Home

NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

This is a discussion on NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

I did a comparison video of the games pre game and weekly warp up progression through the years in NFL 2K series.

https://youtu.be/Ag0545Xh7ww

https://youtu.be/75I79Tyd8xQ
Old 07-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #10
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: NFL 2K Retrospective: Remembering the Other NFL 2K Games, Courtesy of Nikolai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASZEMPLE
I did a comparison video of the games pre game and weekly warp up progression through the years in NFL 2K series.

https://youtu.be/Ag0545Xh7ww

https://youtu.be/75I79Tyd8xQ
I got so many nostalgic chills watching those videos, especially the very first few seconds of that top link. Seeing the SEGA Sports stuff again reminds me of my childhood and the Christmas when I first got that game on PS2. Video gaming will never feel the same as it did back when for me.

As for NFL 2K3, great as it was, there were a few things that 2K4 introduced which got me to look past it:

- O-line pocket protection
- Gang tackling
- Improved from 16-directional movement (and momentum in running)
- New playcalling system
- New charge-up visual

Plus, include The Crib, First Person Football, and full ESPN integration, I was easily able to look in the future. It was so cool the first time I was able to play that demo from the Official Xbox & PlayStation Magazines, anyone remember that? And the E3 footage showing crowd shots was just next-level at the time.

Then ESPN NFL 2K5 throws down the $20 sales price, and just forget about it. They were doing revolutionary things, and everything was lost when EA Sports nabbed exclusive rights to the NFL, NFLPA, and ESPN. **** them.

As for the YouTube video we were provided, I thought it was just okay. I appreciate that it acknowledged the game before it and really showcased what it did on the Dreamcast, but a lot of what the video did was say: "It took everything and made it better." I know he did more specifics than that, but some of it was a little too much of a love-fest. No, NFL 2K3 never once would be mistaken for a real-life broadcast. Madden titles today would have a shot when not in motion, but that's it. Regardless, he made a good point that it almost seems like ESPN NFL 2K5 is the best NFL game we're going to get from 2K ever.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 07-22-2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

The thing I loved most about that time...was the fact that they were all different...Madden, 2k, heck even Gameday were all different and you weren't going to mistake one for the other. 2k's presentation was fresh and new, while Madden's had ole reliable Madden and Summerall just like you would see on the NFL Sunday NFC broadcast.

I can admit that I wasn't a fan of the movements of 2k football at first. I was so used to the way Madden and NCAA played that I thought the mechanics of 2k were wack. But, it definitely grew on me no doubt. As for the consoles, the Dreamcast ranks in my top 3 along with the 360 and Nintendo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
The thing I loved most about that time...was the fact that they were all different...Madden, 2k, heck even Gameday were all different and you weren't going to mistake one for the other. 2k's presentation was fresh and new, while Madden's had ole reliable Madden and Summerall just like you would see on the NFL Sunday NFC broadcast.

I can admit that I wasn't a fan of the movements of 2k football at first. I was so used to the way Madden and NCAA played that I thought the mechanics of 2k were wack. But, it definitely grew on me no doubt. As for the consoles, the Dreamcast ranks in my top 3 along with the 360 and Nintendo.
Man I loved the movement in 2k. Had weight to it, had to stop and change directions, couldn’t turn on a dime.

It seemed like all my friends played 2k single player and madden head to head bc it was so much easier to make “wow” plays covering the whole field with one defender
Old 07-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
Just started!

Just love this NFL and it's really amazing and just saw a video on newshunt360 of this NFL and find this link there.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

My dad and I used to play 2k through 2k5 every year. I have plenty of nostalgia with the series. Not only did I prefer the gameplay of 2k to any other football game, but the memories of playing as Washington in each edition of the game and going multiple years into franchise mode make the series matter that much more to me.

Watching these old clips of the games brings on plenty of nostalgia. We would still get Madden, not every year, and we'd play it here and there, but 2k was our game and we played it so much that it is amazing the discs still work.

It makes me both happy and sad to revisit these games either through playing them myself, or watching videos. Madden is not a trash game by any means, but I don't get the same satisfaction playing it that 2k gave me an still gives me to this day. I've always been a sucker for authenticity and that is what 2k football provided.

― Plato
Old 07-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #15
MVP

zello144's Arena

Nice Video but I disagree with him saying that he doesn't want NFL 2k back. Yes Microtransactions and all will probably be featured heavily but 2k does give the offline folks a very in depth myleague that makes the Madden Franchise guys wish they had something like that. If a sim NFL 2k returned I'm sure that it would be no different a lot of the former devs of NFL 2k still work at Visual Concepts too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2020, 01:34 AM   #16
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
Nice Video but I disagree with him saying that he doesn't want NFL 2k back. Yes Microtransactions and all will probably be featured heavily but 2k does give the offline folks a very in depth myleague that makes the Madden Franchise guys wish they had something like that. If a sim NFL 2k returned I'm sure that it would be no different a lot of the former devs of NFL 2k still work at Visual Concepts too.
Right, but that isn't the narrative people run with (on OS, YouTube, Reddit, etc.) so why even mention it?

That was my biggest knock on the video, TBH. No, don't bring back something I (meaning my personal attachment only) loved cause it'll never be how it was. The current generation doesn't deserve a similar experience if it'll hurt my fond memories & nostalgia.

Kind of a narrow minded viewpoint, IMO. Especially, when a lot of the "over reaching" microtransactions can be ignored if you stick to the sim NBA 2K experience.

Still a solid video other than his not wanting the series to return.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »