Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #1849
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
As you become better with the pitching system you'll see more CPU hit variety.

My last game I pitched with Dan Haren and the CPU grounded into more groundballs than flyballs. Had lots of assists with Hudson and Drew.

Still gave up a few homeruns but I never felt cheated. Fielder did pull a pitch a tad bit outside but looking at the replay he got his bat head out and the pitch was middle-out instead of outside corner. It was realistic.

And Cameron golfed a low pitch but it was a changeup inside that stayed a bit up higher than ht should have been and he only hit it into the fifth or so row.

This is why I am leaning towards going back to default sliders all the way across the board...because I have had good, well pitched games, but I allowed some games were I have gotten bombed in the 1st month of my association, to make me think that I have to change things in the game..and my record was like 4-6. So now I'm just going to start again at default.

There was no reason for me to tinker with anything..I just ran into some good hitting lineups and got a little sloppy with my pitching.

One thing I have learned is that you DO have to throw some balls. I play with all aspects of VIP on..so if you are just going to lay strikes in there all game, the CPU is going to stand and rip.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #1850
Pro

SportGamer24's Arena

OVR: 8

After purchasing both The Show (ps3) and 2k8 (360) but refusing to open both I sat on the fence for days, reading reviews and impressions, watching videos and looking at the pros and cons I decided to finally open up 2k8.

After two games, I feel like I made the right decision. The variety in this game is great, Fielding is a blast, pitching is fun, and every at bat, every pitch feels different. I've primarily used BFNJ's sliders and my games have been good so far.

There's been seeing eye singles, doubles to the gaps and down the lines and deep HRs. I think if people can overlook some of the minor issues (framerate which doesn't seem too bad) they will realize that this game is the real deal. Yes, the show looks great and plays a solid game of baseball, but at it's core it feels like the same MLB game that they've put out for the last 3 years. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think 2k has some what revolutionized the gameplay and made a heck of game.

I've never enjoyed fielding in a baseball game as much as I have in 2k. Not only do you need to make sure you have the right momentum (so you don't overrun the ball) you need to set your feet or risk making a bad throw. Using the analog stick adds another dimension to throws that is so much more exciting then just hitting one button and totally relying on the CPU to execute a good or bad throw.

Now I know it's still early and the honeymoon maybe over soon but I felt like 2k was the way to go. The variety in gameplay is what sold me, and I'm thinking it's what will keep the game fresh.

If you're on the fence, give 2k a shot.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #1851
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportGamer24

If you're on the fence, give 2k a shot.
I think it comes down to what you want in a game.

If you can get by the frame rate issue (which doesn't even bother me though I do notice every now and then) and can get by another year of the same commentary and bland presentation then this is a good game of baseball.

It at least does that right.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #1852
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus GTR
Does this game have any cool cut scenes added from last year?
Seems to me that most of the cool cut scenes and batter walkups were taken out. Now most of the cut scenes involve a stupid floating camera. The really cool broadcast cam type scenes are mostly gone. It's a shame, last year had a more of a broadcast feel to it, to me the cutscenes feel arcady this year.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #1853
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
I think it comes down to what you want in a game.

If you can get by the frame rate issue (which doesn't even bother me though I do notice every now and then) and can get by another year of the same commentary and bland presentation then this is a good game of baseball.

It at least does that right.

Are you using sliders at all? It's odd, because I find my pitching has been actually worse since I started using sliders for the CPU offense, then it was on the default lol.

I was really doing fine with the default outisde of a handful of games where the brewers and phillies lineups were giving me fits.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #1854
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldu
Seems to me that most of the cool cut scenes and batter walkups were taken out. Now most of the cut scenes involve a stupid floating camera. The really cool broadcast cam type scenes are mostly gone. It's a shame, last year had a more of a broadcast feel to it, to me the cutscenes feel arcady this year.
Damn. If any game needs cut scenes, it's baseball.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #1855
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

well after about 20 exhibition games I found some sliders I liked and started my Reds franchise.

I was playing the Brewers and pitching with Belisle. I cruised through the first three innings then got lit up in the fourth. Belisle left with 3.2 IP and 6 ER, all because after I got through the first few innings, I kinda stopped focusing so much on each pitch and then got lit up, just like what happens to Belisle in real life.

For me this game is an 8.0 right now and would probably be bumped to an 8.5 if online lag is eliminated, framerate is fixed (though it rarely bothers me) and franchise issues from previous years have been worked out. It's just a lot of fun to play and is really hard for me to put down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #1856
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
well after about 20 exhibition games I found some sliders I liked and started my Reds franchise.

I was playing the Brewers and pitching with Belisle. I cruised through the first three innings then got lit up in the fourth. Belisle left with 3.2 IP and 6 ER, all because after I got through the first few innings, I kinda stopped focusing so much on each pitch and then got lit up, just like what happens to Belisle in real life.

For me this game is an 8.0 right now and would probably be bumped to an 8.5 if online lag is eliminated, framerate is fixed (though it rarely bothers me) and franchise issues from previous years have been worked out. It's just a lot of fun to play and is really hard for me to put down.

I find the brewers lineup to be a total pain the rear. Prince Fielder is a total monster.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »