Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #673
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Yep, freezing for me too. Did it take a really long time for the game to start up once you put in the disc?
not really, but I tried to do the rosters again and it froze again, this sux...WTH man.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #674
Rookie

OVR: 5

ok get this. I just put the game back on my sdtv after playing on HDTV and the framerate seems better. lol, weird stuff. It only happens in the field. Pitching and batting are smooth.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #675
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Ok guys here are my Impressions after playing one game. Default settings. PS3, ball trail off.

Negatives

-Gets choppy during fielding sometimes. I am running 720p Its not a game killer, just annoying.
-Pitching is hard, very hard. This isn't a bad thing, but some people may see it as a negative.
-Graphics took a hit. Its very Noticeable.

Honestly thats all I can think of for the bad.

Oh and by the way Indians fans. It has Cleveland Municipal Stadium.
Positives

-The areal fielding cam is the best fielding cam I have ever used in a baseball video game.
Unless its a very high pop up, you see the ball's whole flight.
-Batting is nice. Feels like you have just as much control as aiming and hitting a button.
-Hit variety. I don't think I saw 2 similar hits at all. And with the pitching being so hard they hit plenty.
-Throwing is amazing. Absolutly love it.
-Animations are smooth, lots of new ones. Some nice first basemen scoops too.
-Baserunning is much much better, just feels natural now.

Thats all I can think of for now. I will say they the frame rate holds this game back. Its not a game killer by any means though. If they can patch it it would make the game on par with the show.
The game is also just very fun.

I will be happy to answer questions for a bit.
Are there custom soundtracks for the PS3?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #676
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Ok guys here are my Impressions after playing one game. Default settings. PS3, ball trail off.

Negatives

-Gets choppy during fielding sometimes. I am running 720p Its not a game killer, just annoying.
-Pitching is hard, very hard. This isn't a bad thing, but some people may see it as a negative.
-Graphics took a hit. Its very Noticeable.

Honestly thats all I can think of for the bad.

Oh and by the way Indians fans. It has Cleveland Municipal Stadium.
Positives

-The areal fielding cam is the best fielding cam I have ever used in a baseball video game.
Unless its a very high pop up, you see the ball's whole flight.
-Batting is nice. Feels like you have just as much control as aiming and hitting a button.
-Hit variety. I don't think I saw 2 similar hits at all. And with the pitching being so hard they hit plenty.
-Throwing is amazing. Absolutly love it.
-Animations are smooth, lots of new ones. Some nice first basemen scoops too.
-Baserunning is much much better, just feels natural now.

Thats all I can think of for now. I will say they the frame rate holds this game back. Its not a game killer by any means though. If they can patch it it would make the game on par with the show.
The game is also just very fun.

I will be happy to answer questions for a bit.
nice!!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #677
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I don't want to jump to conclusions but we the consumer shouldn't have to figure anything out. That's why I buy consoles, so I don't have to do squat. PC gamers have always had the love/hate relationship of upgrading, tweaking, etc.
But when you buy a console it shouldn't be up to us to fix or prod to get a game working.

If this framerate issue is real and many are experiencing it then 2K should be ashamed of themselves. I can't tell you how ticked off I'm getting with their shotty programming. So many of their sports titles have bugs and issues just like this.
Do they even have a QA department?

And I'm not a fanboy of any console, company or otherwise, but for those lucky PS3 owners, why on earth would you choose any baseball game other than the Show?
I've played 07 and I've played the demo for 08. This game IS sports. Not just baseball, but pro sports. I have a hard time believing any sports game out there represents their sport better than The Show does MLB.

For 360 owners, all we can do is hope and pray that 2K gets their act together or Microsoft uses the High Heat licence to make a 1st party ball game or EA buys 2K.
Otherwise, I think it's going to be many, many years before we get a baseball game that's even in the same stratosphere as The Show.
Well, about the PS3 owners, some of us like to have more than 1 baseball game to play. I have had the full version of Show 08 since Saturday and logged many hours. It is an OUTSTANDING baseball game but it has its flaws as well. The pitching interface is simple and getting old. I find the behind the pitcher cam plain and lacking compared to 2K's.

Not to mention online is crap for The Show. Laggy and unplayable a lot of the time. This is documented on the Show boards. That doesn't affect me because the majority of my time is spent in RTTS and franchise, but those who play online more than anything else will care.

I do think The Show is the best baseball game I've ever played, but there are definitely reasons some people could want both games or choose 2K over the Show.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #678
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlerguy92
My quick impressions after one game:

1. The new pitching system is fantastic. It is rewarding and punishing at the same time, and is a great new way to pitch. It took me maybe 10 minutes to figure it out. I have been throwing balls and drawing walks yes.

2. The framerate for me playing in 720p feels silky smooth the entire time.

3. Lots of new cool catching animations and throwing animations.

4. The throwing meter in the field is really nice to use. It is very responsive and actually showcases different throw styles for specific players based upon how hard you tell him to throw it. I have thrown some right to the glove, in the frigan stands, on the grass, and all over the place. This isn't an issue, I was just messing with it.

5. The graphics for me seem perfectly fine. If anything I think I see a slight improvement.

6. The player models appear to be a bit beefier in a good way. Things looked cleaned up and there appears to have been some tweaking done to the batting camera to showcase how great the players look now.

7. The crowd is about where they were last year, maybe a bit louder. In the background though you can see (at fenway anyway) Make Some Noise flashing on the jumbotron and the fans reacting to it. Just a cool little thing.

8. There have been numerous foul balls and they all look great.

That's about it so far, if any of you guys have specific gameplay related questions for me I will be happy to answer them.
You must have the magic copy? Maybe the runt of the litter? lol
Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #679
Pro

OVR: 11

CAN U PLAY OTHER TEAM GAME IN FRANCHISE MODE OR JUST UR OWN TEAM U PICKED ?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #680
MVP

OVR: 10

I guess so.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »