Home

NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

This is a discussion on NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #321
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
Too bad they didn't include a picture of her on the game to show when her commentary starts up. Then I wouldn't care what in the hell she was talking about.
I guarantee that I wouldn't be listening to a word she said.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #322
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I guarantee that I wouldn't be listening to a word she said.
I really enjoy her sideline reporting but I honestly don't think I can recall anything she's every talked about, nor have I ever cared.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #323
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

I like the game for the most part. It definitely feels different from previous games. However, the sim engine is pretty bad. I simmed 2 seasons to get a feel for the sim engine:

Highest team points per game: 79-81
Highest individual points per game: 19-21
Highest individual assists per game: 5.5-6.5
Highest individual rebounds per game: 9.5-10
Highest individual steals per game: 1.7-1.9
Highest individual blocks per game: 2.6-3.0

Those are pretty weak numbers in my eyes. The problem for the individual numbers is superstars aren't getting enough minutes. Stephen Curry was only averaging 27 minutes per game. Same for the other star players. I don't recall seeing one player average more than 30 minutes per game.

Bummer.

Oh, and the Top 25 polls are pretty bad too. I saw St. Mary's at #2 with a 16-4 record at one point. WTF. Every team had at least 6 losses too by the end of the regular season.

Last edited by J-Unit40; 11-21-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #324
All Star

crques's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
I like the game for the most part. It definitely feels different from previous games. However, the sim engine is pretty bad. I simmed 2 seasons to get a feel for the sim engine:

Highest team points per game: 79-81
Highest individual points per game: 19-21
Highest individual assists per game: 5.5-6.5
Highest individual rebounds per game: 9.5-10
Highest individual steals per game: 1.7-1.9
Highest individual blocks per game: 2.6-3.0

Those are pretty weak numbers in my eyes. The problem for the individual numbers is superstars aren't getting enough minutes. Stephen Curry was only averaging 27 minutes per game. Same for the other star players. I don't recall seeing one player average more than 30 minutes per game.

Bummer.

Oh, and the Top 25 polls are pretty bad too. I saw St. Mary's at #2 with a 16-4 record at one point. WTF. Every team had at least 6 losses too by the end of the regular season.

Well those aren't encouraging things that you've mentioned and really have me on the fence about picking this game up now. Since I'm a sim guy, those are definite areas of concern for me. I'm assuming there are no sliders to adjust shot tendencies or minutes played? Do you think editing individual player fatigue would help the minutes and points per game for some of the star players? The rankings have been a concern of mine since I watched the dynasty video a few weeks ago. How are the NCAA Tournament brackets? Do they seem reasonable and fair? Also, what in season tournaments are on the game? I read somewhere a while back that there were only 4 or 5.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #325
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
Well those aren't encouraging things that you've mentioned and really have me on the fence about picking this game up now. Since I'm a sim guy, those are definite areas of concern for me. I'm assuming there are no sliders to adjust shot tendencies or minutes played? Do you think editing individual player fatigue would help the minutes and points per game for some of the star players? The rankings have been a concern of mine since I watched the dynasty video a few weeks ago. How are the NCAA Tournament brackets? Do they seem reasonable and fair? Also, what in season tournaments are on the game? I read somewhere a while back that there were only 4 or 5.

Same here. I think the main thing holding me back is the dynasty mode (which is pretty much all I would be playing). It seems the top 25 rankings have no rhyme or reason from everything I have seen and read so far. I don't want a game with a messed up ranking system. I don't know, i am just so torn on whether to get this game or not.

I am waiting to here more about recruiting really. I am hoping its like NCAA football 09. ....if it is, and if its not too easy to recruit 4 and 5 star recruits with a small school, i think that will push me to go out and buy this game. I really enjoyed the challenge CH 2k8 gave me in recruiting....i just hated seeing so many 7'2" players coming in.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #326
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

OMG!!! This on the fence thing is getting old! If your not going to get the game then don't. But to keep waiting to hear others opinions on Recruiting and all that crap come on Crques...go rent it and get it over with. Same with you K_Rob...

you guys have more post about I would but, I would but!!! Than I've ever seen...lol

Go rent the damn thing or just go buy it! It's the only NCAA Basketball out period with everything current. And it's not a bad game in no way!

Go rent and use your own judgment don't let online opinions be your swaying. Live 09 was good and so is this it's more polished without a patch!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #327
All Star

crques's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
OMG!!! This on the fence thing is getting old! If your not going to get the game then don't. But to keep waiting to hear others opinions on Recruiting and all that crap come on Crques...go rent it and get it over with. Same with you K_Rob...

you guys have more post about I would but, I would but!!! Than I've ever seen...lol

Go rent the damn thing or just go buy it! It's the only NCAA Basketball out period with everything current. And it's not a bad game in no way!

Go rent and use your own judgment don't let online opinions be your swaying. Live 09 was good and so is this it's more polished without a patch!!!

A) Unfortunately the 2 blockbusters within 20 miles of my house do not have the game yet, therefore I cannot rent it.

B) I'm curious about recruiting because I spend a majority of my time simming and recruiting. I do play games during the season, but I normally don't play all of them. I liked the gameplay of the demo but for me there are far more things that make a sports game worthy of a purchase, and dynasty mode is one of those.

C) I'm sure that money isn't an issue for some guys on here, but shelling out $65 for something that I'm unsure about isn't something I like to do, especially considering that you only get about 2/3 of that back if you try to sell it after you buy it. By no means am I poor or anything like that, but I try to spend my money wisely especially when Christmas is a month away and I have a family that would enjoy some nice gifts from Santa. LOL

D) There are several guys on here whose opinion I trust and value so asking questions about certain aspects of a game when deciding to buy it isn't any different than researching a product and reading customer reviews on any other website, which most good consumers do.

E) I know that you are strictly "EA Basketball" all the way and that's fine. We all are entitled to our opinions and I'm sure the game is decent from the impressions I've seen, but unsure if it has enough good qualities and features to warrant a purchase from me. I've been burned too many times in the past by this company just to run out and throw away money on a college b-ball game just because it's the only one available this season and they advertise "if it's in the game, it's in the game." I'm sure we all can attest that their motto is nowhere near being accurate and their games have become quite glitchy and careless as of late.

Anyway with all that being said, I probably will pick the game up tonight and form my own opinions because I'm bored with my current games and anxious for some college basketball. Hopefully the wife will understand and not question why I can't wait another month and get it for Christmas.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #328
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows

lol....i'd rent, but there's no blockbuster close to where i live and i am waaaay too lazy to go to the nearest one. Not worth the trip.

I rather just keep posting about how much i am on the fence!

lol nah...i just watched ur vid (in ur arena) and i think i will end up getting it. But for me, I only have time to play one game (or I should say, I would like to get fully immersed in only one game since my life restricts my gaming time)...because of this, my gaming library consists of APF 2k8 (keeper forever), Madden 09, NBA 2k9, and CH 2k8....thats it. ....I am seriously on a tight budget (wife and I are saving up for the holidays...), sooooo if i do get it, I would probably have to trade in madden 09 & NBA 2k9.... not sure my wife would appreciate me spending $60 on another game (yeah, i know, i am whoooped!)....

Normally, around this time I am just playing CH. This is the most games I have ever had in my gaming library at once! I just want to make sure it is worth trading in Madden 09 (which i hardly play anymore since it is starting to bore me to death) and NBA 2k9 (which i do still play, but not nearly as interesed in playing as much as I used to because college basketball season has started). I guess i don't mind owning just APF and NCAA 09.

But yeah...you're right...i don't think i have ever posted this much in a forum for a game that i didn't own. lol. I'll stop now and just read....the next time i post in here will be when i give my impressions of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »