Home

NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

This is a discussion on NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #289
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

Like others in this thread I'm resisting the urge to rush out and get this game until more impressions drop. I feel like a lot of basketball heads here, who in the past would have been more forthcoming with the problems of the game, seem to be treating the EA b-ball games with kid gloves. This makes it difficult to get a solid read on this game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #290
Banned

OVR: 12

picked it up yesterday. some of you know i've been critical on nba live. This game does the things live doesn't do to a very respectable level. It's a really good representation of the college game.

There are still some issues that are due to the engine that it uses, but it is easily the best of the "march madness" games by far. As stated theres not a lot to the presentation, the modes are relatively bare bones.

But the gameplay is surprisingly solid for me. I've only had the chance to play 8 full games thus far against a variety of different teams. It's very competitive and the teams all play differently to a degree. I see that the tempo's dictate a lot of how a team will play. However, that tempo translates the same way no matter the team, regardless of the particular players. If the 3 keys are the same for kentucky as they were in a game for long beach state, it played out the same, for the most part. The tempo with running teams heavily shows the disparity much more in talent though, which is very cool. Im trying now to be dominated by a big, but haven't been able to see that happen.

people that liked live, this should be a no brainer. Anyone like me who was less than impressed with live, but open to the experience, thumbs up for me.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #291
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

OVR: 22

I swear the more you play, the better this game gets. I just lost in a blowout as Winthrop and it was one of the most satisfying feelings I ever got from playing a video game. Even while I was getting blown out I just couldn't stop thinking how fun it was.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #292
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdribbles25
picked it up yesterday. some of you know i've been critical on nba live. This game does the things live doesn't do to a very respectable level. It's a really good representation of the college game.

There are still some issues that are due to the engine that it uses, but it is easily the best of the "march madness" games by far. As stated theres not a lot to the presentation, the modes are relatively bare bones.

But the gameplay is surprisingly solid for me. I've only had the chance to play 8 full games thus far against a variety of different teams. It's very competitive and the teams all play differently to a degree. I see that the tempo's dictate a lot of how a team will play. However, that tempo translates the same way no matter the team, regardless of the particular players. If the 3 keys are the same for kentucky as they were in a game for long beach state, it played out the same, for the most part. The tempo with running teams heavily shows the disparity much more in talent though, which is very cool. Im trying now to be dominated by a big, but haven't been able to see that happen.

people that liked live, this should be a no brainer. Anyone like me who was less than impressed with live, but open to the experience, thumbs up for me.
That's good to hear and I will take that into account since I respect your opinion so far lol. I havent picked it up yet, but I probably will eventually. I'm just in no rush since I went back and forth on 2k and live and am kind of still just trying to enjoy live right now. I was thinking the same thing about tempo and what not and that is one major drawback from live which might make me jump ship sooner than expected.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #293
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker8
That's good to hear and I will take that into account since I respect your opinion so far lol. I havent picked it up yet, but I probably will eventually. I'm just in no rush since I went back and forth on 2k and live and am kind of still just trying to enjoy live right now. I was thinking the same thing about tempo and what not and that is one major drawback from live which might make me jump ship sooner than expected.
It is a good game. Especially if you like college ball, pretty atmospheric too. once the game has started to ebb and flow, it's pretty immersive. Anxious to get some rosters and get dynasty poppin'.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #294
Rookie

OVR: 2

I love this game, once I get the sliders adjusted a little more and get the named rosters it will play even better.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #295
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA14
So what do you guys think overall? I keep hearing the dynasty mode is shallow? I'm thinking about picking the game up, but I'm curious about that mode and the gameplay obviously. I played the demo on Xbox, but I just got the 3 rings, I've got it downloading for PS3. I think the gameplay is decent, but some of it felt a little weird to me. Does the final game play great? I guess I'm just used to playing the 2k basketball games and I'm just curious what comparison, if any, there is to CH 2k8 and stuff. I've been reading through this thread and I see a lot of good things about the game.

But like the poster above, I'm curious if recruiting is too easy.

They don't want you mentioning 2k8, just a heads up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #296
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
That's a good point, I noticed if you hold down L2 the CPU will control everything your player does. If you're at half court and the man you're suppose to be guarding is in the far corner and you old L2, your man will run cross court to the guy he's suppose to be guarding. L2 is def not a typical 2K player lock feature, more like "there's chaos and I don't know where I'm suppose to be" button.
I like this feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »