Home

NBA2k23 will be last gen version

This is a discussion on NBA2k23 will be last gen version within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2022, 06:00 AM   #1
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
NBA2k23 will be last gen version

Sorry my PC bros...

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comme...n_version_and/

sigh....I guess all we can do is just wait till both 2k and EA stop making games for last gen.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA2k23 will be last gen version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Sorry my PC bros...

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comme...n_version_and/

sigh....I guess all we can do is just wait till both 2k and EA stop making games for last gen.....

Disappointing if true. IGN may just be guessing but we'll know more when preorders start.

If it's true, I don't see any reason to move off 2K20 -- got all my mods and stuff set up there, I'm comfortable with what that game is.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #3
Just some dude...

BobbyColtrane's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Disappointing if true. IGN may just be guessing but we'll know more when preorders start.

If it's true, I don't see any reason to move off 2K20 -- got all my mods and stuff set up there, I'm comfortable with what that game is.
Out of curiosity- what mods do you use?
Old 07-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

No way I'm paying for the PC version this year. Last year was such a repetitive dud and the gameplay was somehow worse.

I may just redownload NBA 2k20 or just go without mods and but the next gen version.
Old 07-07-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyColtrane
Out of curiosity- what mods do you use?

Which mods do I use? Oh goodness! That depends on which MyLeague file I'm running at the time but the basic mods go as follows:

1. ThunderShaq's incredible rosters/draft class pack, located here: the basis for any MyLeague, IMO, and just incredible work by him and the various other members of the community who contribute (it's really a work of modern art).

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopi...f=258&t=107928

2. sticky-fingers scoreboards for NBC era NBA -- I then jump around to the other scoreboard makers (bongo88 for example). This thread here has a great listing of other threads (cyberfaces, rosters, scoreboards, graphics, etc) to get you started.

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopi...18a5b1d0eaab23

3. looyo's various tools -- from his player editor/hook (required for mods really) to improve the game; easy to change tendencies, assign/remove injuries, get accessories right, or modify draft classes. Also his music converter, which I used to import in my favorite tracks from NBA 2k11-18, which helps me stay engaged with the game (lots of fond memories from each of those older 2K Games)

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopi...f=258&t=108024

4. Jersey mods from ... everyone I can find. Any jersey/court mod I like I download and the great thing is most jerseys from as far back as 2K18 up till 2K22 work just fine, so you can go back and grab cool concepts/retro throwbacks and use them in modern day or you can grab some new 2022 duds and use them in the past.

Pinoy21, kobedurant, and Stove (back when he posted stuff, he's not anymore as far as I'm aware and his old links may no longer be in service) are probably the three I use the most, but virtually anyone's jerseys I like I grab.

Courts from 2K20-2k22 also are compatible with 2K20 for the most part.

That's pretty much the bulk of my mods, which takes up 73 gigs on one of my many harddrives (I don't use all 73 at once obviously, there are still many variations of MyLeagues I want to try and write about). I can reliably revisit any year from 1990 forward with rosters, and if I want I can use any draft class from way back (admittedly if it's just a pre-loaded, on disc 2K one, the older the class the more people will be missing but I digress).

I haven't been impressed with anything 2K has done in 21 and 22, and though the Jordan challenge being back in 2k23 is nice, I'm definitely not going to buy it anytime soon unless the modding community takes to it like they've done to 2K20.

PC doesn't seem to be a priority for 2K at this point, and they say as much in their FAQ about 2K23:

Quote:
Q: Are there any plans to bring the next generation of NBA 2K titles to PC and Nintendo Switch in the future?

A: This is something the team is passionate about and will continue to investigate what is possible for the franchise in the future. For now, the focus was on assuring NBA 2K23 was optimized for the new consoles (PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S), while also making sure the experience remains fresh and innovative for players on other platforms.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #6
Rookie

m29a's Arena

After seeing Madden 23 still not move over, I was still hopeful on a 50/50 chance for this, but I guess I shouldn't be wildly surprised.

They're playing it too safe probably because they think the many average PC players might have a tough time with running the new version, especially if they lack a solid-state drive storage (and a high speed NVMe one at that, we don't completely know if the standard SATA ones would be good enough).

That doesn't cut it for me though because it isn't like the Xbox Series S is a powerhouse. It's simply playing the new version at 1080p (instead of 4K with the PS5/XB Series X). That is what most PC players would do. Steam Hardware Survey is showing nearly 70% still using 1080p. Also, solid-state drive pricing has gone down considerably. Then if the concern is just general performance, many new titles in the past couple years have been using upscaling like NVIDIA DLSS and AMD FSR to aid in performance while still maintaining solid visual quality.

Of course, it could also be that PC is not a priority. OK. The one thing that makes me curious is why they went with a quicker transition last time around. Why was 2K15 the new version at the time just a year after PS4/XB1 consoles released then? Wasn't there plenty of people left in the dust and had to either upgrade their PC or not play in that case too?

Oh well. It is what it is. Maybe next year.

Last edited by m29a; 07-07-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Which mods do I use? Oh goodness! That depends on which MyLeague file I'm running at the time but the basic mods go as follows:

1. ThunderShaq's incredible rosters/draft class pack, located here: the basis for any MyLeague, IMO, and just incredible work by him and the various other members of the community who contribute (it's really a work of modern art).

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopi...f=258&t=107928

2. sticky-fingers scoreboards for NBC era NBA -- I then jump around to the other scoreboard makers (bongo88 for example). This thread here has a great listing of other threads (cyberfaces, rosters, scoreboards, graphics, etc) to get you started.

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopi...18a5b1d0eaab23

3. looyo's various tools -- from his player editor/hook (required for mods really) to improve the game; easy to change tendencies, assign/remove injuries, get accessories right, or modify draft classes. Also his music converter, which I used to import in my favorite tracks from NBA 2k11-18, which helps me stay engaged with the game (lots of fond memories from each of those older 2K Games)

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopi...f=258&t=108024

4. Jersey mods from ... everyone I can find. Any jersey/court mod I like I download and the great thing is most jerseys from as far back as 2K18 up till 2K22 work just fine, so you can go back and grab cool concepts/retro throwbacks and use them in modern day or you can grab some new 2022 duds and use them in the past.

Pinoy21, kobedurant, and Stove (back when he posted stuff, he's not anymore as far as I'm aware and his old links may no longer be in service) are probably the three I use the most, but virtually anyone's jerseys I like I grab.

Courts from 2K20-2k22 also are compatible with 2K20 for the most part.

That's pretty much the bulk of my mods, which takes up 73 gigs on one of my many harddrives (I don't use all 73 at once obviously, there are still many variations of MyLeagues I want to try and write about). I can reliably revisit any year from 1990 forward with rosters, and if I want I can use any draft class from way back (admittedly if it's just a pre-loaded, on disc 2K one, the older the class the more people will be missing but I digress).

I haven't been impressed with anything 2K has done in 21 and 22, and though the Jordan challenge being back in 2k23 is nice, I'm definitely not going to buy it anytime soon unless the modding community takes to it like they've done to 2K20.

PC doesn't seem to be a priority for 2K at this point, and they say as much in their FAQ about 2K23:
I see posts like these. Why haven't I switched over to PC gaming yet . All this sounds amazing!!

2k20 was a favorite of mine too.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:54 AM   #8
All Star

mikenoob's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

Unfortunately 2k confirmed in their FAQ... They simply just don't care about PC. Shouldn't take 2-3 years to port this over. https://nba.2k.com/2k23/faq/

Q: Are there any plans to bring the next generation of NBA 2K titles to PC and Nintendo Switch in the future?

A: This is something the team is passionate about and will continue to investigate what is possible for the franchise in the future. For now, the focus was on assuring NBA 2K23 was optimized for the new consoles (PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S), while also making sure the experience remains fresh and innovative for players on other platforms.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »