Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #1817
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
A few examples of poor/sloppy programming in this game:

-- I fire up my first game without touching sliders. The CPU proceeds to hit 8 HR's with the first 10 batters it sends to the plate. The infamous meat pitch programming, wow. And this is supposed to be 2K's sim answer to The Bigs?

-- After a few innings of batting, I notice the CPU seems to be throwing nothing but strikes. So I decide to test things out. I fire up a game against a certain team and pitcher. The CPU pitcher starts the game off by throwing 9 pitches for strikes, and my guys go down in order.

So I adjust the sliders, lowering all three AI Throw Strike sliders to 0. I fire up another game and the CPU pitcher proceeds to throw 9 pitches for strikes, mowing my guys go down in order.

So now I go in and edit that same CPU pitcher's Strikeout, BB and individual pitch control ratings to 0. This guy should be throwing nothing but balls and wild pitches. Result: strikes out the side on 11 pitches. This is basically the game killer for me, this bit of (non)programming.

-- A little thing but so indicative of the how this game plays overall: At the end of a play - say, a 6-1 groundout - the players often just disappear. That's the transition scene into the next batter. You're watching the batter running to first. You see the ball as it comes across the diamond, and you see the firstbaseman catch it and the ump call the runner out. Then the scene freezes for 1-2 seconds while the players vanish - they're suddenly not there anymore all. You can still see their shadows on the field, but no players.

wow!!, man not good. You know, I really hate to harp on this again but I still can't believe what happend to this game. I am very honest when I say I really wanted 2K to succeed and give it some competition to the other BB game..I really mean it because I love BB games.

Is it me? am I expecting too much? I don't know, but from what I see from playing a few days now that 2K didn't care what they were going to release.

I have a feeling that there is something going on at Take2/2K. With an impending take over by EA or some other Co., there must be some uneasyness goin on. I worked in Corporate (IBM) and let me tell you, when rumors start about layoffs, outsoucing, takeovers etc, moral goes way down and people start leaving or some get fired for speaking up about the company etc...its not a good situation because people know they will lose their jobs and not perform or be productive. I went through it with the Evil Empire IBM!!!

peace
Ernesto
Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #1818
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORICAN
I have a feeling that there is something going on at Take2/2K. With an impending take over by EA or some other Co., there must be some uneasyness goin on. I worked in Corporate (IBM) and let me tell you, when rumors start about layoffs, outsoucing, takeovers etc, moral goes way down and people start leaving or some get fired for speaking up about the company etc...its not a good situation because people know they will lose their jobs and not perform or be productive.
Good call. I've thought the very same thing on a number of occasions. Without doubt this is going on on some level, judging from the horribly uneven and unfinished games 2K has been putting out for at least two years now.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #1819
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORICAN
Is it me? am I expecting too much?
I certainly expect a level of overall quality after playing games like The Show, FIFA 08 and NHL 08. What I would say is that judging from the last four baseball games 2K has produced, it is expecting too much of 2K to put out a quality baseball game. It appears they simply don't have the creative talent and/or the resources to pull it off.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #1820
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
It appears they simply don't have the creative talent and/or the resources to pull it off.
Your right, it sure looks that way baa7. Also, with all the $$$ they had to give MLB/MLBPA. It seems they will not put to much effort or $$ in their game. I'm sure the reason they got Reyes on the cover was for $$ reasons. Reyes must have cost them a lot less then the high price Jetter.

I like to see what happens in the next few days or weeks.

peace
Ernesto
Old 03-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #1821
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportGamer24
I've only played the demo, but I'm hoping there is an option not to display the pitch cursor. Is this possible in the retail version?
Yes,you can go back to last years pitching mechanic,and fielding mechanic
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #1822
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
A few examples of poor/sloppy programming in this game:

-- I fire up my first game without touching sliders. The CPU proceeds to hit 8 HR's with the first 10 batters it sends to the plate. The infamous meat pitch programming, wow. And this is supposed to be 2K's sim answer to The Bigs?
? Why are you throwing so many meatball pitches? Once you get the hang of pitching you won't see this happen. My last two games I haven't given up one meatball pitch for a homerun. The homeruns I've given up were on poorly placed pitches.

I agree that the meatball pitch is terrible. But it isn't as bad as people who obviously haven't played enough games are making it out to be. If you're giving up 8 meatball pitches to the first 10 batters then I'd have to question how much you've been playing or whether you actually understand the new pitching system.

Quote:
-- After a few innings of batting, I notice the CPU seems to be throwing nothing but strikes. So I decide to test things out. I fire up a game against a certain team and pitcher. The CPU pitcher starts the game off by throwing 9 pitches for strikes, and my guys go down in order.

So I adjust the sliders, lowering all three AI Throw Strike sliders to 0. I fire up another game and the CPU pitcher proceeds to throw 9 pitches for strikes, mowing my guys go down in order.

So now I go in and edit that same CPU pitcher's Strikeout, BB and individual pitch control ratings to 0. This guy should be throwing nothing but balls and wild pitches. Result: strikes out the side on 11 pitches. This is basically the game killer for me, this bit of (non)programming.
I can't argue with you on this one. The CPU throws too many strikes. I've been getting better at forcing them to throw balls as I've become a better hitter over time but it still isn't enough. This needs to be fixed.

I had one game where I walked four times and thought that maybe I was on to something. Then the next game I walked 1 time. It's still not enough.

Serious question. How many walks per game are you guys seeing in The Show?

Quote:
-- A little thing but so indicative of the how this game plays overall: At the end of a play - say, a 6-3 groundout - the players often just disappear. That's the transition scene into the next batter. You're watching the batter running to first. You see the ball as it comes across the diamond, and you see the first baseman catch it and the ump call the runner out. Then the scene freezes for 1-2 seconds while the players vanish - they're suddenly not there anymore all. You can still see their shadows on the field, but no players.
Stuff happens. I hardly see how this is a game killer. You're picking out the poor examples and ignoring the good. You're telling me that you've never seen a glitch in The Show? They happen in every game.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 03-10-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #1823
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

The most HR's I've given up in a game is 3. That includes from the moment I fired up the game. Practice More.

With all of the throw strike sliders at 0, if you aren't walking, you're just not good at hitting. I started out with all of them at 0, then turned them up because I was walking too much.

There is no issue with the CPU throwing stikes, the issue is with human batting.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #1824
Th* *c*m*n!

ronnyballgame's Arena

OVR: 14

Man, after all the negative feedback about this game, I finally got to play it this weekend, and got in 6 franchise games, and all I have to say, this game isn't perfect, but I love it, even with it flaws. I love the franchise mode, it is now so deep with the minors, and I like checking out the stats after every game I sim(Drabek got lit up in his season debut in AA), but just everything about it is great. I never have played the show, and probably won't since I think the PS3 is a tad overvalued, but the gameplay on the field is tough, a challange and keeps me on the edge of my seat. Like before I came to work, I was playing the Reds, I am up 5-3 in the bottom of the ninth, Lidge is pitching, men on 2nd and 3rd and Phillips is up to bat. He cracks a monster shot looking like it has GAP written all over it, and Victorino snags it. I was like, wow, I love this game, and every game has been superb and entertaining to the last pitch or swing.

2k, it isn't perfect, but it is as good as I hoped!
Florida State Seminoles

Rider Broncs- Graduated
LaSalle Explorers- Attaining Master's

Playing: FN4 UFC 2009, Tiger 10
Waiting: NCAA 2010, Madden 10, NHL 10

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »