Home

NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

This is a discussion on NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #457
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxslim502xx
well this game is going back, i tried to give it a chance...ive messed with sliders and everything this game is just horrible, its a step up from 08...the core engine is ok..but the animations need to go everything is so stiff and canned, it feels like you have no control over anything you do it takes 2 seconds for the game to react to your controller input...2k8 is lightyears ahead of this in gameplay...sure the graphics are nice, besides all the players look like crackheads, but hopefully 2k brings back 2k10 next year for a REAL basketball game...and im not a EA ***** i like the ea football games the basketball franchises just need ALOT of work...
Sorry to hear that.....

I just picked this game up today. Lost to Xavier with Dayton 42-38 on 8 min halves. Just a quick game on default to get used to game but loving the gameplay so far.

I was in a 10-min halve game using Heelfan's Slider UC vs. Xavier. I was UC and up 48-44 with 1:38 left in game when I called a timeout. During the sub screen the game froze. Was odd, and annoying.

Going to install it to HDD and delete FIFA from there. Man I wish I had a bigger HDD.

More impressions to come...

Twitch Stream
Old 11-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #458
Tar Heels/UCF

skinfan31's Arena

OVR: 9

I didn't see a glitch thread, so I'm going to try to post this here. I was playing with Syracuse when I called a timeout to slow the cpu momentum and make a few subs. After inbounding the ball I had 6 players on the court. All 6 remained on the court until the next timeout.

Bear with me because I never posted a picture on here before. Hopefully this works.

www.easportsworld.com/en_US/photo/2454135
Old 11-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #459
Tar Heels/UCF

skinfan31's Arena

OVR: 9

Oh well, I don't know how to display the actual picture, but the link is there. Despite the few flaws, I'm really enjoying the game. I just have to find the right sliders to lower the CPU shooting%. They shoot anywhere from 63% to 75% against me.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #460
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxslim502xx
well this game is going back, i tried to give it a chance...ive messed with sliders and everything this game is just horrible, its a step up from 08...the core engine is ok..but the animations need to go everything is so stiff and canned, it feels like you have no control over anything you do it takes 2 seconds for the game to react to your controller input...2k8 is lightyears ahead of this in gameplay...sure the graphics are nice, besides all the players look like crackheads, but hopefully 2k brings back 2k10 next year for a REAL basketball game...and im not a EA ***** i like the ea football games the basketball franchises just need ALOT of work...
I think there is just something seriously wrong with this game. I can't put my finger on the main culprit, but the rebounding engine is jacked, no responsive shooting mechanism which means my wife can shoot just as well as I can and she's never played a video game, and the simulation engine is just comical. Get real guys. Five games into the season and no one in the nation is undefeated????? How is that? I think everyone is just trying to MAKE this game work because it's the only option. Maybe upcoming patches can fix some of these issues, but there is a lot that is VERY wrong with this game. I simulated Morehead St./Louisville and Morehead won by 10 at Freedom Hall. That would never happen in 100 games. Louisville beat em by 30 this year.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #461
Rookie

tfin1212's Arena

OVR: 4

I am really, really...really tryna give this game a chance. Right now the only thing that is really good to me are the graphics and post play. The courts are obviously great. No one will dispute that. The post play is good in that you can perform a spin move, turn and face, or shoot a turn around jumper...the three things you will see in real life most commonly. I think its too easy to score in the post though and players verticals are low. The charges are wack but i guess that can be fixed with sliders.

I also like the playcalling. It is realistic.

The interaction between two opposing players is good (while running plays it looks real) but it doesnt go well all together 5 vs. 5. I dont like being sucked into animations and the help defense doesnt feel right. If jumpshots were more fluid this game who be muuuch better.

Jumpshots are a real killer for me. No one get elevation on their shots and everyone shoots the same. They do the little hop and its sooo quick. Why do teams foul jumpshooters so much!!!?

The dynasty and recruiting I beleive really fall short. Being a huge NCAA Football fan and 2K8 fan. This is what I look forward to most in a college game nowadays
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #462
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzy02
I think there is just something seriously wrong with this game. I can't put my finger on the main culprit, but the rebounding engine is jacked, no responsive shooting mechanism which means my wife can shoot just as well as I can and she's never played a video game, and the simulation engine is just comical. Get real guys. Five games into the season and no one in the nation is undefeated????? How is that? I think everyone is just trying to MAKE this game work because it's the only option. Maybe upcoming patches can fix some of these issues, but there is a lot that is VERY wrong with this game. I simulated Morehead St./Louisville and Morehead won by 10 at Freedom Hall. That would never happen in 100 games. Louisville beat em by 30 this year.
Yes, I'm trying to make it work. I am not getting any enjoyment out of the game at all. I am forcing myself to play the game.

Oh and the Top 14 teams in the polls and not sure the number overall in the polls and the nation are undefeated. And as far as upsets, well man, thats the beauty of college basketball for some. I guess for others, not so much.

On the court the game is great. Yes, some of the animations are stiff and need to be replaced. And yes, there are a few things that I wish were tweaked, but its a great representation of the game in my opinion.

Off the court the game is solid. I never played 2k8 so I don't know how much "better" its dynasty mode is or whatnot, but the dynasty mode in NCB'09 isn't as shallow as people are making it out to be. Its got a lot going for it. Sure there are things I wish they'd improve upon(in season tourneys, rivalry games being locked games) but as I said, its solid and its deep enough to keep me playing several seasons.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 11-29-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #463
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

This is one reason why I am enjoying the hell out of this game. Here are the final scores of my games thus far in my dynasty. Every game has been played with the same sliders and on the All-American difficulty level:

Morehead State: 77-54 W
Western Kentucky: 76-49 W
Indiana State: 88-60 W
Ohio: 75-68 W
Lamar: 63-49 W
Austin Peay: 75-62 W
Ole Miss: 72-52 W

Every game has a different flow and a different feel. The first 3 games I dominated for the most part. May have stubbed my toe early on or for a stretch or so, but never did I feel as though I was going to lose. The Ohio game scared the daylights out of me as they couldn't miss from behind the arc. They shot lights out and kept themselves in the game. The Austin Peay game, I trailed by 8 with 5 minutes to go and had to put together a 12-2 run in a 2 minute span to take the lead for good. The Ole Miss game, probably one of the better teams I've played, was pretty much over after the first 5 minutes. I jumped out by double digits before mid way thru the opening half and never did they cut the lead to single digits.

Damn, I am loving this game.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 11-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #464
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Yes, I'm trying to make it work. I am not getting any enjoyment out of the game at all. I am forcing myself to play the game.

Oh and the Top 14 teams in the polls and not sure the number overall in the polls and the nation are undefeated. And as far as upsets, well man, thats the beauty of college basketball for some. I guess for others, not so much.

On the court the game is great. Yes, some of the animations are stiff and need to be replaced. And yes, there are a few things that I wish were tweaked, but its a great representation of the game in my opinion.

Off the court the game is solid. I never played 2k8 so I don't know how much "better" its dynasty mode is or whatnot, but the dynasty mode in NCB'09 isn't as shallow as people are making it out to be. Its got a lot going for it. Sure there are things I wish they'd improve upon(in season tourneys, rivalry games being locked games) but as I said, its solid and its deep enough to keep me playing several seasons.
Maybe you should try 2k8's legacy mode to give yourself perspective on EA '09 before talking. I think '09 is a step in the right direction, but nowhere close to 2k8.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »