Home

NHL 09 Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: NHL 09 Preview

ea sports...if it's in the game its...
Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
True enough...but one of the things I loved about NHLPA '93 is that, if you had some plug rated in the 30s or 20s (the then-expansion Lightning and Sens had several in the 10s and single-digits ) out on the ice, you were forced to play more conservatively. You knew Mike Peluso and Link Gaetz would never score, so your best bet was to just hang back with these guys, and maybe pick some fights.

With NHL 08, for all its great gameplay, I just never get that feeling. I play with the Wild alot, and I never feel that having Derek Boogaard out on the ice is a liability (which it is in real life). Heck, I've even scored some goals with him, just parking his fat *** in front of the net and feeding him a one-timer. In real life, Derek Boogaard is too ungainly to even keep up with the play and get in a position like this, much less fire off a onetime shot.
That's one area that NHL2K8 blows 08 out of the water.
Skating with a no-talent goon, compared to someone like Gaborik is night and day. It forces you to play a completely different style when lesser players are on the ice.

And I believe I did read somewhere that the PA has blocked any NHL player from being rated a certain mark.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #51
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
Interesting...so does this make it possible to play 15-20 minute periods with realistic stats?
I've been trying, and I have held the CPU to 15 shots a period a few times.

Here's what it does do: it allows people who are having trouble on Allstar, but find Pro too easy, to move up and play on Allstar. Lowering CPU aggression ratings keeps the CPU from going into berserker mode most of the time. And when it does, the lower Aggression, Speed, Agility and Deking ratings make sure the CPU doesn't completely overpower you.

You get the Allstar-level CPU defensive aggression and checking (and penalties) which is lacking on Pro, but without a lot of the CPU berserker mode gameplay and cheats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #52
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
That's one area that NHL2K8 blows 08 out of the water.
Skating with a no-talent goon, compared to someone like Gaborik is night and day. It forces you to play a completely different style when lesser players are on the ice.

And I believe I did read somewhere that the PA has blocked any NHL player from being rated a certain mark.
If that's true it's a load of crap. What, are they afraid some rookie is gonna have his feelings hurt? Who are they to tell them how low to rate the players anyway? Besides, It's all relative to the way the game is programmed. If they were to design the game to play realistically with players rated all the way from 0 to 100 they shouldn't be able to tell EA otherwise. Anyways, that's how I feel about that... lol.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #53
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
i remember there were players ranked in the 30s in nhl 92 and 93 for sega. Thats why those games were so damn good.
No disrespect but I don't want to play NHL 92 and 93. Ratings has nothing to do with the game its the game itself that has to adjusted.

If they came out with nhl 92 and 93 now it would be universaly crowned the worst game in years!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I've been trying, and I have held the CPU to 15 shots a period a few times.

Here's what it does do: it allows people who are having trouble on Allstar, but find Pro too easy, to move up and play on Allstar. Lowering CPU aggression ratings keeps the CPU from going into berserker mode most of the time. And when it does, the lower Aggression, Speed, Agility and Deking ratings make sure the CPU doesn't completely overpower you.

You get the Allstar-level CPU defensive aggression and checking (and penalties) which is lacking on Pro, but without a lot of the CPU berserker mode gameplay and cheats.
The solution is just to play on superstar to begin with but I digress.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
The solution is just to play on superstar to begin with but I digress.
Nope, CPU cheats above Pro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #56
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Nope, CPU cheats above Pro.
nah, superstar level never cheated me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »