Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #1833
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
This is good to hear. I suck offensively and a part of me believed that it was the reason why I wasn't seeing as many balls.

The game that I walked four times I scored 6 runs on 6 hits.

Ever since then I've mustered four hits in two games with one walk. I have to believe that my lack of base hits has a lot to do with my lack of success in drawing walks.

That being said, those two games the CPU starter went 9 innings (why not? They shut me out) and they threw 98 and 95 pitches respectively. Not a bad total pitch count for a 2-hit shutout.

I'll take your word for it and I wouldn't doubt it because you are usually level headed with this sort of thing.
If your having a lot of problems hitting try lowering the pitch speed slider. It'll let you get a better read on the ball, allowing you to take more pitches for balls.

I never walk in baseball games, and Im pretty patient. I've been getting like 3 walks a game lately though.
I don't like the Yankees, I like the Red Sox, I don't like the Lakers, I like the Celtics, I hate the Canadiens and I love the Bruins. Soccer is the best sport on Earth, but most Americans are too ignorant to realize it. I am American.

This is My Music:
www.youtube.com/user/christoffascott
Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #1834
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
For some reason it seems like in the first inning of most games the CPU pounds the hell out of the strike zone. After that I see a lot of balls thrown especially if you chase pitches, they will keep throwing pitches off the plate. Also, if you want a ton of balls adjust the corner slider too, that helps.
I would think thats the case because when a pitcher is fresh.he's more accurate.The more tired he gets the less accurate he becomes.But like you said,if you chase a lot of bad balls the CPU will continue to bait you until you get more disciplined
Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #1835
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS10029
If your having a lot of problems hitting try lowering the pitch speed slider. It'll let you get a better read on the ball, allowing you to take more pitches for balls.

I never walk in baseball games, and Im pretty patient. I've been getting like 3 walks a game lately though.

My biggest issue is being too early on pitches. Swinging and missing early on a 92 mph fastball just isn't right. But that's my fault. I think with my struggles I've been trying to jump on the ball rather than wait on it.

Then when the CPU throws something off speed I'm terribly in front. When I try to overcompensate I end up being extremely late on the fastball.

It's just about seeing the pitch and reacting at the right time. The pitch speed isn't the problem for me. Just need to wait a fraction of a fraction of a second longer before hitting swing.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #1836
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
My biggest issue is being too early on pitches. Swinging and missing early on a 92 mph fastball just isn't right. But that's my fault. I think with my struggles I've been trying to jump on the ball rather than wait on it.

Then when the CPU throws something off speed I'm terribly in front. When I try to overcompensate I end up being extremely late on the fastball.

It's just about seeing the pitch and reacting at the right time. The pitch speed isn't the problem for me. Just need to wait a fraction of a fraction of a second longer before hitting swing.
It all depends on the count for me. Hitters counts, I'm sitting dead red. Pitchers counts, I'm waiting to see the ball first.

The hitting reminds me a LOT of MVP.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #1837
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
It all depends on the count for me. Hitters counts, I'm sitting dead red. Pitchers counts, I'm waiting to see the ball first.

The hitting reminds me a LOT of MVP.
Yes, it does. And thinking back on it I sucked at MVP's hitting system too.

Not sure what to think of that. I have no problem getting hits galore in zone hitting systems (never had this sort of problem with The Show or High Heat). But these timing only systems kill me.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #1838
MVP

OVR: 34

Not sure if this works for anyone else, but my offense began to improve when I sat on the 1st two pitches in the early innings. I would only swing if I got a meatball or if the location hit my batters eye (which I always keep centered)..this pays off later in the game.

Also, it is super important to go with the pitch....I try to drive anything I see that's middle of the plate and out, and I try to turn around anything coming inside.

Sometimes, you are going to react wrong and get fooled, but that's baseball
Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #1839
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Yeah,the hot/cold thing is way overdone.I turn it off.Using the hot/cold feature also nullifies custom sliders because thats how the cpu get the teams "hot" and "cold" it uses slider adjustments.I highly recommend turning this feature off
I haven't seen that option in this year's game. Do you remember where it is?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #1840
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Not sure if this works for anyone else, but my offense began to improve when I sat on the 1st two pitches in the early innings.
Actually, I take that a step further and don't swing until I have two strikes. The absolute last thing I want is for their pitcher to have an inning where he only has to throw a handful of pitches. By waiting for that second strike, you're guaranteed he'll throw at least 9, and with a few fouls balls, a few balls, and a hit or two, that number can spike to 20 and 25 pretty quick.

It can get a little boring at times, but I'll do anything to avoid getting to the 6th or 7th inning and having the starter sitting on 55 pitches or something. I want him at 90 by that point. You're not going to get that swinging at everything, that's for sure.

And like you said, the more you sit there and watch, the better your timing will be later in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »