Home

2K has become a game of "Highlights" instead of basketball - are badges to blame?

This is a discussion on 2K has become a game of "Highlights" instead of basketball - are badges to blame? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #25
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: 2K has become a game of "Highlights" instead of basketball - are badges to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
It doesn't take skill to turbo into a defender and get a hip ride animation, but we can do it and people still iso 95% of the time online so i dont see your point.

This game we have is watered down and it gets boring. You can't really play like certain players.

I wanna feel like I'm the players and not be restricted to playing the game within the game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The hip riding animation is something I can't get my head around why they added it. Especially without giving more details of how to stop. The last 3 years was such a defensive game. You have to shake your defender. You can't have guys just standing there and being able to shoot while defense is covering them. Sounds like a bad game mechanic in my opinion (and it's ok if we don't agree). Out of the box hip riding had no major strength. Patch 1 changed all that. But it's not like they gave the hip riders a game ender. The hip riding animation only works well with Superstars. And it has tons of weaknesses. The fact that a second defender can **** the whole thing up is perfect. You can also stop the step back 95% if them down. You just need to know their tendencies.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #26
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: 2K has become a game of "Highlights" instead of basketball - are badges to blame?

Community asked for the hip ride animation specifically because of all the 'pin balling' that was in 2K17...and I think it definitely should stay in the game, there just needs to be more logic built around it...

but yeah, even in the top PNO leagues its not a end all be all tactic at all...especially if your predictable with it.....

Old 12-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #27
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
The hip riding animation is something I can't get my head around why they added it. Especially without giving more details of how to stop. The last 3 years was such a defensive game. You have to shake your defender. You can't have guys just standing there and being able to shoot while defense is covering them. Sounds like a bad game mechanic in my opinion (and it's ok if we don't agree). Out of the box hip riding had no major strength. Patch 1 changed all that. But it's not like they gave the hip riders a game ender. The hip riding animation only works well with Superstars. And it has tons of weaknesses. The fact that a second defender can **** the whole thing up is perfect. You can also stop the step back 95% if them down. You just need to know their tendencies.

So how do you play with some one like LaMarcus Aldridge who's game is primarily face up? You basically end up running pick and pop or posting him up and doing turn arounds because he wont be effective like he should be.

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 12-25-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #28
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
So how do you play with some one like LaMarcus Aldridge who's game is primarily face up? You basically end up running pick and pop or posting him up and doing turn arounds because he wont be effective like he should be.

I dominate would with LaMarcus Aldridge. But I haven't played with him this season.

I was just with Chris Bosh last night. After driving by my opponent twice. He backed off. And I have him a Jimmy to the face. Next possession I did a running hook on him. And then just like that Bosh was on .

This was a few months ago. With Joel Embid..

https://youtu.be/hsoLg97oTa4

Last edited by jeebs9; 12-25-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
You know why right? We had a game that let people do exactly what your talking about. But we as a video community had to step away from that. Because it takes no skill to do what your just exampled (in the game that is). I'm old games users would just iso over and over. Doing the same few moves because they have a size advantage. Now you have to move your defender to get open. We should all want that. Because there are so many things we can't account for. Especially when you talk about general users. I'd hate to be defending someone and they just shot shoots over smaller players without doing any moves to get open. Once because your hot. Not the enough game. Especially with 2k pushing this my player thing. They couldn't have the exact thing from real life.

I just think people should have different skillsets. Some players should have the ability to shoot from a triple threat and get a good shot. Melo, LA, etc. Just a hands up contest shouldn't affect it. You should have to jump or do a certain contest that will freeze your guy in some way, so that it opens up their fake game.

Dudes jab step and if you move back and don't jump with them, they should be able to get a good shot. Not a great 100% shot, but a shot because that's 'their shot.'

Just like people can drive with angles, like Kyrie, and just go around someone's body.

You have to peel it way back to the most fundamental level and start with players having a go to move, then counter, then maybe another counter if they are really good. Open shots are open shots, but that shouldn't be your go to move. Pick and roll is good because you get two mismatches, not because you get a wide open shot with a sharpshooter or a laser pass dunk every time.

You should be able to iso someone over and over, assuming fatigue doesn't become a factor, assuming they outplay the defender, and assuming you can get a scheme where they get the kind of touches that allow them to use their 'go to move' without significant help. Then the D changes and it becomes dynamic.

2k is a very simple game. Simpler than it should be. There is a lot going on under the hood, but it's the game deciding what happens and showing different outcomes opposed to creating situations where you can foster different outcomes. 1 on 1 isos are probably the best chance for that. Doesn't mean you constantly can get them or succeed with them, but 1 on 1 interactions are where bball starts. Plays are set up to create them.

-Smak
Old 12-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #30
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:

I actually just started adopting this to my game with Lamarcus/Duncan after some guy online killed me with Carmelo Anthony.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6c7uen

I do agree with your point on emphasis on creating space but I think we've taken a full step forward there..I feel like those face ups were impossible last year. I think the game does a much better job in regards to height detection on contest in THESE cases.

(PNO at least, cant speak to MyPlayer/Pro AM)

That said, it can use even more improvement.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 12-25-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #31
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

OVR: 0

Ankle breaker ahould be on that list too.

Wysłane z mojego LG-H525n przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #32
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: 2K has become a game of "Highlights" instead of basketball - are badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I actually just started adopting this to my game with Lamarcus/Duncan after some guy online killed me with Carmelo Anthony.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6c7uen

I do agree with your point on youe emphasis on creating space but I think we've taken a full step forward there..I feel like those face ups were impossible last year. I think the game does a much better job in regards to height detection on contest in THESE cases.

(PNO at least, cant speak to MyPlayer/Pro AM)

That said, it can use even more improvement.

Nice video.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »