Home

NHL 09 Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 09 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Nope, CPU cheats above Pro.
no no it doesn't, It adapts to what you do, learns, and changes its plays and strategies over the course of a game. If I can go on a 10 game win streak with sim settings on superstar, ie shot accuracy 1, shot power 2, and the cpu learing and aggression maxed etc., the ai is certainly not cheating. Littman has even said numerous times that there is zero catch up logic in 08. Some people just refuse to adapt and change their strategy when the ai learns to shut them down.

Dump it in and forecheck, play solid defense, (yes I realize its difficult but it CAN be done) and don't just skate into the zone and shoot or one timer it, work it around, make some create a plays etc and switch it up.

It also drives me crazy when people complain about the scoring in the game, I get varied goal totals for both user and cpu, my last 4 games were a 2-0 loss, a 3-1 win, a 5-2 win, and a 4-1 win. I've had games where the cpu blows me out 5-0, games where I'm down 2 goals in the 3rd and tie it to go to overtime or a shootout. I honestly believe the people who have such a hard time scoring aren't looking or making good scoring chances happen. Look for a screen to develop, crash the net after a point shot, throw an extra toe drag in your deke, all viable ways to score that work.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #58
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
no no it doesn't, It adapts to what you do, learns, and changes its plays and strategies over the course of a game. If I can go on a 10 game win streak with sim settings on superstar, ie shot accuracy 1, shot power 2, and the cpu learing and aggression maxed etc., the ai is certainly not cheating. Littman has even said numerous times that there is zero catch up logic in 08. Some people just refuse to adapt and change their strategy when the ai learns to shut them down.

Dump it in and forecheck, play solid defense, (yes I realize its difficult but it CAN be done) and don't just skate into the zone and shoot or one timer it, work it around, make some create a plays etc and switch it up.

It also drives me crazy when people complain about the scoring in the game, I get varied goal totals for both user and cpu, my last 4 games were a 2-0 loss, a 3-1 win, a 5-2 win, and a 4-1 win. I've had games where the cpu blows me out 5-0, games where I'm down 2 goals in the 3rd and tie it to go to overtime or a shootout. I honestly believe the people who have such a hard time scoring aren't looking or making good scoring chances happen. Look for a screen to develop, crash the net after a point shot, throw an extra toe drag in your deke, all viable ways to score that work.
great post realm....

gamers are a fickle bunch.....it's hard to be a sports developper these days. You make the hardest level too easy like it is in the show people complain....now nhl 08 comes out and gives us the PERFECT difficulty where you need to learn the game to succeed...people will automatically bash the game because the cpu cheats....

some people just can't accept the fact that a human made A.I can dominate them in sports games.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #59
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
great post realm....

gamers are a fickle bunch.....it's hard to be a sports developper these days. You make the hardest level too easy like it is in the show people complain....now nhl 08 comes out and gives us the PERFECT difficulty where you need to learn the game to succeed...people will automatically bash the game because the cpu cheats....

some people just can't accept the fact that a human made A.I can dominate them in sports games.
Get of the pedestal, please. My god, what flaming rubbish, LOL.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #60
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
It's not rubbish, there are some people who are at a certain skill level and can handle the supposed cheating AI. While their are others such as yourself who refuses to play better when the AI falls behind and tries to score.

When I fall behind I do the same, take more shots be more aggressive, change my strategy to be less defense and more offense. That is what the AI does. You see it when you score and take a 2 goal lead, the AI changes it's strategy to aggressive or all out attack in order to get back in the game. This is your cue to clog up the middle and play aggressive D in your zone.

Unfortunately most people just don't want to adjust.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #61
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I never got the feeling of the cpu cheating in NHL on superstar (with my frame of reference coming from EA football games). I have played countless games and just don't see any of the overpowered cpu goalies, AI cheating, etc... that I've heard others complaining of on this board. I think once you figure out how to read and react to the cpu it is pretty easy to dominate possession with most teams in the game, and once you figure out the puck possession and skating aspect of the game it becomes pretty simple to set up effective scoring plays.

I also don't find it that difficult to play defense in the game despite the controls being somewhat lacking, it's all about anticipation and making sure you don't allow the cpu to have good possession in the offensive zone. Kill the cpu's offense off the rush by backchecking and forcing the opposition into a low percentage play with good body position.

Basically I feel the same way as the other guys who made posts similar to mine.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 06-17-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
What pedestal? He's 100% correct, adapt or continue to whine about non existant ai cheating because you refuse to change your game plan to overcome the ai ramping it up, really its your choice.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #63
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I also don't find it that difficult to play defense in the game despite the controls being somewhat lacking, it's all about anticipation and making sure you don't allow the cpu to have good possession in the offensive zone. Kill the cpu's offense off the rush by backchecking and forcing the opposition into a low percentage play with good body position.
Backchecking is the key, IMO. I rarely take control of my defensemen unless it's along the boards, and I know I can rub the CPU attacker out. Although defensive controls may be lacking, it's still pretty hard for the CPU to get good penetration when you line up 4 guys across the blueline.

Biggest thing to avoid is stupidly forechecking; you have to know how and when to forecheck.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 9

complaing about cpu cheating is just whiner tactics. i give up less than 2 goals a game on superstar. it's not that hard. it's a friggin cpu team - after you've played for awhile, you figure out how they score goals. i was 38-3 last dynasty, simmed to the playoffs and went 16-1 to win the cup. i guess i'm glad that the cpu "cheats" i wish they cheated more. the game is too easy if you actually play smart and spend enough time playing to get at least somewhat good at the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »