Home

2K13 PC impressions thread

This is a discussion on 2K13 PC impressions thread within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #113
Pro

ffpp's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: 2K13 PC impressions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
So after a number of games of My Career, I'm finding myself more and more frustrated and disappointed in this game.

1. The bumping/suction contact is in the game. It's most noticeable when you have a play ran for you that you need to run cross court around a couple of screens. First thing is you try to stay on the line to utilize the screens as much as possible, however, your defender basically stands close to the line as well and whenever you get remotely close to him, there is a contact animation that slows you almost to a stop, so you can never lose him. If you even have a little run in front of him and try to sprint, they can basically back pedal as fast as you can sprint forward which results in that same contact animation bringing you to a halt. Now before you start telling me to use the off ball maneuvers (which I do and they don't work very well), I signed up for a basketball game, not Mortal Kombat. I'd rather not have to press Left, Right, Half circle down, press B and hold X just to make a jump shot. This game is becoming less like a basketball game and more like Dragon's Lair. Press LT, then when the animation is almost played out, press B then hold Right. The game is just not fun if I can't move around. I really think 2K overlooks this all the time now because nobody is playing with Player-lock and My Career. The testing for those modes is horrible and needs improvement.

2. The AI is terrible. My PG teammates (different teams, different players) would rather drive in and be contested by three players on their layup than kick it out to me for a 20ft jump shot even when I'm shooting 80% from the floor. It's like the game is programmed to force a player to shoot the ball if they're within 12ft of the rim. Where is the drive and kick gameplay? That's my favorite! I hate losing a game because they're just too stupid to feed the hot hand. Why don't the players take advantage of mismatches either? A PG being guarded by a center means two things: One, the PG probably has a speed advantage and can get to the hoop. Two, there is probably a smaller defender on my center, so why not post him up? Still can't program that in right, 2K?

3. Same My Career bugs as older versions of 2K. Hello, 2K? Do you even try this game out before you release it? What's up with the play vision issues? What's with my 6'3" PG being subbed in at PF? Is it because I got 8 rebounds that one game? It still shouldn't matter. That's dumb.

4. I don't really care how pretty it is, if I press down on my gamepad, I expect my player to move down on the screen, not turn around, move a little left in a circle then start running backwards down the screen. If I wanted to watch a pretty game of basketball, I'd order NBA League Pass. I want to play a basketball video game, so why are we sacrificing control for appearance? It's not worth it. It hasn't been worth it for the past 4 years. I feel like my player has a ball and chain attached to each angle and I have to fight the controls just to get him to do what I want more than I can even focus on what's happening in the game.

5. Ghosts in the machine are still here. Despite turning off defense assist and turning the contest shot to manual, my player will still contest shots if the game thinks it will look pretty. Thanks for that foul, 2K!! It was so worth it to see the animation!! Not really though. Good grief! Again, if I wanted to watch a game of basketball, I would rather than attempt to play one.

We need total control over our players. That means responsive controls, intuitive controls. I press hard right, my player should NOT dilly dally and should turn right around and start running! If I'm not touching my controller, my player should just stand there like a deer in headlights. When I press the pass button, he should not take 3 seconds to pass the ball because it looks pretty. I just missed my assist because of that! But it was so worth it to see the animation!! Not really. If I press the jump button to leap for a rebound, he shouldn't take two gather steps and then jump 2 seconds later. I just missed the rebound. Thanks for that 2K!

It's sad. I really think 2K needs some competition so they'll put forth more effort into their next versions. Every year the new game comes out and everyone freaks out with praise,"Best sports game ever!!" Two weeks later everyone is complaining about this being broken and that needing a fix ASAP! We're all left hoping next year will be better and these flaws will be fixed, only to find out they're just hiding underneath another layer of some great announcing and animations.

I think it's time for my to retire from the game of basketball.
I also wish they would just sit down for one year and really focus 1. on the gameplay issues during a game and 2. on the existing game modes.
Since I first tried it in 2k11, I could never really enjoy MyPlayer. They introduced some nice ideas to it but the basic building blocks of the mode are barely working, i.e. a functional teammate AI, rotations and such.
Association has been left in the dust for long enough now, not only do they leave it with ridiculous player progression, they sometimes also introduce new, embarrassing bugs like last year's stats bug. I mean, it doesn't seem like a hard task to fix this in a patch, it's just some post-game stats calculation for Christ's sake.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #114
Rookie

OVR: 1

If you keep on buying their game, then why should they fix anything?

They are not your friends. They are just corporate lackies who want your money.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #115
MVP

OVR: 19

Try this roster out and see if some of the AI Gameplay things that bug you are better.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...3-rosters.html
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #116
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's kind of unfortunate but if it wasn't for that contact suction cup thing my guy would be averaging like 60 points a game so I don't mind it.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #117
Rookie

OVR: 0

has anybody good sliders for cpu vs cpu game? need real stats
Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #118
Rookie

OVR: 1

Got a question about AA? Would it be preferred to go 8x Q2(out of 3) or 4x (Q7). I'm not even sue what they mean by Quality. What about performance? Would the higher Q 4x actually be a bigger hit than 2Q 8x?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #119
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill23
Haha, yeah it really stinks that he just plugged hit buddies into the game. There is a lot of good music out there that they could have used.
And they have in the past. I discovered a lot of great music in the last few iterations of NBA 2k. This is just a terrible soundtrack that gets old after 2-3 days.

Now I have even more reason to dislike Jay Z.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #120
Pro

GOBLUE_08's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus1138
I doubt it would be just Amazon, but rather all DD. I seriously think 2K is trying to kill the PC version. I'll be amazed if this isn't the last year for it.
Sad but true, i truly dont understand why pc gamers are so hated among companies that develop sports games. The piracy slander is dated at this point (360 games and ps3 games are pirated just as often) so they really dont have an excuse other than just being uninterested in additional revenue imo . Im honestly ok with console ports, im even ok with getting shorted on a couple of extra features here and there,as long as they adjust the price accordingly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »