Home

NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

This is a discussion on NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #545
Banned

OVR: 23
Re: NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

My account got banned for some reason when I was just posting my impression lol. But anyways, really nice game.. It's a bit too easy on default difficulties, but this game is really good with sliders and other adjustments. I just hope EA continues to build on what they are doing here. I really want to see EA work on the defensive aspects of this game and really force you to move the ball around and work for baskets. With sliders i get that feeling but it still could still use some work. This game as far as control and basic gameplay and atmosphere is excellent though. Highly underrated. Probably the most fun I've had with a basketball game. But it has a ways to go as far as tuning the gameplay. I like how you really have to look for the open man and it's fairly random, but sometimes this game seems too loose and like you are channeling some arcade pro game. The defense could use some tightening up which would really help the pacing and tempo and challenge even more.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 12-13-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #546
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
Thanks for your help guys. As stated, I want to make this game work for me. It is tough to get rid of that 2k control scheme in my head but it is coming. It is definitely getting closer to a "buy" for me.

The whole "in air" charges bug the s*#t out of me but every game has it's faults.
Well, despite the positive comments in this thread - the rental is going back and I will not be stopping to purchase this thing. I tried, stayed up the past two nights allowing myself only 3hours of sleep per night and it just is not doing it for me.

I got to the point where it was pretty enjoyable..... enjoyable and I know that is what games are supposed to be but even after adjusting to the control scheme here I saw some stuff that made me say "wow....this is EA...and it is good." - there just was not enough of it.

I will say that the off-ball movement is truly amazing to watch. However, as amazing as it is.... things like ball physics on shots, the lack of urgency (zero) to get loose balls....are that poorly done. Guys are content to simply watch the ball roll out of bounds on a consistent basis. I cannot put exactly into words what I dislike about the ball physics on shots - but it does not look sim - it looks very adcade-like for lack of a better term. It is allmost as if the ball moves too quickly, so quickly that it should never really go in. Slow down the speed and then the players move too slow. Not to refer back to 2k but it is asking too much for a player speed slider, and a game speed slider?

I will say - nice stride forward for EA, I will take a look again next year and see what you have done.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #547
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
A few years ago I was playing a game, and my pregnant wife claimed her water broke.
I proceeded to tell her she just had just peed herself because it happens to alot of pregnant women (and it was like 2 weeks before her due date).
I just wanted to get back to my sports video game. Needless to say, it didn't go over too well, I was threatened with bodily harm, and her water did indeed break , so off to the hospital I went . So I can relate to the pressure.
That's why every sports game should have an in game save feature....no more threats....
Old 12-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #548
Cy Young?

windseer90's Arena

OVR: 29

It seems to me that the CPU is able to hit inside shots easily to me. I have inside shooting at 0, and whenever the CPU bigman backs me down, I can never contest the shot. I have D and C rated teams backing me down and scoring in the paint all day. Is there something for this? I really want to enjoy the game, but this part has me frustrated.

(603): not only are you not the girl i fell in love with, but from the looks of it, you ate her
Old 01-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #549
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by windseer90
It seems to me that the CPU is able to hit inside shots easily to me. I have inside shooting at 0, and whenever the CPU bigman backs me down, I can never contest the shot. I have D and C rated teams backing me down and scoring in the paint all day. Is there something for this? I really want to enjoy the game, but this part has me frustrated.
Have you tried switching guys for the weakside block or to alter the shot? I saw the same problem but the quick switch is really helping out.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #550
Rookie

Omega Kid's Arena

OVR: 4

I think, besides some issues, this is a fantastic game than deserves attention from ch lovers. Great atmosphere and a lot of fun.
Play vs cpu is a pleasure, something ive serious misses from 2k bball games. IA dsnt try everytime to crush defense for easy layups/dunks, here i can play defense. With OS roters and tweaked sliders is even more better. Like this game.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #551
Rookie

Omega Kid's Arena

OVR: 4

2 things i dnt like about IA is the vicious tendence to sink 3ps for keep close games, dnt think sliders change so much that behaviour. That dnt happen on every game, but when it does, is annoying, feels like cheat. Another thing is a total lack of players response during loose balls, they dnt seems to get the ball. That leads to some weird situations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #552
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by windseer90
when the cpu goes to make his move, press the L analog stick away from him and towards the basket only slightly to step back and not let him control you with his body. Then you should be able to contest the shot.

If he does make his move with his body on yours(ewww), then press the R analog stick either up or down to contest the shot. You won't jump, but will put a hand in the shooters face.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »