Home

NHL 09 Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 09 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
People really think that the AI in NHL 08 doesn't cheat on higher levels? Puck magnet anyone? The lack of defensive controls are only part of the problem. You knock the puck away and it magically hits a CPU player perfectly in stride like 90% of the time. You just have to keep trying over and over and chasing until you get it.

I don't think there is catch-up logic though, I just think that defense is too hard. The CPU can score anytime, and they press hard when down. You can't just sit back and let them come at you or you get killed, so you go into their zone and play puck control to win.

I really hope they can make this a little more fair in 09. 1 on 1 battles are crucial in hockey.

BTW, all sports games have cheating AI.
Funny I must have a different copy of the game than you do, I win a good 85-95% of the one on one battles without too much problem. I also don't chase in the zone. the AI can't score from the boards, protect the slot, be patient force the ai to take bad shots its really not so hard.

I actually LOL'ed at the "BTW, all sports games have cheating AI" though, thanks for the laugh.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #74
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahbaby123
My Question: I know that we can play dump and chase this year, but will the AI force us too? I mean, what is the point of playing dump and chase if you can just skate into the zone untouched?
Good question. I would like to think that at the higher difficulty levels you would be forced to. Well.. depending on the defense you're playing against. Some lines on certain teams will give you the zone depending on the circumstance. But hopefully the AI will be forcing up to dump and chase and dig the puck out of the boards at a realistic level.

Btw, if you guys want to argue about catch up logic then why don't you start your own thread or bring back one of the dozen or so threads that already have pages upon pages of this argument. Maybe it's just me but it's getting kind of old. It's like you guys are arguing about politics. Certain people here believe that the game has catch up logic while others don't. I haven't seen to many people change their minds.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #75
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
BTW, all sports games have cheating AI.
Okay...you're right to some extent, all sports games, at higher difficulty levels, will be programmed to grant the CPU opponent advantages in certain AI aspects or gameplay mechanics. But you know what it's called when CPU and human are on equal footing in this regard? Rookie level. It's going to be several years before AI can be programmed that will consistently outsmart a human opponent. Thus these advantages need to be granted.

IMO, the best games are the ones that give advantages to the CPU in areas that human opponents traditionally exploit. Madden 2005 is a perfect example of this...football glitchers almost always exploit on offense (this has become less true in recent years, what with nano-blitzing and such); Madden 05 had insane advantages for the CPU on D, albeit there were some odd areas you could still take advantage of.

Although the puck retention by the CPU in NHL 08 might get frustrating...this is the first NHL game I've ever played where I haven't completely dominated in the 'time on attack' column. So, hey, I'm not complaining.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2008, 04:07 AM   #76
Pro

Like the additions, except more skillstick stuff, the skillstick in 08 is overpowerfull. Funny to see they add things that have been in 2k for years....
Old 06-24-2008, 04:37 AM   #77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
Like the additions, except more skillstick stuff, the skillstick in 08 is overpowerfull. Funny to see they add things that have been in 2k for years....
Eh I don't find it over powerful, not even sure what you mean by that. Also keep in mind they built the game from the ground up for next gen while 2k ported from last gen(stiff animations and all), which is why it up til 09 was missing some things 2k has had for a bit. In all honesty aside from floppy goalies and board pinning there really wasn't much difference between 2k8 and 08 imo features wise.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #78
Pro

EA has never had all the features 2k had, next gen or old gen. Seperate line changes now? Goalie interference? Old! Oh well, good to see EA finally add it. But alas, as a old 2k guy, most things have been in the competetions game for years. NHL08 was a good game, but the momentum shifts needs to be taken away or fixed, the skillstick needs to be in relation to the skills of the players on ice, Checking shouldn´t be homing, goalies playing the puck should be less accurate, goalies need more dynamic movement, less money goals please, post hits! Still to many, auto line change needs to be smarter, interference calls needs to be better.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
EA has never had all the features 2k had, next gen or old gen. Seperate line changes now? Goalie interference? Old! Oh well, good to see EA finally add it. But alas, as a old 2k guy, most things have been in the competetions game for years. NHL08 was a good game, but the momentum shifts needs to be taken away or fixed, the skillstick needs to be in relation to the skills of the players on ice, Checking shouldn´t be homing, goalies playing the puck should be less accurate, goalies need more dynamic movement, less money goals please, post hits! Still to many, auto line change needs to be smarter, interference calls needs to be better.
Yeah I did forget about the seperate Dmen changes, thats a good point on that one. The rest of your post though kinda comes off as whiny and nitpicky. Hockey is a game of momentum, if you can't handle the ai ramping it up when down thats not a fault of the game. I really wonder if some of you guys would just perfer an ai much like 2k's that doesn't have any inteligence what so ever because its aparent that when a few of you guys get beat or have the ai come back on you which does happen in real life *gasp!* y'all get all pissy and the "AI cheats" chants come out. Yet none of you mention the artificial speed boost that the AI gets in 2k's game on any level above pro which is so unrealistic its not even funny.

Goalies are getting 50-100 animations for 09 including more desperation type of saves, the lock on checking has been addressed, new penalties are being added. Pretty much every gripe the community had with 08 seems to be remedied for 09 and yet here people are still holding this torch for NHL2k.

Name me one thing thats been implimented into 2k hockey since going to next gen that's been asked for by the community the way EA has the last couple cycles? Cinemotion? Mini games? Sure the goalies are finally improved and that only took 4 years of begging Kush/Bish.

Don't get me wrong 2k3 and 2k5 were both great games and I'm excited to see what VC does from here on out, but EA has stepped up big time since NHL 07, and quite honestly they seem to actually listen to the community and get changes added quite quickly at the same time. That imo is to be commended not nit picked to death every year around this time. 08 isn't perfect, 09 won't be perfect but the team at EA seems to at least make an effort for our yearly 60 dollars. Which is far more than I can say about Kush/2k the last couple cycles.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #80
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
In all honesty aside from floppy goalies and board pinning there really wasn't much difference between 2k8 and 08 imo features wise.
Also:

-Regular season mode, including fantasy draft (why does every EA Sports game skip this?)
-Effective sliders
-Many more controls (zone dumps, etc)
-Other game modes (2 on 2 pond hockey with no rules would be a blast in 08)
-Timely roster updates

Not that 2k8 wasn't a total disaster this year.

I could actually like 08 if there were some sliders to reduce the perfect pass accuracy and slow the game down to a realistic pace. I doubt EA will allow us to customize the game like that though, for some reason EA wants you to play the game one way and only one way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »