Home

NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

This is a discussion on NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #329
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
A) Unfortunately the 2 blockbusters within 20 miles of my house do not have the game yet, therefore I cannot rent it.

B) I'm curious about recruiting because I spend a majority of my time simming and recruiting. I do play games during the season, but I normally don't play all of them. I liked the gameplay of the demo but for me there are far more things that make a sports game worthy of a purchase, and dynasty mode is one of those.

C) I'm sure that money isn't an issue for some guys on here, but shelling out $65 for something that I'm unsure about isn't something I like to do, especially considering that you only get about 2/3 of that back if you try to sell it after you buy it. By no means am I poor or anything like that, but I try to spend my money wisely especially when Christmas is a month away and I have a family that would enjoy some nice gifts from Santa. LOL

D) There are several guys on here whose opinion I trust and value so asking questions about certain aspects of a game when deciding to buy it isn't any different than researching a product and reading customer reviews on any other website, which most good consumers do.

E) I know that you are strictly "EA Basketball" all the way and that's fine. We all are entitled to our opinions and I'm sure the game is decent from the impressions I've seen, but unsure if it has enough good qualities and features to warrant a purchase from me. I've been burned too many times in the past by this company just to run out and throw away money on a college b-ball game just because it's the only one available this season and they advertise "if it's in the game, it's in the game." I'm sure we all can attest that their motto is nowhere near being accurate and their games have become quite glitchy and careless as of late.

Anyway with all that being said, I probably will pick the game up tonight and form my own opinions because I'm bored with my current games and anxious for some college basketball. Hopefully the wife will understand and not question why I can't wait another month and get it for Christmas.
ditto!
ok...that will be my final post....
Old 11-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #330
W* B*ck!!

Scoop 24's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
A) Unfortunately the 2 blockbusters within 20 miles of my house do not have the game yet, therefore I cannot rent it.

B) I'm curious about recruiting because I spend a majority of my time simming and recruiting. I do play games during the season, but I normally don't play all of them. I liked the gameplay of the demo but for me there are far more things that make a sports game worthy of a purchase, and dynasty mode is one of those.

C) I'm sure that money isn't an issue for some guys on here, but shelling out $65 for something that I'm unsure about isn't something I like to do, especially considering that you only get about 2/3 of that back if you try to sell it after you buy it. By no means am I poor or anything like that, but I try to spend my money wisely especially when Christmas is a month away and I have a family that would enjoy some nice gifts from Santa. LOL

D) There are several guys on here whose opinion I trust and value so asking questions about certain aspects of a game when deciding to buy it isn't any different than researching a product and reading customer reviews on any other website, which most good consumers do.

E) I know that you are strictly "EA Basketball" all the way and that's fine. We all are entitled to our opinions and I'm sure the game is decent from the impressions I've seen, but unsure if it has enough good qualities and features to warrant a purchase from me. I've been burned too many times in the past by this company just to run out and throw away money on a college b-ball game just because it's the only one available this season and they advertise "if it's in the game, it's in the game." I'm sure we all can attest that their motto is nowhere near being accurate and their games have become quite glitchy and careless as of late.

Anyway with all that being said, I probably will pick the game up tonight and form my own opinions because I'm bored with my current games and anxious for some college basketball. Hopefully the wife will understand and not question why I can't wait another month and get it for Christmas.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...rs-thread.html

does that seem like a "EA Basketball" all the way kinda person
MLB: New York Yankees

Last edited by Scoop 24; 11-21-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #331
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop 24
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...rs-thread.html

does that seem like a "EA Basketball" all the way kinda person
My mistake. I remember him talking about March Madness a lot last year and defending the hell out of this game when the doubters started talking about it. I had never seen the link above. I retract my "EA Basketball" comment then. LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #332
MVP

sportdan30's Arena

OVR: 13

I think those looking for a complete game (dynasty, recruiting, etc.) will be disappointed. Now, if you're looking to play a season and can look past some of bogus issues (rankings, etc.) then I think you'll find yourself enjoying this game. The game play is fun!

With all that said, I too was on the fence. However, I've really given up FPS and other action type games for the most part. Sports games are the only tried and true games that I'm buying, with the exception of a game here, a game there. I'm looking at what's out right now, and I don't have any desire for another game at this point. The next game I buy will be The Show '09. Therefore, I took the chance and bought this game. I have been very pleasantly surprised thus far.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #333
Rookie

scdb12's Arena

OVR: 5
as far as rankings and Tourny brackets go......what game doesnt have it messed up, nothing will be perfect it is just a videogame. CH2k8 was a great game but at the same time legacy was flawed to with messed up schedules (playing 3-4 games a week, playing a team back to back) and the tourny brackets was messed up too (games against conf foes in the tourney. Just go and buy the game if you are a College Basketball fan it will be worth it. It has all the essentials Pre-season tournys, recruiting challenges, conf tournys, Post NIT, and TOurney, plus has the MCdonald's all-american game. This is a solid title.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #334
MVP

Hurricain's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
I like the game for the most part. It definitely feels different from previous games. However, the sim engine is pretty bad. I simmed 2 seasons to get a feel for the sim engine:

Highest team points per game: 79-81
Highest individual points per game: 19-21
Highest individual assists per game: 5.5-6.5
Highest individual rebounds per game: 9.5-10
Highest individual steals per game: 1.7-1.9
Highest individual blocks per game: 2.6-3.0

Those are pretty weak numbers in my eyes. The problem for the individual numbers is superstars aren't getting enough minutes. Stephen Curry was only averaging 27 minutes per game. Same for the other star players. I don't recall seeing one player average more than 30 minutes per game.

Bummer.

Oh, and the Top 25 polls are pretty bad too. I saw St. Mary's at #2 with a 16-4 record at one point. WTF. Every team had at least 6 losses too by the end of the regular season.
This is why I'm going to pass this year. Hopefully they put some work in Dynasty mode next year, sounds like the gameplay is pretty good.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #335
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
Click the "crash the off. boards" option before the game starts and you'll get plenty.
Where is that? Is that one of the tempo things you are supposed to pick?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #336
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandon
Where is that? Is that one of the tempo things you are supposed to pick?

Thanks
its not available in the "balance" tempo.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »