Home

NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

This is a discussion on NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-31-2020, 09:24 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Right, but that isn't the narrative people run with (on OS, YouTube, Reddit, etc.) so why even mention it?

That was my biggest knock on the video, TBH. No, don't bring back something I (meaning my personal attachment only) loved cause it'll never be how it was. The current generation doesn't deserve a similar experience if it'll hurt my fond memories & nostalgia.

Kind of a narrow minded viewpoint, IMO. Especially, when a lot of the "over reaching" microtransactions can be ignored if you stick to the sim NBA 2K experience.

Still a solid video other than his not wanting the series to return.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation
Solid post. Agreed. 2k gets a ton of flack for their VC, but people take it a little overboard. If you are an offline sports gamer then there is nother other sports game that isn't a text sim on PC that has a deeper franchise mode. 2k's MyLeague and MyGM are deeper than Madden, Fifa, The Show combined.

Yet, when you mention how great 2k's offline modes are, people always point out 2k being evil and greedy because of the VC system even though that has zero to do with the modes. Then they also point out how much progress on the modes has slowed down in recent years without realizing the mode has so much depth right now that there isn't much that can be added to it. They could take the next 5 years off from adding anything to MyLeague and it would still be leaps and bounds better than any other franchise mode out there.

I don't play online, so I don't know how bad the VC stuff is there. I've heard some people say you can achieve anything you want without spending a dime or having to slave away for hundreds of hours. Then I've heard people act like 2k is the devil and that you must pay $100 just to do anything. I'd assume the truth is somewhere in the middle and that you can achieve anything you want, but the progress is so slow that you're encouraged to spend a little money here and there.

Either way, his point was silly. I'd take 2k back in a heartbeat even if it came in the same shape as their basketball game. To have an offline experience as deep as 2k's inside of an NFL game would be nice. The attention given to the offline modes, the presentation, etc. would be a welcome change compared to where we stand with EA and Madden.

― Plato
Old 11-06-2020, 10:04 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2
The developers (Visual Concepts) of early Madden and NCAA (Bill Walsh CF) games also developed early versions of NFL 2K, NBA 2K, MLB 2K and College Hoops.

Last edited by testorz; 11-06-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #19
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

I bought ESPN NFL Football with Warren Sapp on the cover over the weekend and something strange is happening. I can only get audio but no video of the game. It's the only XBox game that does that for me. Anybody else had that issue??
Old 11-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #20
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
I bought ESPN NFL Football with Warren Sapp on the cover over the weekend and something strange is happening. I can only get audio but no video of the game. It's the only XBox game that does that for me. Anybody else had that issue??
I'm not sure specifically, but maybe it's trying to engage 720p/1080i/1080p and it can only display 480p?

What kind of cables are you using? Do you have ESPN NFL 2K5 to see if it does something similar?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 11-09-2020, 04:38 PM   #21
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm not sure specifically, but maybe it's trying to engage 720p/1080i/1080p and it can only display 480p?

What kind of cables are you using? Do you have ESPN NFL 2K5 to see if it does something similar?

I use an HDMI cable. I have an HDMI adapter for my OG XBOX. I have 2k5 and it works fine. I also have ESPN College Hoops with TJ Ford on the cover and it also works just fine. 2k4 is the only game that does this. Odd...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #22
Just started!

OVR: 0

i'm a fan of nfl2k,2k1,2k2 for the sega dreamcast.
currently working on a roster mod for the dc version.
join dreamcast talk and reply to the nfl2k series roster file thread.

thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »