Home

Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: next gen 2k14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
This was a given anyway. MS have in the past stifled the PC to aid their latest console releases - both them and Sony probably instruct that no launch title should be on the PC in the same form.

Although given it will be native PC code now, it would probably be cheaper for 2K to port the next gen version.
It apparently has more to do with the power of the average PC. Publishers want the game to work on as many machines as possible so they'll keep releasing the weaker version on PC until the mainstream tech catches up. It's why FIFA on PC was inferior for so long.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi
It apparently has more to do with the power of the average PC. Publishers want the game to work on as many machines as possible so they'll keep releasing the weaker version on PC until the mainstream tech catches up. It's why FIFA on PC was inferior for so long.
True. It certainly is a factor. The thing is though, staying with the old engine is always going to technically mean more people can play your game - but if you stick too long, obviously you start losing customers from the other end, i.e., because it is too dated. So there is a balance to be achieved.

I don't know if the NG engine really would restrict their PC market too much, particularly considering the NG consoles are not really that powerful graphically, but it's a fine reason to stick to for the time being, at least until other bigger budget NG titles come out for PC to get a feel for how ready PC is for the new games.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
True. It certainly is a factor. The thing is though, staying with the old engine is always going to technically mean more people can play your game - but if you stick too long, obviously you start losing customers from the other end, i.e., because it is too dated. So there is a balance to be achieved.

I don't know if the NG engine really would restrict their PC market too much, particularly considering the NG consoles are not really that powerful graphically, but it's a fine reason to stick to for the time being, at least until other bigger budget NG titles come out for PC to get a feel for how ready PC is for the new games.
That's a good observation Nza, I agree that they'll probably wait until at least 2k15 to implement most of the Next Gen engine. By then we should have a few Next Gen ports by some brave developer.

I don't think I have a clear idea of how big of a jump the next gen will be graphically. I feel like I've only gotten snippets of Next Gen Content and it really hasn't blown me away.

Actually I hope that they implement some under the hood stuff; use some of that horsepower to bump up decision making capabilities, more branch points and such. Even if its just stuff like using Next Gen memory capacity and more optimization for multi-cores. that would make a nice difference. RAM is pretty cheap in comparison to a top of the line graphics card.

Lets see how it plays out, JWill really surprised me with that little hybrid tidbit.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811
Lets see how it plays out, JWill really surprised me with that little hybrid tidbit.
Yeah, I want really to buy NBA 2k again, but Im really curios which Engine is the Hybrid-Version on?
I hope its based on the NextGen-Engine, but using old Current-Gen-Stuff.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #21
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I would guess you have it the wrong way - probably the current gen engine, with perhaps next gen textures, maybe even models. An engine is a lot harder to port across platforms than stuff like models, textures etc.

Excuse the ignorance, but I'm not sure who JWill is, but I will assume he has some insider access? Even if it's just speculation, it's very plausible - I hadn't thought they may port some of the NG content over to PC, but it makes sense. It's already built for the NG consoles, so plugging some of that into the PC version is likely no harder than just plugging in the old content. The format of the textures and models etc would most likely not care what platform it is on - an over simplified example is how JPG images work on just about every device known to man.

However I would maintain that they probably won't try and make the PC version out shine the NG releases coming after it. On the other hand, it is a reasonably obscure release, and there's a good chance not many people will even notice (on the grand scale), so possible no harm done.

And one thing to keep in mind with PC is graphics are scalable - provided you have a decent way of detecting a user's optimal settings, catering for NG graphics doesn't necessarily mean the game won't run on older hardware. Gracefully degrading to current gen level graphics is a possibility.

Last edited by Nza; 08-31-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 12

JWill = JasonWilliams55 (I just abbreviated it).

I'd be surprised if we get Next Gen models, upped texture quality is a good possibility. I mean the PC version already looks better than the console versions, even before mods (minus the shading which the community has to do each year).

I don't see us getting the whole package, as far as a whole new engine; in fact I don't think I've heard if they're using a whole new "engine" for Next Gen. I still hope its some little bits of under the hood stuff but we'll see.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 0

Graphics are fine. The most important thing would be that we get a bug-free game.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeanbryant
Heard from a credible source that nba 2k14 for pc will be built around the 360 ps3 version. pc 2k players wont get the next gen version until 2k15
I think that was a pretty easy assumption to make. It's usually around $20 so having it be next gen sounds very unreasonable. If it were to be next gen it'd be at least double that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »