Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #1417
Rookie

Lerxt's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
I'm not saying the game is perfect (no game is), but it's almost like this game has become the Madden of baseball games and bashing it is the "in" thing to do.
I couldn't agree more. I do not have the choice of buying The Show because I don't have a PS3 and will not buy one. If I did have the choice, I am sure I would be buying The Show, as it seems to be the better overall game.

However, after reading this thread, and then playing the game for the first time last night, I had to ask myself if I was playing the same game as everyone else. I realize we all want very different things from our games, but I can't imagine anyone thinking this game is "totally unplayable", or "a complete waste of money".

Then again, I can't imagine why anyone would enjoy listening to Bon Jovi, but they do...
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #1418
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
What's your take on the framerate in the YouTube vid just posted in here?
My take on that video is that it is difficult to capture footage during an earthquake.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #1419
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by milbrewcity
My take on that video is that it is difficult to capture footage during an earthquake.

That's not entirely fair. After turning the camera on, it's pretty steady through two at-bats.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #1420
R**k**

whosgotcha's Arena

OVR: 18

(360)
Bought the game yesterday. Played around with it a little bit. My initial impression:

Graphics: Its not as detailed or crisp as MLB 2k7 but it has a smooth quality which is appealing

Gameplay: I like the new mechanics, especially pitching, fielding and throwing

Framerate: I am pleased to say, so far, the games plays very smooth
Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #1421
Rookie

OVR: 5

Ok, I thought i'd post some of my impressions. Not that any probably cares but what'r ya gonna do

I played a couple games last night and when I first loaded the game a start a match between the Cubs (me) vs. Reds I saw the slow down, low frame rate everyone was talking about. My xbox was set up to display 1080i output.

As I played the game, I didn't really notice it as much. For the actual gameplay, I was pleasently surprised. I was expecting to be let down, but the new pitch mechanic is AWESOME!

Swing stick 2.0 I don't think will be for me. Something about it just doesn't feel right. I prefer the button mashing of the classic style.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but in the menu's you can swich between three different batting setups:
Swing 2.0, Swing Stick and Classic. I'm assuming Swing stick is like last year where you can have a contact swing or power swing. I thought it was nice they included this option. But I think i'm sticking with Classic for now.

Back to the pitching, I feel this is the most innovative add to a sports video game in a LONG time. It really adds to the complexity that is baseball. I was walking guys much more than before which made getting strike outs that big of an accomplishment. So Total Control pitching gets thumbs up for me!

Graphically, I am satisfied. It seems they are as good as last year, and i'd dare to say a tad better. What makes them bad sometimes is the slowdown effect. Once that kicks in, everything gets kinda blurry. For me, this really isn't a game killer. As others have said, changing the output to display 720p and making the fielding camera Aerial pretty much took care of. I personally don't think we should have to do that but i'm fine with it. I now prefer the aerial cam now.

Final thoughts would be if you are a baseball fan and want to play a good game of baseball, I say pick this up. I am a big fan of America's Past Time so I am enjoying it. I'm hoping 2k will release a couple patches soon to take care of some of the dumb glitches i've read in the glitch thread and i'm sure they will. In the mean time, here's to hoping for a great baseball experience and the cubs winning the world series this year!! Ok, maybe just in the video game :P
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #1422
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by milbrewcity

Old 03-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #1423
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

i dont get what the controversy on this board is. One group says game has framerate issues and is unplayable, other group says it has framerate issues but its playable. why are the people who can play this game with the framerate issues so defensive against the people who say they cant play the game? just cause it doesnt bother you doesnt mean you need to sell your feelings to set people straight. i have the game, i confirm there is a framerate issue but ill continue playing and get over it.

the issue is that there is a framerate issue and thats garbage. some of us can play like that with no problems, other are upset and want to return the game,etc. good for them. even though i can get over it, it freakin sucks having the game lock up and lag every time a replay is shown etc and at the end of a game its just crazy choppiness. for those of you "offended" by people who bought this game and are upset that the framerate sucks, get over yourself. 2k didnt ask you to help out with damage control. those with the issue need to make your point and get on with your life cause the rest of us dont need you to "save us" we will respect your impressions, take that into consideration and make our decision.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #1424
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
i dont get what the controversy on this board is. One group says game has framerate issues and is unplayable, other group says it has framerate issues but its playable. why are the people who can play this game with the framerate issues so defensive against the people who say they cant play the game? just cause it doesnt bother you doesnt mean you need to sell your feelings to set people straight. i have the game, i confirm there is a framerate issue but ill continue playing and get over it.

the issue is that there is a framerate issue and thats garbage. some of us can play like that with no problems, other are upset and want to return the game,etc. good for them. even though i can get over it, it freakin sucks having the game lock up and lag every time a replay is shown etc and at the end of a game its just crazy choppiness. for those of you "offended" by people who bought this game and are upset that the framerate sucks, get over yourself. 2k didnt ask you to help out with damage control. those with the issue need to make your point and get on with your life cause the rest of us dont need you to "save us" we will respect your impressions, take that into consideration and make our decision.
Bro, when you trust someone like Brinkman,Kush, to say this game will run @ 60fps AND you dish out 60 bones for a game... you would EXPECT to get what your payin' for. this game runs NOWHERE near 60fps...not even close.
not only that...this demo was released today just so they could buy time for more sales...dirty pool man...that's all i'm sayin'

Am i still gettin' this game...yeah, but it's no wonder this 'chise is going under

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »