoothly & feels more organic.
I just hope 2K do something about them damned blurry caught logos that blemished the overall visual quality of NBA 2K9.
maybe you could adjust the levels on your setup. All games aren't created equal when it comes to brightness and colors and stuff. the gameplay, well different story. 2k also comes out on the 6th.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »