Home

Starting Twitch/YT Streaming Groups to Amplify Sim Community Voice

This is a discussion on Starting Twitch/YT Streaming Groups to Amplify Sim Community Voice within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Starting Twitch/YT Streaming Groups to Amplify Sim Community Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by duce

Whenever you're ready, let me know. I'm having trouble contacting some of the other names we have.

That's prolly cuz they are on 'bigger things.' I'd focus on people without net fame, but that's just me. I'll PM you.

-Smak
Old 09-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #18
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Indeed. I have play about 5 or 6 solid guys who stream.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Funny....all these years of following Rashidi, and I never knew he had a YouTube channel.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
I also always enjoy watching you play rob.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:49 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt8405
John Markisch aka.... Rashidi is back using his Youtube Channel to post LIVE roster updates to attributes, badges and some tendencies. Really informative streams....

https://www.youtube.com/c/Real2KRosters
Thanks for the plug. I just want to clear up that I have preferred to NOT go by "Rashidi" for the last few years. The only reason I maintain the handle here is largely for identification purposes (I am more than willing to change it - I think that requires an administrator).

Before I ever played NBA 2K I was into a relatively obscure game series called "Ogre Battle" (related titles are the slightly more known Tactics Ogre). Rashidi was the the primary antagonist.

https://ogrebattlesaga.fandom.com/wiki/Rashidi

He manipulated a queen into conquering a continent and became advisor to her Empire. Romantically seduced an Arch Angel to acquire the means to summon the devil. Pretty cool guy. It was a 100 hour game w/ 13 different endings. The game got a feature in Nintendo Power, but the distributor went bankrupt during it's US release and very few copies made it stateside.

My parents went on a national waiting list with Funcoland (they later became Gamestop). I got an IOU for Christmas and the strategy guide. I made an account on America Online to really just talk about this game on the Message boards. I couldn't play the game but at least I could talk about it and help people with it. I figured since I knew everything they could just call me Rashidi. (It could just as easily been Gandalf or Saruman if my parents had just bought me a book instead).

We had to wait 9 months to get the game USED for $70! The 90s and the early internet were truly a different time. So anyway, I just kept it as my handle. I was mainly talking about this game series until 2000, and didn't get into talking about basketball on the internet until NBA 2K3, when I got into player editing and such on GameFAQs.

I didn't realize until years later that "Rashidi" under a different lens would be attributed to being an Arabic or Black name. I got more involved with SimNation stuff, and that eventually progressed to doing Sim Hangouts on DaCzar's YouTube channel. Surprise! Rashidi was a skinny white boy. While I never once presented myself as a POC, I'm sure a few eyebrows were raised.

Somewhere along the way, DaCzar started calling me Greedy Rashidi, and there are still some people who call me that. Even years later in personal & professional conversations Czar would still call me Greedy, Rashidi, etc rather than John (I did tell him I preferred John; it was simply habitual).

The long and the short of it is calling a grown white man "Rashidi" is absurd. I was never comfortable with it. Nobody has ever addressed me about it, but I'm sure it HAD to have made someone else feel uncomfortable as well at some point. I want to apologize to anyone that may have been insulted or offended by it, and for not definitively talking about it sooner. It may not be a big deal to a lot of the community here, it's a big deal to someone out there.

Even though I gave an explanation of my actions, everything you just read was an attempt to minimize them. I should have changed my handle the moment I realized it was wrong, which was well before I started making public appearances. Why didn't I? It was more important to me to be identifiable to a niche market of gamers than it was to not be offensive to the general population. I was putting my own personal interests ahead of others. I'm embarrassed and ashamed it took this long to address it.

Black Lives Matter. If I went to something BLM related and introduced myself as "Rashidi" I'd get justifiably smacked up. Irrespective of whatever my intentions were. There's no way around that. I can't be an ally if the message on my jersey says hypocrite.

(As an aside, if Black Lives don't matter to you, you're not SimNation, and you never were SimNation).

This is obviously a bit out of left field, and what began as a 3am self-introspection is now a bit of a 6am ramble. It's not my intention to hijack the topic, nor is it my desire to make this bigger than what it needs to be. Simply some overdue clarification.

I'm going to bed and will contact Steve in the morning about changing the OS account handle. If it's not possible, then I will close the account and start a new one.

TLDR: Please don't call me Rashidi anymore. Thank you.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #22
MVP

Interesting to see how this thread is just starting to bear fruit....it seems like there's at least a small number of sim guys that do create content but just aren't "known", as it were.

Obviously it's not easy with the way YT algorithms,Twitch,etc. work, but that doesn't mean we can't go out and "spread the word" by following channels, liking videos,retweeting,etc.

Last edited by MrWrestling3; 09-30-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #23
a goat

duce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
If anyone of those is willing to be a part of this, just let me know the account to point to.

Also, a reminder, any sim myleagues would be great for this space
Old 09-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #24
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

If you're a MyTeam guy who wants to play Sim (they are out there lol), RCA the Great is a really good watch. Hasn't done as many tutorials this year, but has a lot of really good stuff from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWh...NOXnKTQ/videos
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »