Home

NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3

This is a discussion on NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #449
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here (Xbox 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokez4DAyz
2k had team tendencies, so the bucks double team wouldnt work as effective as a Miami double team, you have to raise your defensive pressure, and double teams in 2k really work. Please don't give LIVE props for having broken code. It feels rushed. And clunky
Double teams in 2k are horrible. Broken double teams has nothing to do with team tendencies. If you are the PG in 2k and go to help on the PF or C, the extra defender will have no effect or the PG will switch with the PF/C and you'll now have two mismatches. How is the double team code in Live broken?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #450
SXL
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas676
The 2 button is annoying at times, but imo think it works better the the 1 button just think how many times in 2k have you been under the rim and instead of just doing a lay up or dunk ur player shots the balland misses. You can always change it to one button so I don't no why people are complaing.
Didnt know you can change it to one button. Thanx for the info!

NOT FEELIN ME/ FINE/ COST YOU NOTHIN/ PAY ME NO MIND.

JAY Z
Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #451
SXL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
Anybody mention how incredible it is to play defense in this game? I really like the automatic lockdown but even better is the automatic double teams and help defense. Unlike in 2k where it was near impossible to double team and the double teams were stiff, in the Live demo, I can just go near Garnett with Fisher and it goes into an automatic double team animation.
Good point, thats another thing i like.

JAY Z
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #452
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokez4DAyz
2k had team tendencies, so the bucks double team wouldnt work as effective as a Miami double team, you have to raise your defensive pressure, and double teams in 2k really work. Please don't give LIVE props for having broken code. It feels rushed. And clunky
Effective double-teaming means absolutely NOTHING if the floor spacing sucks.

Think about that for a minute...
Old 09-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #453
Rookie

For you 2kers, coming from a 2k player here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
The new Pick-and-Roll feature is awesome. It might be too easy to pull off.

The blocking and stealing animations look good but the defensive players are more often than not slow off of their feet when the button is pressed.

Shooting is spot on. I love the fading animations you can fluidly fade in almost any direction. Unlike in 2K8 where your player kind of stops sets up and then fades.
The new lay-ups/dunks look more fluid than last year's. No more ******** weird bending knees and floating, referring to Live 08.

The presentation is crazy good. I like the player specific celebrations. The the player models IMO are amazing. They have animated faces after a foul or out of bounds call. My favorite animation is when you knock over someone in the practice gym and when players get up they jaw off and swing their arms.

Cons:
The controls are sticky and are less intuitive than 2k8 IMO. For 2k8 you have the benefit of using ball handling moves on the left directional stick while still being able to control where you want to go. While in Live 09 it's separated onto the sticks.

Passing is messed up. You can never get it to the right person unless you use direct passing which is an extra button press.

Game seems to slow down because of spacing problems. Offense is slower and sometimes I end up doing stuff I don't mean to do. Like when trying to back away from the basket to reset and the defensive player is playing me close I end up bumping with the defender and get sucked into the driving animation.

Defense is difficult sometimes. The animations for trying to pick off a pass or blocking a shot are too slow. Compared to 2K this would be the opposite. In 2K it was too easy to pick off a pass but that's the thing... If a defender can predict the pass they should definitely pick it off or deflect it(if that makes any sense). But the animations have improved over Live 08.

Quickstrike is cool and all but it's too general. All players have the same set of moves and there is no variety in speed between players.

Overall Live 09 is too slow. It tends to slow down enough to see all of the flaws. I hope this is changed before it is released.

Overall I would have a hard decision in choosing between NBA Live 09 and NBA 2K8. Even though I'm a gameplay guy I can see that the presentation is just so much better in Live 09 that it will make me think twice. We'll see what happens when the 2K9 demo comes out.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #454
SXL
Rookie

The more i play it the more i like it. Im looking forward to this more than 2k right now. (Until the 2k demo comes out lol)

JAY Z
Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #455
Pro

kwas676's Arena

OVR: 9
I think nba 2k9 is gonna be equally impresive as well, its good to have 2 solid games this yr, I can't wait 2 see wht both offer in 2010 I personally feel is gonna be a big year for basketball games, maybe seca will join as well if there not tired of coming in 3 every year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #456
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
I love how the coaches react on a foul against their team. Anyone else notice this?
Yes i notice that but there needs to be MUCH MUCH More then that in any sports game..im over at madden forums trying to get the dev's to hear me on this. Its so vital to put huge amounts of atmsophere into a sports game..sports games THRIVE on this sort of thing. Think about it when your at home with family and friends watching a NFL or NBA game.. when stuff like that happens in the real game your watching.. it pumps you up just seeing on tv right? Or how when players celebrate after big plays,etc ... along with the pregame stuff, half time stuff, and post time stuff... sports games NEED atmosphere, period and a little dont cut it..they need ALOT OF IT.

Same with the NBA Playoffs in LIVE... madden has this same issue that its Playoff games feel no diffrent then its preseason games...sorry to say this an dim sure you all know what im saying anyways but LIVE hasnt did much on this neither....really, there hasnt been any videogame but NFL2k5 that even tried enhancing the atmosphere for its playoffs and championship games.. this NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED... us gamers what to be rewarded with something when we make it into the playoffs and superbowl, championship games,etc

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »