Home

#Simnation NBA 2k16 Teaching Videos - Ideas & Wish List

This is a discussion on #Simnation NBA 2k16 Teaching Videos - Ideas & Wish List within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
#Simnation NBA 2k16 Teaching Videos - Ideas & Wish List

So, with what we're seeing about 2k16, it looks like players who want to win are going to have to boost their basketball IQ's. Yes, it looks like what us sim heads have been hoping for!

So, let's assume it works out like that. As many have pointed out in threads, there's going to be a need for more resources to teach 2k gamers about basketball. There's also a number of very good video makers in the community.

This thread is to create a list of ideas for tutorials and basics of basketball using 2k footage to help expand #simnation.

I know we will produce stuff to share with each other as we get better at playing sim, but personally I think there's a big gap in the amount of basic content needed to bring others up to speed quicker. This thread is for all ideas, but let's try to think primarily about people who want to play better who just don't really know basketball.

Speaking for myself, the last organized basketball I played was when I was 15. I was a back of the bench lousy player on a lousy small high school team, before I transferred to a bigger HS and ran some track. I don't have deep basketball coach like knowledge, but I do my homework and I am good at explaining things and breaking things down.

I've never made game videos, but I am thinking of maybe getting a capture card and trying some things this year, seeing the success of JerzeyReign's Teach Me How thread this year. So I'm partly selfishly interested in ideas that maybe I could use. But I see this more as a community project.

Let the ideas fly and let's create a library wish list of content to create that everyone interested in helping can draw from.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

Re: #Simnation NBA 2k16 Teaching Videos - Ideas & Wish List

I'm gonna reply to my own thread with an idea/example.

A video that walks the user through a playbook. How to set one up, how to choose plays, what the play names mean, and how to begin to think about matching plays to personnel.

Separate video introductions to different offensive sets and philosophies, like flex, horns, floppy, 4 out, etc.

Some of that has been done for 2k15, but mostly for freelance offenses. Of course we need re-ups for those too as they've been expanded and updated.

There is good content out there for floppy, horns, etc. But doing it with 2k16 examples and introductions will make it easier for gamers, and easier for them to find when they search Youtube for game help.

On defense, we need videos that will break down the new PnR options and philosophies, when to use them, what defensive problem they try to solve, what kinds of personnel make them effective.

Ok that's a start. What else?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Pro

For myself, this is the year that I plan to really dive into this game (assuming the gameplay is amazing like it looks) and learn how to play sim basketball so I can challenge seed 1 in Myteam.

I'm a ****** basketball watcher but I know nothing about offensive and defensive strategy so my gameplay is very weak. If noone is wide open, I have absolutely no idea what to do.

So offensively, I'd like a video that gives a basic overview of the simplest ways for a newbie to get someone a good look. Screens, simple plays that are in every team's playbook, effective skill moves that any decent PG can use regardless of rating, etc. Basically how to get someone open if nobody is wide open and I can't drive to the net (either because they are defending the paint or I have noone who can drive on the team).

On defense, I'd like to know plays and tactics I can employ to counter typical strategies I would encounter online. What formation/play do I call to stop someone who has a bunch of hot 3pt shooters and is trying to make it rain all game? Someone who have a Blake Griffin on their team and wants to drive all game? How to change my lineup and tactics to counter mismatches.

Stuff like that.

Last edited by takki; 09-08-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by takki

So offensively, I'd like a video that gives a basic overview of the simplest ways for a newbie to get someone a good look.
Yep. A tutorial on the basics of getting good looks offensively would be really helpful.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

OVR: 0

wow people are already afraid of the challege that awaits. I can understand due to most havent played organized bball. Like someone said , its all just taking 10 seconds and looking on youtube. Every scheme Czar posted is there and in plain english.

I love the idea but practice plays is back this year so trial and error will teach alot. Czar stated that those unfamilar with bball should play on lower difficulties until they pickup and understand the basics. HOF Sim is to be ignored by most here this year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
wow people are already afraid of the challege that awaits. I can understand due to most havent played organized bball. Like someone said , its all just taking 10 seconds and looking on youtube. Every scheme Czar posted is there and in plain english.

I love the idea but practice plays is back this year so trial and error will teach alot. Czar stated that those unfamilar with bball should play on lower difficulties until they pickup and understand the basics. HOF Sim is to be ignored by most here this year
No one is scared. People are just interested in learning more about basketball strategy. Simple tutorials that explain "Here's a pick-and-roll ... here's a pick-and-pop ... this is what you want to look for ... here's how to break a zone ... these are the situations where you would want to use this and that ... etc," are useful for teaching the game. And yes, you can practice plays now, but running plays is the easy part. To put it simply, I don't think people want to know which plays works ... I think people want to know WHY those plays works. Whether someone ever gets good enough to play on HOF difficulty is irrelevant. The more the game can teach real basketball strategy to people the better.

I think the simplest tutorial would be reading the help defense. Start the user off in a position where they already have a step on the defender. Their goal would then be to read which defender rotates to help, kick it out to the appropriate teammate for a shot, drop it off to the big on the opposite block, or finish at the rim if no one helps. It's the simplest, most basic concept of drive-and-kick offense, not to mention the fact that it would be a pretty fun mini-game.

Last edited by Pokes404; 09-08-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16

As far as im aware #SimNation exists to encourage all players to play sim. To play basketball the way it would be in real life or as close to it as possible. To learn and enjoy the experience

It does not exist to belittle, degrade or patronise people who do not play the same way.

Although I've bumped into a few SimNation guys who are incredibly condescending and judgemental, passive aggressive comments aimed to insult you are not abnormal.

But that is the minority. It would be a shame if they headed in that direction.

I consider myself a sim player but I do not consider myself a member of SimNation. I'm sim but not quite as sim as they are. While they strive to play realistic NBA basketball I just strive to play realistic basketball.

The difference is, a lot of SimNation wouldn't go near fantasy drafts or crazy trades that land Aldridge and CP3 in New York or whatever. To them, that isn't sim. Because it's not realistic.

To me. As long as those players still play they would have, I don't care. I enjoy that fantasy aspect. As long as the on court stuff is realistic.

Anyway... enough rambling.

Great thread idea. Hope it takes off. I may have some questions once the game is out. I have a strong foundation of basketball knowledge though (my mother was a coach, grew up around the game, played for most of my life) so we'll wait and see.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
Banned

Madden does this quite well. It's not so scary to understand these concepts when they are clearly explained and there are drills to help you play through these game aspects.

How do I go under a screen on bad shooters? Try it 3 times now and live with MCW or D-rose 3's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »