Home

NHL 09 Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 09 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
complaing about cpu cheating is just whiner tactics. i give up less than 2 goals a game on superstar. it's not that hard. it's a friggin cpu team - after you've played for awhile, you figure out how they score goals. i was 38-3 last dynasty, simmed to the playoffs and went 16-1 to win the cup. i guess i'm glad that the cpu "cheats" i wish they cheated more. the game is too easy if you actually play smart and spend enough time playing to get at least somewhat good at the game.
Agreed 100%, I'm currently 39-15-0-12 and in 2nd place in the eastern conference just behind the Sens and my last 4 games the ai hasn't managed to score more than 2 goals per game. While I've scored 3-4. If my shot accuracy wasn't set to 1 it'd prolly be a whole lot higher goal totals on my end.

Even with the lack of defensive tools that 08 has (sooo excited for what defense will bring with 09) I don't have a hard time at all cutting down passing lanes and keeping the superstar ai to the outside and not giving them easy scoring chances. I too wish the AI would cheat more and turn on its "overdone momentum" because you know momentum in a hockey game isn't important and it never decides close games ever!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33

When you play a game you notice a clear difference between Sidney Crosby and a Georges Laraque, and that is what is most important.
That's for darn sure. LOL. 25 games into my franchise and Laraque has got 1 goal.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #67
Banned

OVR: 9

the thing is, it works both ways, but the people complaing about it only see it when it works against them. the computer plays flat out stupid in the last minute of the game. i can't count the number of times i've needed a goal and all of a sudden the computer defense plays overaggresive and parts like the red sea for a breakaway. or after a goal scored against you, you win the faceoff, pass it to your winger and the defenseman on that side stupidly steps up and lets you cut to the middle and walk in all alone to tie the game up again.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #68
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
the thing is, it works both ways, but the people complaing about it only see it when it works against them. the computer plays flat out stupid in the last minute of the game. i can't count the number of times i've needed a goal and all of a sudden the computer defense plays overaggresive and parts like the red sea for a breakaway. or after a goal scored against you, you win the faceoff, pass it to your winger and the defenseman on that side stupidly steps up and lets you cut to the middle and walk in all alone to tie the game up again.
So you're saying there is infact catch up logic...in favor of the human?

Having participated in many of these "Catch Up Logic" dicussions across multiple games and sports, I have come to the conclussion that perspective is driven by skill level....as some here have already hinted at.

The most skillful players can handle it when the CPU steps it up a notch. I am not all that skilled at video game hockey, and no offense, but I can't say it is a major life ambition of mine. I just play for fun, and I am quite content at a medium to lower levels.

But as much as I liked the game, the number of late goals by the CPU AND myself (especially the blue line floaters) did eventually become predictable and caused me to lose interest in playing.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #69
Pro

OVR: 16

My Question: I know that we can play dump and chase this year, but will the AI force us too? I mean, what is the point of playing dump and chase if you can just skate into the zone untouched?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCo-LINEBACKER-
Yes, theyre are, healthy people to, not the obese kind.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
So you're saying there is infact catch up logic...in favor of the human?
the cpu plays more aggresively at the end of the game, on offense and defense. and if you are unwilling to adjust your game then you will get caught up on. i don't see how it's unrealistic or bad.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #71
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
the cpu plays more aggresively at the end of the game, on offense and defense. and if you are unwilling to adjust your game then you will get caught up on. i don't see how it's unrealistic or bad.
I think what Cardot is trying to say is that in NHL 08, for the intermediate player there is no pick up and play kind of feel. The learning curve is too steep after pro. Since pro is too easy, the amount of energy needed to be successful in the game is far more then what many would like to invest.

Which is unfortunate cause if you have the energy to invest in it, it is a great game. The game is very skill based with not enough "team/coach/strategic" play involved on the defensive side.

However that has been the form with most hockey games. I think they should go a bit more in depth in giving us more defensive strategies and make the user team play out those strategies more and better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #72
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

People really think that the AI in NHL 08 doesn't cheat on higher levels? Puck magnet anyone? The lack of defensive controls are only part of the problem. You knock the puck away and it magically hits a CPU player perfectly in stride like 90% of the time. You just have to keep trying over and over and chasing until you get it.

I don't think there is catch-up logic though, I just think that defense is too hard. The CPU can score anytime, and they press hard when down. You can't just sit back and let them come at you or you get killed, so you go into their zone and play puck control to win.

I really hope they can make this a little more fair in 09. 1 on 1 battles are crucial in hockey.

BTW, all sports games have cheating AI.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »