Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #1449
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwnarrow3
Is anyone else having a problem with the batter's eye? Everytime I guess a pitch correctly, it doesn't show up on the screen. Anyone else having this problem?

Help?
Are you sure you have the batters eye option on?
This option is not on with default settings.
It will still show the circle but the option is off.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #1450
Rookie

coachpars's Arena

OVR: 6

Im doing a quick 20 gm season with the mets, kinda like spring training.( this way I can work on some sliders). You can choose the opponents jersey, who you want to pitch and their lineup.Before you play you can even change weather conditions.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #1451
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'm enjoying the game. Yes, I see the framerate issue but it's not a gamekiller for me. Loving the pitching and hitting and the fielding is a blast.

The first achievement I got was throwing somebody out at the plate. I was playing as the Braves and I fielded a line drive one hopper in right field with Francouer. Shane Victorino was on 2nd and as he tried to score on the single I came up gunning. McCann grabbed the ball on one hop on the first base side of the plate, spun around and got the tag on the hand as Victorino did a hook slide on the back side of home plate. I was really shocked that the ump called an out but I went back and slowed it in replay. What a beautiful, bang bang play!

As for the menus, I agree. The text is small and atrocious. I play on a 50" Toshiba projection HDTV and sitting in my recliner across the living room I can not see the pitching menus at all. Even the tips are more difficult to read. I guess they did it to squeeze out some frames, but man it is bad. I can't imagine playing on an SD unless you are sitting right at the TV. It is sad that the ticker at the bottom seems to be huge block letters that are easy to read, but the information vital to the gameplay, I have to get up and move closer to the screen just to read.

That is my only real complaint at this time. The game is a blast!

Last edited by TopDog; 03-05-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #1452
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
What wasn't called for? The real question that was implied - i.e., why is renting not an option? - or the playful way I phrased it? Either way, I'd say saying what I posted wasn't called for wasn't called for. Or are you one of those guys who needs smilies in a post in order to understand that almost nothing related to video games is "serious"?

I can take a joke....its just some guys on here that act like ***** not sayin u are one of them, but u get the point...To answer your question I dont have my card with me nor do I have a gamefly account
Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #1453
Rookie

OVR: 0

The game is playable and has it's positives but I do have to say that I my impression of this year's release is that this game is not where I hoped it would be by now. Aside from the obvious framerate issues there are small things that bother me from year to year (like the feeling that I am playing in a dark shadow during day games...why can't it look like it is sunny, bright, and clear? It always seems to be dark and dingy...I hate that). I have a 62" TV and find myself squinting and trying to move closer to the screen in order to read some menus and text that display throughout the game. When I hit that left bumper to see the line-up card I REALLY have to try my hardest see what's going on there.

My general impression of the game is that it just is not "polished." This release seems like what the beta should have been and not the finished product. I will be playing it every day and hope that some patches get released to make the playability more enjoyable. I really can't say this year is a giant step forward as far as this baseball series is concerned. Quite frankly, I can't really say that it is a step backword either. If you are on the fence...you may as well pick it up or give it a rental. I would not recommend making your final judgement on the demo for it will take you some time to appreciate some of the new controls.

I will be considering the switch to "another" baseball game for next year. Baseball is the whole reason I still have a video game console and I'm just a little disapointed on my options being the owner of just one system. I feel I have been patient and committed for the past few years but now it's time for results. I gave the developers the opportunity to keep me as a loyal customer and I just don't feel like it's where I expected it to be by now. It's not horrible...just not where I had hoped it would be. Im not trying to offend anyone here...I just think we should have a better overall baseball game by now...just my initial impression after playing 2K8.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #1454
Bat
what

Bat's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeus
The a.i. is unbelievable. I just played a game on Pro and the cpu hit every strike for a double or triple. EVERY strike. Talk about realism. If you are a casual gamer, DO NOT buy this game. You will get frustrated beyond belief. The worst part is, they hit some pitches that were way out of the strike zone.
Thats the thing that is bothering me the most. Every single pitch in the strike zone is hittable every time. This goes for both the computer and user. Even when expecting a change and you see a fastball you still hit it.. As long as the pitch is in the zone you will practically see zero strikeouts.

In real baseball there are plenty of times a batter expects a fastball and still can't hit it..this is not the case in the game since there is no real aiming to hit. It is basically just timing and the pitch speeds don't vary enough to keep someone from hitting the ball.

Right now its driving me alittle crazy.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #1455
Video Game Dev

Spear's Arena

OVR: 19

Is it just me, or is the hitters eye not working the same way as it did last year?

Whenever I move the little white circle to where I think the pitch is going to be, and I end up being right...how come it only tells me after the catcher has caught the ball?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #1456
08 Mets! One Year Older!

thornie's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat9th
Thats the thing that is bothering me the most. Every single pitch in the strike zone is hittable every time. This goes for both the computer and user. Even when expecting a change and you see a fastball you still hit it.. As long as the pitch is in the zone you will practically see zero strikeouts.

In real baseball there are plenty of times a batter expects a fastball and still can't hit it..this is not the case in the game since there is no real aiming to hit. It is basically just timing and the pitch speeds don't vary enough to keep someone from hitting the ball.

Right now its driving me alittle crazy.
Hmm. I'm not having this problem. After getting creamed in my first 2 games, I spent a good hour in that pitching tutorial until I felt good enough to pitch an actual game. First game after that, I struck out 9 in 7 innings with Oliver Perez against the Braves. On 'pro' difficulty, I have yet to goto a higher difficulty... There are plenty of times I throw a fastball on the corner at about 74% gesture and the guy swings and misses. Same with other pitches.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »