Home

NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

This is a discussion on NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #481
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

Have I mentioned how much I am loving this game?

One of the things that I think may get overlooked is the fact that the cpu seems to use his go to guys, premier guys, quite a bit during the game. They also do a good job of exploiting mismatches. Case in point, Minnesota pounded the ball inside to Iverson as he was matched up one on one with Samuels. Iverson was a bit taller than Samardo and used baby hooks to score. I finally had to switch to zone and when in man to man, double Iverson when he got the ball in the post, which led to them getting open looks at 3. Thankfully they missed a majority of them.

Another case was that UAB ran their offense through Robert Vaden. He took 19 shots in this game and played 32 minutes. He only came out due to foul trouble it seemed. He and T-Will were having hellacious one on one battles. T-Will got the better of him

Damn, I am loving this game.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #482
Rookie

Jason2112's Arena

OVR: 19

My overall impression of this game is positive. I really wasn't sure if EA would slack off because of the lack of a competitor this year, but they stepped up and actually produced a decent game. My complaints though are rebounding and the simulation engine does seem to be off. Not quite sure how in a simulation that three of the four #1 seeds lose to a 16 in the same year when it's never even happened once ever????
Old 11-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #483
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
What is the sink/swim slider? I mean, what is its function?
Supposedly it's a momentum/unity type of thing.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 11-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #484
Rookie

OVR: 1
Angry Re: NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

this is by far the WORST college basketball game I have played in the last 10 Years. I have owned every 2k and EA college basketball game for the last probably ten years and this one takes the cake. Players don't even seem to respond to the controller. POST PLAY OMFG if any time you try to back someone down for more than 2 seconds its a charge. First game i played as Kansas my FG percent for the first half was 23 percent. VERY DISAPPOINTED.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #485
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGUL8R316
this is by far the WORST college basketball game I have played in the last 10 Years. I have owned every 2k and EA college basketball game for the last probably ten years and this one takes the cake. Players don't even seem to respond to the controller. POST PLAY OMFG if any time you try to back someone down for more than 2 seconds its a charge. First game i played as Kansas my FG percent for the first half was 23 percent. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

*reads the bolded lines again*

*puts on reading glasses and reads it again*

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #486
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGUL8R316
POST PLAY OMFG if any time you try to back someone down for more than 2 seconds its a charge.
Learn the controls genius. Lay of the L-stick and you won't get called for a charge. Post moves are done just using the r-stick.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #487
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Have I mentioned how much I am loving this game?

One of the things that I think may get overlooked is the fact that the cpu seems to use his go to guys, premier guys, quite a bit during the game. They also do a good job of exploiting mismatches. Case in point, Minnesota pounded the ball inside to Iverson as he was matched up one on one with Samuels. Iverson was a bit taller than Samardo and used baby hooks to score. I finally had to switch to zone and when in man to man, double Iverson when he got the ball in the post, which led to them getting open looks at 3. Thankfully they missed a majority of them.

Another case was that UAB ran their offense through Robert Vaden. He took 19 shots in this game and played 32 minutes. He only came out due to foul trouble it seemed. He and T-Will were having hellacious one on one battles. T-Will got the better of him

Damn, I am loving this game.
man countryboy, it seems you are enjoying the game as much as I am! I am absolutely loving it! Its fun (to me) and thats the bottom line.

I was finally able to start my JU dynasty and I had one hell of a first game against FSU. First off, when I read my email from the AD...it said that the Booster club was excited to have me as a coach and that if I win our home opener against FSU that they would provide me with some facility upgrades. I thought this was a cool incentive to have! We jumped out to an early lead but we always went through a stretch where we would let them back into the game. We led most of the game....FSU took their first lead with 1:30 left to play. I thought I lost all momentum because I just lost a 9 point lead just like that. Tony Douglas was killing us with some timely threes. He was quiet most of the game but took over in the final 5 minutes (this was very cool to see by the way). We were able to get the lead back with a big time 3pt play from our PG, Ben Smith. It was off a designed play and that made it even more sweet. We were up 3 with 6 seconds left and FSU was inbounding......somehow, Douglas got open for a three and I had to hustle over there with my SF Aaron Hardy....i was thinking that if he got the shot off it was going in....but Hardy was able to get over there and block his shot! We celebrate the win! ...plus we get that facility upgrade!

I am truly loving this game!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #488
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_rob11
man countryboy, it seems you are enjoying the game as much as I am! I am absolutely loving it! Its fun (to me) and thats the bottom line.

I was finally able to start my JU dynasty and I had one hell of a first game against FSU. First off, when I read my email from the AD...it said that the Booster club was excited to have me as a coach and that if I win our home opener against FSU that they would provide me with some facility upgrades. I thought this was a cool incentive to have! We jumped out to an early lead but we always went through a stretch where we would let them back into the game. We led most of the game....FSU took their first lead with 1:30 left to play. I thought I lost all momentum because I just lost a 9 point lead just like that. Tony Douglas was killing us with some timely threes. He was quiet most of the game but took over in the final 5 minutes (this was very cool to see by the way). We were able to get the lead back with a big time 3pt play from our PG, Ben Smith. It was off a designed play and that made it even more sweet. We were up 3 with 6 seconds left and FSU was inbounding......somehow, Douglas got open for a three and I had to hustle over there with my SF Aaron Hardy....i was thinking that if he got the shot off it was going in....but Hardy was able to get over there and block his shot! We celebrate the win! ...plus we get that facility upgrade!

I am truly loving this game!

Holy Crap that must've been an amazing, anxiety riddled game. I hope that I don't have that come down to a single play like that, not sure I could handle it. Did you save a video of the blocked shot?

Glad you're enjoying the game.

Like I've said, its not perfect, not by any stretch of the word. But it does enough right to be an extraordinarily fun game on the court and is just deep enough in dynasty mode to allow me to play multiple upon multiple seasons.

There's a lot of little things that they need to tweak/tune/add to become truly great, but the good thing is that they have a solid foundation in which to work with.

Last edited by countryboy; 11-30-2008 at 07:44 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »